mtbr member
    May 2006

Maestro Suspesion

Why Giant doesn't have a Maestro based platform with 5-5.5" travel?
    Aren't they missing the all mountain market?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    For 2007 they've got it covered with the 4.2" Trance, 6" Reign, and 6.7" Reign X.
    Go with the new Reign

mtbr member

it's not needed think your self lucky they put 6" in the pot.

I think the bigest argument i hear on the all mountain type bike for 5" bikes is having a bike that does not pedal like mush ...and Maestro is that bike so we can have an extra inch with out the "oh my god thats to much mushy suspension".

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by dansadeh
    Why Giant doesn't have a Maestro based platform with 5-5.5" travel?
    Aren't they missing the all mountain market?
    Missing the All-Mountain market?

Seems to me they have it covered from all sides.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I see the OP's point.. There does seem to be a gap in between the Trance and Reign that isn't being addressed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    the anthem is 3.5" then the trance 4.2" then all the way up to 6". I wish the trance had 4.5" or 5". It does seem like there is a gap; the antem and trance are so close , and the trance and teh reign are far apart in travel. Why don't the make the trance into a 4.5 or 5" trail bike? it would make my decision for my next bike very easy!
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Hah, do they have to make a different bike for every damn inch............. I think Giant has more than enough choices, stop your complaining ;-)

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    It's almost like inches suspension travel is like megapixels in digicams. More is obviously better. I disagree with this. I consider myself a schmuck rider so what the hell do I know but having owned a Reign (last year) and currently a Trance I can say the Trance loses little compared to the Reign while being much more of a rocketship in an all around mode. If I setup the Reign rear for more responsiveness then I would not be use the rear travel. If I setup the Reign to use the travel, and how sweet it is, then the bike was not as responsive. One mans opinion with how I ride and I ride harder now than last year. While the 4" might seem limiting, in reality I think not. But from a marketing perspective it is limiting.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanPCN
    While the 4" might seem limiting, in reality I think not. But from a marketing perspective it is limiting.
    Sounds to me like *you* didn't need a 6" travel bike (and maybe bought one because of the marketing?). But this doesn't mean that others are in the same boat. I had the exact opposite experience going from a 28lb 4" bike to a 36lb 6" bike. Depending on your terrain, riding style/ability those extra 2 inches make a big difference (in my case, for the better).
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    While the 4" (travel of the Trance) might seem limiting, in reality I think not.
    If that is indeed so (and I believe it is not as limiting as one might believe too) , I think the same could be said of the 6" travel Reign. It can certainly wear more than one hat depending on how it is equipped, set up and ridden. And therein lies the beauty of these two bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    5.5" or 6", I don't think I would feel the difference with the same suspension system...
    Switched from 3.5" (true) horst to 6" Maestro, that felt like when I went from HT to FS though.
    //Harri

mtbr member
    Bear in mind that several people, myself included, have fitted 5-inch forks to the Trance (in my case, a Vanilla 125 RLC), so it's a 5 inch travel bike, at least at the front. I did my conversion at the point of sale for little extra cost. It appears that the Trance can take a 5 inch fork with upsetting the geometry.

Mel

mtbr member
    Have you even riden a Trance or Reign???? I think not, 'cause if you had you would know that thr Trance rides like it has more than the 4.2" and a lot of people use 115-130mm travel forks on them to match up to the how the rear feels. Personally I like my Trance as an AM bike since it can take some small jumps/drops and definitely climbs and decends superbly.

Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    the anthem is 3.5" then the trance 4.2" then all the way up to 6". I wish the trance had 4.5" or 5". It does seem like there is a gap; the antem and trance are so close , and the trance and teh reign are far apart in travel. Why don't the make the trance into a 4.5 or 5" trail bike? it would make my decision for my next bike very easy!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Sounds to me like *you* didn't need a 6" travel bike (and maybe bought one because of the marketing?). But this doesn't mean that others are in the same boat. I had the exact opposite experience going from a 28lb 4" bike to a 36lb 6" bike. Depending on your terrain, riding style/ability those extra 2 inches make a big difference (in my case, for the better).
    If this thread were about buying a long travel bike then...
    The point made was that Giant was missing the "all mountain" market by not having a 5-5.5 bike. Given how the Trance rides, verses specs, I obviously feel otherwise. Sure the Trance will not bash down/through rocks like a longer travel "all mountain" bike. Define "all mountain". Is all mountain a bomber bike that pedals well enough to not be annoying or is it a bike that pedals, maneuvers and bombs reasonably well in each regard. For me the Reign (21") with its 46" wheelbase, 17.2" CS, and high CG (14.75" BBH) does not maneuver that well verses my Trance (22", 44" WB, 13.25 BBH).

Motion activated
    If this thread were about buying a long travel bike then...
    The point made was that Giant was missing the "all mountain" market by not having a 5-5.5 bike. Given how the Trance rides, verses specs, I obviously feel otherwise. Sure the Trance will not bash down/through rocks like a longer travel "all mountain" bike. Define "all mountain". Is all mountain a bomber bike that pedals well enough to not be annoying or is it a bike that pedals, maneuvers and bombs reasonably well in each regard. For me the Reign (21") with its 46" wheelbase, 17.2" CS, and high CG (14.75" BBH) does not maneuver that well verses my Trance (22", 44" WB, 13.25 BBH).
    Maybe I was reading too much into your original post. For some people/trails more travel is a good thing and for some, less is more. One mans maneuverability is anotherís man twitchy etc.

All this talk about AM bikes being marketing has me
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

twitchy verse non twitchy

ya know i don't chime in much but all this gibber jabber leads me to one conclusion........................................ .............................if you guys would spend more time riding you would have less time to argue about what is the better bike. overcome and adapt! lol good day!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006

More of an opinion

I gotta join in on this.

I ride a 20" Trance. I've been riding it for almost a year now. I weigh about 190lb, consider myself an "aggressive novice", and a Clydesdale (albeit a small one). I also have two brothers that have been riding Reign's for the past year. They are bigger Clydesdales and are also "aggressive novices".

I only add this to add the qualifing background to the post. When I got the Trance I debated on the Trance/Reign question. A year later, after riding both bikes, being passed on uphills and downhills, passsing on uphills and downhills, all three of us riding the same trails, under the same conditions. I STILL can't say which is definatively the better bike for me. Although, I have to admit I did put a 130mm fork on mine. I am still conflicted on this question.

The travel issue just isn't as clear cut as it appears on paper. Rider ability still counts for more than two inches of suspension travel. The Reign is more cush, period. On a downhill it definately has an advantage, but where we ride, downhills are less than 20% of any single ride we do.

The Trance feels like a Miata. Light, fast, twitchy, nervous, and I love every minute I'm on it. Every time I ride my brother's Reign I think I want one, until I get back on mine. It's just not a black and white issue. For the average rider the question is still very subjective.

However, I will add this; For a Clydesdale of 220 lb or better (bigger) I do think the extra travel is more of an issue, almost a requirement. I can ride my brother's Reign but he really can't ride my Trance.

Here's an observation though: I have been reading this board for about 6 months now and I can find people with both bikes. BUUUUUUT has anyone out there actually traded one bike for the other, either way. Trance for Reign or vice versa? Anyone????

Just a thought,
    Oldn0tded

Members who have read this thread: 0