link bearings for 2009 Trance X frame- Mtbr.com
    TRANCER

link bearings for 2009 Trance X frame

Posted this in the shock suspension forum but thought id post it here as well. Im going to change out the bearings on my Trance X frame and I think my LBS is trying to rip me off. I found the bearings on ebay for 45 bucks. Bike shop was quoting me 160 just on parts alone. Plus 80 bucks for labor. I'm planning on doing it myself now and have seen how to do it. But is the price I was quoted atleast close to whatever it should be at a bike shop?
    Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    do you think the shop is comfortable with this type of work? Sounds like they might not want the job...

Are the bearings giving you trouble, or is it more of a preventative thing? I'm just wondering if this service is in my future.

Currently muddy
    Jul 2008
    That's a ridiculous price. Are they buying you new links?
    I used the kit from real world cycling (Giant Suspension Pivot Bearing Kits from RWC) and did it myself with the method described in Lynx's post in this forum (http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/trance-...ow-242343.html). A socket set, bolts, washers, and a little courage are all you need.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by emptyvoxel View Post
    I used the kit from real world cycling (Giant Suspension Pivot Bearing Kits from RWC) and did it myself with the method described in Lynx's post in this forum (http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/trance-...ow-242343.html). A socket set, bolts, washers, and a little courage are all you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaPig View Post
    do you think the shop is comfortable with this type of work? Sounds like they might not want the job...

Are the bearings giving you trouble, or is it more of a preventative thing? I'm just wondering if this service is in my future.
    emptyvoxel i looked for that thread and couldnt find it even using the search feature. Thanks for the links. I am very mechanically inclined and am going to do it myself. Just wanted to see the best method since i have never done this before. Again Thanks!

SkaPig it's one of the better bike shops in my area and i have bought atleast 4 bikes from them in the past 2 years which is what has me a tad heated. I make them a nice chunk of change yearly not only on bikes but on accesories, parts and i get this in return. Nono I remember seeing the bearings on Ebay and remember the link emptyvoxel posted from a while back.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emptyvoxel View Post
    Well, Giant's bearing replacement kit does include links and bolts. You can't buy just the bearings from them, so it's certainly possible that it does.

Currently muddy
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    Well, Giant's bearing replacement kit does include links and bolts. You can't buy just the bearings from them, so it's certainly possible that it does.
    You've got a good point there, and judging by the online pricing for the linkage kits in the UK, $160 is probably about what it costs. The linkage kits come with all the bolts, bearings, and spacers.

Giant Trance X 08,09,10 Lower Link Pivot Bolt Set Only 45.00 from Pedal On
    Giant Trance X 08,09,10 Rear Swingarm Pivot Set Only 29.00 from Pedal On
    Giant Trance X 08,09,10 Rocker Arm Pivot Bolt Set Only 38.00 from Pedal On
    Giant Trance X 08,09,10 Shock Bolt Set Only 39.00 from Pedal On

Those add up to a lot of Euros! Unless you've broken a bolt there's no need for the whole linkage kit. I suppose another option would be to just buy the bearings elsewhere and bring them in to your local shop and see if they'd replace them.

TRANCER
    Double post.
    Last edited by Biohazard74; 08-22-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    Ride

TRANCER
    Ordered the bearings and I will do it myself. I took the whole rear end apart already and I found it very simple. I took pics of every step anyways just in case but doubt ill need them. Thanks to all for your input.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    try mbbearings.co.uk they stock all frame bearings