looking to upgrade, your thoughts and advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

looking to upgrade, your thoughts and advice

I have a 2016 giant stance 2. nice bike and does fine. now that I'm learning and starting to push myself more I'm thinking of giving my bike to my wife and buy me a new bike a little better than the stance. my limit is about $3,000.00 or possibly a tad more but.
    so I was looking at the new bikes giant has on offer and I'm pretty much a trail rider. no downhill parks here in louisiana. what I'm also wondering because I'm new to the group sets and suspension packages is what is the best deal.
    the new trance advance pro 3 looks great but the brakes and front fork as well as the new SX sram seem like a downgrade compared to the 2019 trance
    29 2? am I reading that right? should I just get a leftover 2019 stance 2? (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-29-2) the price for the 2019 is about 3,100.00, which the is about $300 cheaper. would I be missing something? should I be looking for a different model? I would like to have light nimble bike with good components but within my budget, tall order right, lol. I'm still not sure what's best between a 29 er or 27.5 and would I even know it if I tried them? I recently rode trails in Colorado and just loved it but the stance Suspension was pretty much pushed hard in some places. I found the brakes to be fine but with all the climbing I really wanted to have more range and a 1X system.
    if there's anything I missed please feel free to help me out. I also looked at a Santa Cruz 5010 and really liked the bike but it's a bit outside my price range. I really like giant bikes and have a really great relationship with my LBS / dealer with my road bike, a giant tcr. I love the tcr.
    thanks
    rob

mtbr member
    There are forum threads on the giant bikes you might be interested in, in this, the Giant forum. Go read them. The reason I say that is that the answers to your questions are there, in dozens of posts and you would be well served by reading them rather than rehashing in a new thread.

The Trance Advanced Pro 29 3 is composite (a more expensive frame with the cost offset by cheaper components) and the Trance Advanced 29 2 is alloy (cheaper frame with better components). The way in which Giant has decided to name their bikes is excessively complicated, to say the least.

The Stance is a single pivot design, so you're not getting the Maestro suspension.

29 Vs. 27.5. Well, there are several threads on that as well. I'm sure you'd see a difference one way or another.

If you want me to tell you what to do, get the Advanced Pro 29 3.
    I REALLY like that red color!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    There are forum threads on the giant bikes you might be interested in, in this, the Giant forum. Go read them. The reason I say that is that the answers to your questions are there, in dozens of posts and you would be well served by reading them rather than rehashing in a new thread.

I've been reading for weeks and I'm more confused than ever

The Trance Advanced Pro 29 3 is composite (a more expensive frame with the cost offset by cheaper components) and the Trance Advanced 29 2 is alloy (cheaper frame with better components). The way in which Giant has decided to name their bikes is excessively complicated, to say the least.

yes, makes no sense to me

I get the frame is composite but, is the frame worth the price over having to upgrade components? I would rather not buy a bike and tell my wife I need to spend more on upgrades. I just want a bike and ride it.

The Stance is a single pivot design, so you're not getting the Maestro suspension.

29 Vs. 27.5. Well, there are several threads on that as well. I'm sure you'd see a difference one way or another.

not a red fan but a blue fan so...........

thanks

rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob214 View Post
    not a red fan but a blue fan so...........

thanks

rob
    Based on my experience, I'd focus on a 29.

The carbon frame on the Pro will be lighter than on the Alloy 29 2. Other than that, they are both good quality frames and some people prefer alloy, as it is pretty durable. It's also available in blue. I've heard the paint on the alloy is a bit fragile, but I have chips on my carbon Pro 1. That has never bothered me.

The components on the alloy 29 2 are quite good. I think they're fine on the Pro 3 also, but not quite as good as the 29 2.

I demo'd a 29 2 alloy and it was the basis of choosing the Trance over the SB100, Ripley V3 and a couple others. I thought the Rhythm fork was a really pleasant surprise. I'm coming from a very high end Yeti SB5c and the alloy Trance climbed just as fast....at 4+ pounds heavier!

The SRAM NX was fine. I prefer Shimano, and swapped out my Guide T's but only because of personal preference. The Guides were decent brakes, once I got used to them.

The Marzocchi Z2 uses a Fox Float air spring (they were bought by Fox) and a Marzocchi damper. I don't think you can go wrong. I haven't heard anything bad about SRAM SX. I think the Shimano MT400 is just a Deore brake. Pretty sure it's a solid workhorse.

I don't think you could go wrong either way. At the least, I'd narrow it down to those two.

mtbr member
    msualumn nailed it. Another vote for the trance 29 advanced pro 3 from me. It's a great bike with a really solid set of components for an every day trail rider. Giant's warranty is also stellar (lifetime on carbon, first 2 years no questions asked policy on carbon components including crash damage etc).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post

What's the difference between the two ? how do the affect ridability ?
    ​SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

mtbr member
    Maestro is a multi-link with a virtual pivot point.
    Results in great anti-squat characteristics giving it much more efficient pedaling without bob.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chriso79 View Post
    Maestro is a multi-link with a virtual pivot point.
    Results in great anti-squat characteristics giving it much more efficient pedaling without bob.
    Again, what he said. Generally, you'll notice a sophisticated design most in it's performance while pedaling. However, these days there are some advantages in general descending performance where the goal is more then just maintaining traction while balancing pedal inputs. That being said, don't under estimate the flex stay single pivot bikes in these small travel formats.

The stance is not only a single pivot but it's eliminating a set of pivots from the rear end, which helps reduce weight, maintenance and adds a certain amount of poppyness and playfulness to the bike. Single pivot designs are generally good performers downhill, and the stance is no exception.

All that being said, where you are goign to notice this is standing pedaling and pedaling/climbing very technical and chunky terrain. These days, you have to be a very capable rider with years of experience to outrun the stance and need the trance. That being said, after a year on the bike, even a novice rider will start to notice the differences and shortcomings of one design over the other.

Summary? If you plan to keep the bike for a long while, and you really love the sport, get the trance. It's worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    Again, what he said. Generally, you'll notice a sophisticated design most in it's performance while pedaling. However, these days there are some advantages in general descending performance where the goal is more then just maintaining traction while balancing pedal inputs. That being said, don't under estimate the flex stay single pivot bikes in these small travel formats.

The stance is not only a single pivot but it's eliminating a set of pivots from the rear end, which helps reduce weight, maintenance and adds a certain amount of poppyness and playfulness to the bike. Single pivot designs are generally good performers downhill, and the stance is no exception.

All that being said, where you are goign to notice this is standing pedaling and pedaling/climbing very technical and chunky terrain. These days, you have to be a very capable rider with years of experience to outrun the stance and need the trance. That being said, after a year on the bike, even a novice rider will start to notice the differences and shortcomings of one design over the other.

Summary? If you plan to keep the bike for a long while, and you really love the sport, get the trance. It's worth it.
    As per another thread on here I was reading that there is limited damping on the rear suspension of the Trance ? It's made for medium or lighter riders ? Not for heavier riders and extreme stuff ?
    ​SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingBuffalo View Post
    As per another thread on here I was reading that there is limited damping on the rear suspension of the Trance ? It's made for medium or lighter riders ? Not for heavier riders and extreme stuff ?
    Answer to you question in the trance 29 thread...