Just wanted to add some more Reign Qs.- Mtbr.com
    A Member
    Mar 2007

Just wanted to add some more Reign Qs.

Very keen on buying a Giant Reign Frame but need a few points clarified. Firstly what is the difference between the Reign and the Reign X, I think that that the X version has more travel and weighs more? Is it more strong? What is the differences in weight? Also what are the critical differences in a Reign frame throughout the years, I'm looking at a 2006 model. Also at 183cm and growing I guess I should go for the large? Are there differences in the different models of the Reign frame (reign 1, reign 2, etc)
    Also what would you expect to be a reasonable price range for just a second hand Reign frame and shock?
    I will have to run my current RS Reba's on the frmae untill I can afford some 160mm forks, apart from some geometry weirdness and weird feeling travel can I do this? Will it be totally pointless and I should just wait until I can afford both the frame and fork?

Is the steerer tube width for 1 1/8" forks?
    If anyone could help, even posting a link to somewhere relevant that would be great! I have read a lot on it and have a lot of "I thinks" but I want to KNOW before I buy one.
    Last edited by tiggles; 08-02-2007 at 12:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggles
    Very keen on buying a Giant Reign Frame but need a few points clarified. Firstly what is the difference between the Reign and the Reign X, I think that that the X version has more travel and weighs more? Is it more strong? What is the differences in weight? Also what are the critical differences in a Reign frame throughout the years, I'm looking at a 2006 model. Also at 183cm and growing I guess I should go for the large? Are there differences in the different models of the Reign frame (reign 1, reign 2, etc)
    Also what would you expect to be a reasonable price range for just a second hand Reign frame and shock?
    I will have to run my current RS Reba's on the frmae untill I can afford some 160mm forks, apart from some geometry weirdness and weird feeling travel can I do this? Will it be totally pointless and I should just wait until I can afford both the frame and fork?

Is the steerer tube width for 1 1/8" forks?
    If anyone could help, even posting a link to somewhere relevant that would be great! I have read a lot on it and have a lot of "I thinks" but I want to KNOW before I buy one.
    Most of those questions should be answered on their website, specs and geometry.
    0,1,2 models differ in components, they share the same frame.
    Yes, the X has a beefed up frame, 0.7" more travel (!) and more FR-oriented components.
    Figure 3-4 lbs heavier for similar spec'd X relative to Reign, but I'm not sure where you can find '06 specs anymore:
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/

Since most people run their Reigns with Pike or Talas forks, yes I think your Reba is too short for that bike.

Yes they have 1 1/8" steerer, X1 included.

A Member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks thats waht I was after, the nz version of the giant site does not have the bikes on them!
    Thanks especially for the information that the frames are all the same

Members who have read this thread: 0