iguana bashring?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

iguana bashring?

Hi there, I have an 03' Giant Iguana and I'd like to fit it with a bash ring. lbs who sold me the bike was no help, they said the chainrings are ?grommeted? togethor, I checked and they are not! I dont think I'd like to lose my 3rd (big) chain ring. Any suggestions? I have'nt seen any bashring that go over the big chainring.
    Thanks alot,
    Dean

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I got the same bike and cracked the little plastic chain guard some how, so i just took it off, but my 3rd ring has taken some bashes, yet it's holdin' up nice. get one if you ride a lot of stair/step or over big rocks and logs for sure

Rollin' a fatty
    Race Face and others make bashrings that may fit your crankset, you don't need to loose the big ring but it's the usual way to do it. I know people that have the 3 rings + bashring with no problems.

Probably you'll need to get longer ring bolts to make it fit right.

Take a look at your rings and determine if they're 4 or 5 holes and the size, usually the rings will have it written down. It's something like 104mm or so.

bi-winning

Me 2

Quote Originally Posted by bountainmike
    I got the same bike and cracked the little plastic chain guard some how, so i just took it off, but my 3rd ring has taken some bashes, yet it's holdin' up nice. get one if you ride a lot of stair/step or over big rocks and logs for sure
    I have that funny little plastic gaurd on my Ranier too.. I cracked it going over a log, but its only broken at the one screw, its not rattleing so i left it on.

mtbr remember
    Salsa makes an excellent ring guard in both 5 and 4 bolt patterns that go on the outside of the third ring. I have one on my NRS and it has taken some decent hits- It isn't as beefy as other bash rings that replace the third ring, but it does the job. You have to readjust your derailleur so it doesnt' hit. It comes with different size spacer for different cranks. If your crankset isn't riveted together I'm sure the salsa ring guard would work. Check it out, I definetly recommend it.

Members who have read this thread: 0