How to ride uphill?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. How to ride uphill?

Often when I try to ride my '03 NRS w/SID up a rooty, rocky kinda technical hill I fail to make it because I can't keep the back tire hooked up. It's always bouncing and losing traction.

If I set the SID positive chamber lower than recommended and the negative chamber higher it helps.

Don't have this problem in western terrain, like Sedona and Moab, but have trouble often on the tougher trails here at home.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I love Pisgah
    I think its more a riding style thats demanded for the different conditions, as you've described. Wet red clay covered roots and rocks here so common in the southern Aps need a high degree of finiese, that effectively uses some of the moves thats otherwise used/seen for a "true" uphill bunnyhob. I consider myself an accomplished rider up climbs thats the worst techy stuff that Pisgah can offer. I also consistantly finish in at least the top half of my age group in the Sport class and loooove to climb. Aaaaaanyways...riding 3 weeks ago with a good friend whom was on my barrowed HT for that day(and I was on my custom built race quality 24lb NRS1 O3 framed..ride). He cleaned a super steep very wet slick red clayed worn out rutted rooty hell of a climb(that i use for training 3-4 times a week at sometimes so i know the climb)and i didn't(tried twice too)...on MY frick'n HT backup mud race loaner parts bike. Go figure. My point is...he was on a HT, and I, a full suspension thats at least setup right, and with all the good stuff. Its just plain obvious this day he used better technique regarding all the aspects of climbing such. ie balance, weight distribution, loading and unloading the front and rear at the right times, etc..then I did. Its not about the bike..most of the time, unfortunately. This was a perfect example. I "could" have blamed the bike, but I know better.

Duckout
    Last edited by Duckman; 02-27-2004 at 08:33 PM.

mtbr member

video footage of some great climbing skills

hey i just checked out these guys climbing and they put me to shame....

look for the 2nd video Arizona 100% climbing @24mb......

http://www.petefagerlin.com/video_gallery.htm