mtbr member
    May 2005

how to speed up my trance 3 for xc racing

Hi all.
    I have an 18" giant trance 3 and i was wondering are there ways to clever it up for xc racing.
    I like a firm rear shock as I still enjoy my HT but apart from buying expensive lighter parts are there other ways to alter the bike to a more agressive geometry.
    My mate has turned the stem upside down , says its better for climbing and I saw somewhere that some reviewer preferred the trance with 80mm travel front fork.
    Is there any truth in these type changes.
    I love the bike and dont want to / cant afford to change it..so no anthem suggestions :-)

Thanks

P

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    as your buddy did..look at your positioning on the bike...

depending on what fork you have, you might be able to reduce the travel...however I think the trance does fine at 100mm....

look at your tires...you might be able to use lighter, faster rolling tires that may help you go faster at the expense of less traction in some situations

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

tires and fork will help

The tire suggestion is excellent. I would put a light 2.0, 2.1 on front 450 to 500 grams, and a 1.9 300 to 350 grams in the rear.

I used my 2005 trance with a SID Race (80mm travel) up front and really liked the way it felt. I like a steep head angle. The SID is also about 300 grams lighter than the 100mm fork your bike has.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I like Pedro's idea, lightening your rotating weight will give you the most pronouced effect. I would go stans conversion with a set of the Specialized Fast Trak S Works 2Bliss. 515 grams and mount up with minimal sealant and hassle. To further reduce rotating mass, a set of Crossmax's would be SWEET!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    The shorter travel fork will speed up the handling, but it will also lower your bottom bracket. I don't know the standard BB height, so I am not sure that it would or would not be an issue. You could always sell off your Trance frame and pick up a used Anthem frame. You could still keep your 100mm fork and still have good XC geometry with the Anthem.

mtbr member
    I raced an '06 Trance 2 for a half year and it was fine. The suspension climbs well enough that you can remain in the hunt, but the more upright seating position and heavier bike certainly hold you back. As mentioned grab a set of sub 450g tires and light Maxxis tubes just for race day, and wammo you just lost a pound of rotational weight. I wouldn't flop the stem though because you want your regular riding position to remain the same. The bike is a fine compromise for a regular trail bike and part time beginner class racer.

-

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    american classics wheelset. light and very durable. made my 05 giant rain much faster!!

Members who have read this thread: 1