Just ordered 08 XTC2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Just ordered 08 XTC2

I know this thread it pointless without pics but I just ordered my XTC 2. I know I could have gone with the 1 and got a better fork and "better" brakes but I was afraid that the brakes would have just been cheapo hydros so I stuck with the 2 with intent to upgrade (and I like the black better ) pictures will be up once the bike comes in. Also got a Park Tool bike stand for my birthday so that will give the bike a nice pose!

Anyone else thinkin about ordering an XTC?

SuperInstigator
    My brother is. He was gonna order the Ranier (with a better fork and brakes among other components), but it can no longer be ordered, having been replaced by the XTC. The XTC is good because of the frame though...

Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    I thought the same thing. A good frame I can upgrade. I can't wait to get it....

I work at my LBS now and get a pretty good (really good) discount, so I was able to get it on an employee discount from Giant. My LBS also sells GT so my girlfriend just ordered her 08 Avalanche 2.0 Disc. Pretty sweet. Just thought I'd ramble a bit.

SuperInstigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27
    I thought the same thing. A good frame I can upgrade. I can't wait to get it....

I work at my LBS now and get a pretty good (really good) discount, so I was able to get it on an employee discount from Giant. My LBS also sells GT so my girlfriend just ordered her 08 Avalanche 2.0 Disc. Pretty sweet. Just thought I'd ramble a bit.
    I also work at a bike shop. I thought I was going to get the bike at cost, but I'm not sure. The manager guy said that it's gonna be 600$ including shipping. My brother is fine with that, but the Ranier was 450 including shipping, so I'm wondering if he's factoring in the employee discount. Does 600 sound right?

Thanks,
    Tim

mtbr member
    No not at all. Retail is 650-700 and employee discount is around half of retail.

SuperInstigator
    No not at all. Retail is 650-700 and employee discount is around half of retail.
    Thanks! That's awesome. Now he can fix his Xbox with the money left over...

Tim

mtbr member
    Sorry no pictures of the new rig still waiting to get it! Just had a few questions...

The front der. is Shimano and the rear is Sram. Do a lot of companies mix like this? Not a big deal just wondering. Also, what could the Sram X5 der. be compared to in the Shimano lineup?

Now for the brakes... Hayes MX4s. I have had these brakes before I am just surprised they come on this $700 bike when I had them on my $300 Iron Horse 1.3 that I use to have. How do they compare to BB5s or BB7s?

As you can tell I am just very anxious to get my bike and talking about it is holding me over =)

SuperInstigator
    Sorry no pictures of the new rig still waiting to get it! Just had a few questions...

The front der. is Shimano and the rear is Sram. Do a lot of companies mix like this? Not a big deal just wondering. Also, what could the Sram X5 der. be compared to in the Shimano lineup?
    Yea, Sram makes good RDs and shifters, but in general, their FDs are pretty bad. You'll see a lot of bikes with a mix like this. I'm thinking X5=Deore or maybe less?

Now for the brakes... Hayes MX4s. I have had these brakes before I am just surprised they come on this $700 bike when I had them on my $300 Iron Horse 1.3 that I use to have. How do they compare to BB5s or BB7s?
    Hayes actually makes okay mech discs. BB7s are much better, and BB5s are better IMO, but the MX4s may be able to compete with BB5s
    As you can tell I am just very anxious to get my bike and talking about it is holding me over =)
    As you noticed, the frame is pretty good for that price point. Consequently, Giant had to skimp a little on the components (over the Ranier) to give you a good frame that is well worth upgrading in the future without having the frame hold you back.

Tim

I AM I AM
    Yes it has been the norm to have a shimano front dereailleur and a rear sram one mainly because sram has only recently started manufacturing front derailleurs themselves.

SX5 is supposedly like last years X7 so should be equivalent to at least the Shimao Deore level. At worst it would be equivalent to Alivio but I would tend to think it's more like doere. And with sram you will find it won't need adjustment anywhere near as often as shimano normally does.

I recently got an Alias (Australia) for my husband, I have ridden it of course & it's a great bike. Surprisingly enjoyable to ride considering I have a Trance, so much so it's left me wanting a hardtail of my own again. Anyway it has the same goemetry as the XTC and for $800Au on sale it came with pretty decent spec ('07 model).

I was just looking at the specs and in Australia we seem to get better specs on the XTC2, but I would say that it's equally dearer to buy as well. Even the sizing differs where the 17" is a small here and the small size frame is 16" in the US leading to slightly different geometry.

In the end I think you always get what you pay for, Giant is generally known to pack some great value for money in their deals so if you don't quite see it in the components well then I suppose it must be in the frame.

mtbr member
    I noticed that the Australian bike had a little better stuff on them. I would love to have the Australian version here in the U.S., no one would have the same bike as me! Thanks for the help!

Jul 2007

XTC Alliance

I've been oogling the XTC Alliance ever since my local wrench told me about them. The shop has the XTC1 on the floor already and I picked it up...seemed pretty heavy surprisingly for aluminum, but maybe I've been focused on skinny tires for far too long.

Anyone know approximate weight details for the line? Or does it even matter? I know previously I thought carbon on an off-road frame seemed like a crash replacement policy waiting to be tested.

It's old and cheap I know, but my current MTB = 1995 Trek 7000, Rock Shox Mag 21, with Shimano STX-RC. Almost anything will be a huge upgrade...especially in the brakes department. I'm only just now finally using it on a regular basis.

mtbr member
    I will weigh mine when it comes in and let you know. UGH I can't wait, someone post a pic or something to hold me over.

Does anyone even have an XTC2 yet? Ive seen someone had the 1 already...

mtbr member
    Heres a pic of my XTC to tide you over. Just moved to london so popped some rigid forks on her as there aint so many hills as there were in the country.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your ride.

mtbr member
    Nice, what year is that?

mine should be in today...

mtbr member
    the one i posted above is the 2008 XTC team frame with custom build kit.

Magura Marta SL (with stainless braided hoses)
    SRAM X.0 shifters
    SRAM X.0 rear mech
    XTR front mech
    XT crankset
    Crossmax SL
    RC31 carbon forks (did have some Fox F100X, but they died a premature death)
    Easton EC90 Zero carbon seat post
    Race Face Dues XC stem
    Race Face NEXT carbon bars
    Race Face grips
    Ti-Fly Saddle
    and Nokon cables to finish

Comes in at around 17.8lbs

mtbr member
    well i got the bike today and put it all together and lets just said i love it.

I have race face bars, wtb stem and lock on grips, new funn urban camo seat to go on still but i will take pics when i get the camera workin.

if anyone is wondering about buyin this bike, buy it, it is nice!

Sep 2007
    I am looking at purchasing a XTC 2 or a Yukon. I'm not sure what to go with but i'm sure the XTC 2 is a superior bike. I'm just not sure if I want to spend that much

I AM I AM
    What's the max travel you would put on the XTC?
    I was experimenting with the Alias today, switched the 130mm Tora off my trance & put it on the Alias, just to see the difference.
    The tora is of course plusher than the Dart 2 so partly I was testing to see what it would be like with a better fork. Obviously it was taller but felt kind of confident and a bit weird at the same time, I certainly don't think that much travel would be too good for the bike, however a plusher 100, maybe 120mm max fork would be.
    Maybe it was the change in geometry but I did notice when you head up hill with the Tora at that travel you do get more bob (compared to the stiff ass dart 2 @100mm), so I can see that a lockout is most useful on a ht!

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by JediSpam
    I am looking at purchasing a XTC 2 or a Yukon. I'm not sure what to go with but i'm sure the XTC 2 is a superior bike. I'm just not sure if I want to spend that much
    Besides the component differences, the XTC 2 has a more aggressive geometry than the Yukon. Something you want to consider--if you ride off-road hard, or want to ever try racing, you'll want the XTC.

I live to bike

Very normal, many bikes from many companies spec'ed that way. X5 should be about equivalent to Deore.

The Hayes are ok, not super, but not bad. Similarly to BB5, but don't have a tension screw, IIRC. I have noticed that Hayes rotors tend to stay truer than Avid rotors.

Hopefully, the Stroker brakes that come on the XTC 1 break in nicely, because they don't do so well on the parking lot test when having just put the bike together, just don't seem to have much power (hard to lock). Their feel and modulation is nice, though.

Overall, the XTCs are a nice line of bikes. We've had the 1s and 2s in our shop; we haven't ordered any of the Alliance model, so I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

Sep 2007
    Yeah i'm looking for off-road. Thanks

Nov 2006
    Here my XTC2 2007 in action.

Members who have read this thread: 0