Just got Fathom 2, 27.5 - initial impressions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Just got Fathom 2, 27.5 - initial impressions

Maybe for someone who is looking for the info about this bike it will be helpful. Unfortunately I could not find reviews about this bike on the web, only commercial\technical info

I just traded in my Specialized Hardrock 27.5 (version with V-brake):
    http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/s...l#post13656791
    for Fathom 2, 27.5 wheel size.

I took it for the first ride this morning to the park with light trails and so far I am very impressed with this bike. My frame is L, based on what they recommended in the shop, and it is way lighter than my hardrock, which was XL.

Here is my short video

So far, so good! I like it !!!

Ride !

mtbr member
    I have a fathom 2 and love it, and it is usually my first choice when deciding on what bike to ride. I am partial to hardtails though.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Here's my 2017 Fathom 2. I made a couple upgrades.

Just got Fathom 2, 27.5 - initial impressions-20180520_143933.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    I have a fathom 2 and love it, and it is usually my first choice when deciding on what bike to ride. I am partial to hardtails though.

What fork is that you're running? I might have to buy a new one if Suntour doesn't warranty my stock Raidon (can't use full travel).

mtbr member
    May 2018
    jeremy3220, what kind of upgrades did you make? to reduce weight ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjazzz View Post
    jeremy3220, what kind of upgrades did you make? to reduce weight ?
    I went to 1x11 SLX (partially due to the 2x9 dropping chains), put a 2.3 Maxxis DHF on the front, 60mm stem and 787mm Deity bars, and just had to replace the stock dropper with a OneUp 170mm dropper.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Got it! thanks for info. I will stick to the stock config for now, 2X10.
    Going to ride today, but this time more advanced trail, will see how it goes

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Update 2:
    Yesterday, I went to real trail with my co-workers, unlike the trail near my house, this trail is more complex, with hard climbs and twisty descends:
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/168...ar-creek-trail
    I went there many times, but with Specialized Hardrock with V-Brakes and it was scary to go faster downhill, or just going fast on flat twisty narrow trails.
    With Fathom it was blast to ride, it felt so good, brakes responsive, I can literally use 2 fingers on the lever and feel confident I will be able to brake hard in case I will need to.
    Also I had to get used to short stem, with short stem the steering feels way more responsive to my taste unlike 100mm stem on specialized, I had to get used to it, almost lost control at some point
    Stock pedals need to be upgraded, I slipped on my pedals too many times even when I was trying to climb, so this is the fist thing I need to upgrade, please let me know which pedals do you use? I know there are many pedals available, but any advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    In summary:
    I am not experienced mtb rider, just getting into it, and so far, I feel like this is perfect bike for me, which tells me that the guy in my local shop did a great job helping me to choose the right one

Just got Fathom 2, 27.5 - initial impressions-img_2672.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    What fork is that you're running? I might have to buy a new one if Suntour doesn't warranty my stock Raidon (can't use full travel).
    Rock shox pike.

mtbr member
    Update 2:
    Yesterday, I went to real trail with my co-workers, unlike the trail near my house, this trail is more complex, with hard climbs and twisty descends:
    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/168...ar-creek-trail
    I went there many times, but with Specialized Hardrock with V-Brakes and it was scary to go faster downhill, or just going fast on flat twisty narrow trails.
    With Fathom it was blast to ride, it felt so good, brakes responsive, I can literally use 2 fingers on the lever and feel confident I will be able to brake hard in case I will need to.
    Also I had to get used to short stem, with short stem the steering feels way more responsive to my taste unlike 100mm stem on specialized, I had to get used to it, almost lost control at some point
    Stock pedals need to be upgraded, I slipped on my pedals too many times even when I was trying to climb, so this is the fist thing I need to upgrade, please let me know which pedals do you use? I know there are many pedals available, but any advise or guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    In summary:
    I am not experienced mtb rider, just getting into it, and so far, I feel like this is perfect bike for me, which tells me that the guy in my local shop did a great job helping me to choose the right one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2672.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	1200773
    As far as pedals go there are several choices, I prefer DMR vaults but they are pricey and will make you pay if your foot comes off of them.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    wow! looks scary !

mtbr member
    May 2018
    update 3
    ========
    I was riding this bike almost every day to park after work, and during the weekends I took it to different nearby trails... so far all I can say - I love it! it just the best bike I've ever had, after bikes from Wallmart and Specialized hard-rock, which was my last bike.
    It handles great, cornering is superb, 2X10 provides plenty of gears I can adjust, depending if I am tired or ready to pedal hard I can climb relatively long ascents as long as I have enough pedaling power in my legs and wheels have traction.
    I replaced stock pedals with Forte platform pedals and they provide plenty of grip.
    Just got Fathom 2, 27.5 - initial impressions-img_2817.jpg

mtbr member
    Yeah it is a great bike, just put some new wheels on mine. Still my first choice when it comes to choosing a bike to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    natas1321, are these Maxis Icon tires?

btw
    Having blast riding it! love the bike!
    Just got Fathom 2, 27.5 - initial impressions-img_2902.jpg

mtbr member
    Maxxis minions.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    natas1321
    Thanks!

I want to convert it to 1X11 or 1X12
    I see that you have converted it, please let me know what components you are using, such as group set, crank, bracket etc..
    thanks !

jcd's best friend
    Hey, do you have the 19 Fathom 2? You didn't specify in your first post and I wasn't sure when the 19s rolled out on the sales floor.

I am looking to buy one so I can do some XC riding. I sold my Stumpjumper and now I ride a Giant Defy Advanced 2 for all of my road cycling. After tasting some road bike speed and building my endurance on this bike, it makes me want to get a XC bike and just go at it on the trails once again.

The 19s are for sale on the Giant website and they come with a 1x10 setup as stock for the Fathom 2. I want to get the Fathom 1 but I need to save a few bucks after buying my Defy. I also noticed that the 19 Fathom 2 has the same paint scheme as my Defy (red and black)!
    Trek …monda | Transition Scout | Norco Search C Ultegra

mtbr member
    I got my 2019 Fathom 1 a couple weeks ago on a whim when I went in to shop bikes for my wife. She picked out a Liv for herself. Iíve only ridden it about 15 miles or so, but Iím liking it. Sorry, no pics, but itís stock anyways.

mtbr member
    natas1321
    Thanks!

I want to convert it to 1X11 or 1X12
    I see that you have converted it, please let me know what components you are using, such as group set, crank, bracket etc..
    thanks !
    Sorry for the delay, 1x11 shimano slx group set and has held up well no complaints.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollyrogers View Post
    I got my 2019 Fathom 1 a couple weeks ago on a whim when I went in to shop bikes for my wife. She picked out a Liv for herself. Iíve only ridden it about 15 miles or so, but Iím liking it. Sorry, no pics, but itís stock anyways.
    I am installing a full XT groupset and brakes on my Fathom 2 as we speak. You can get the groupset for $314 from Chain Reaction while it's on sale. Better hurry before it runs out!

Shimano XT M8000 1x11 Drivetrain Groupset | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Trek …monda | Transition Scout | Norco Search C Ultegra

mtbr member
    Just did some magura last week which was needed and past due.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I am installing a full XT groupset and brakes on my Fathom 2 as we speak. You can get the groupset for $314 from Chain Reaction while it's on sale. Better hurry before it runs out!

Shimano XT M8000 1x11 Drivetrain Groupset | Chain Reaction Cycles
    That is a great price, but my Fathom 1 came with an SLX cassette/derailleur and Praxis crankset. Not sure if it would be worth my time/effort/money for the riding I am doing.