mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Hows the Fork on the TranceX 1?

Just wondering how everyone likes the Fox F120RL fork on your Trance X's. I am torn between getting a frame and building one with a Revelation air fork, or just buying one an X1. I have read so many reviews of Fox shocks not really getting all of the travel, and there are only 2 reviews of the 08' fork, so i figured you guys may have some helpful insight. Thanks, Jesse.

Quack Attack
    I have the XO and love the fork. It has more than enough travel for my riding style (everything but DH). Test ride one to see for yourself.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

Scott is a tool.
    Hey Jesse, i've got a Rev Air U-turn on my X. I only got rid of the Fox because i'm a Rockshox guy, it was never a travel issue. In my experience alot of my riding buddy's have had trouble with their Fox forks, but they love the performance. The other bonus of the Rev is the travel adjust, it allows you to really fine tune the geometry to where you are riding. You could get a Talas, but you only have the 3 options.

Bottom line for me is get a Rev, you wont regret it.

Wal.

mtbr member
    Talas forks tend to have the odd reliability issue. Iím not a fan of Rock Shox ever since the compression ****ed up and I went over the bars but apparently they have improved allot since then even if I do still hear stories of them diving through their travel.

The F-120 is a very good fork thatís very reliable, it will give you full travel when you need it, is very smooth, feels slightly stiffer than itís Float brothers but is still lighter does the job of bump absorption extremely well.

I would get the X1 because it is such good value and change anything you donít like.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Still not getting full travel in 2008

Actually I measured the travel in my F120RL. Couldn't get more than 110 mm even trying reeaaally hard, playing with pressure and rebound. It works quite well as for air spring. Very linear, even too much as it hits a bit harsh at the end of stroke. Very active on small bumps, not so stellar with bigger hits. This is very individual choice but I replaced it with coil/air Marzocchi that has true 130 mm and nicer characteristic. Over 300g penalty and tad slacker head tube angle are price though... BTW. My Fox was 1650 g not 1560 as advertised (sorry for metric values).

Members who have read this thread: 0