Thread: how plush

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

how plush

do your trances feel? I have test rode one in the parking lot , but not in the woods. It felt ready to go when I was and it felt nice going down stairs. Just not a trail test. how many trance owners wish they had 5 inches instead of 4.2?I wonder how giant came up with 4.2 instead of an even 4.5" or 5".
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

Going for a ride......
    For me the rear shock has been perfect, at the right sag I've only ever used probably 90 - 95% of the travel, and thats going off some small jumps or gutters etc. It always feels nice & plush. It's just one of those things I can set & forget (apart from cleaning of course) It's the front fork that I'm still trying to get perfect (not that there's too many settings to play with on the Tora).
    For general trail riding I find the travel enough, if I was doiing bigger drops & jumps I guess I could always increase the air pressure in the shock, but if that was the case then I probably would have brought a reign.
    energetix

mtbr member

Plush as I want.

My Trance is as plush as I want it to be and that's the truth, I can set it depending on what sort fo trail/terrain I'm going to be riding on. I generally have to do some road riding and road hills getting to and from and in-between trails here so I generally have the rear setup in a compromise setting which makes the road riding no so "heavy/ bouncy" yet is plush enough for the trail, yet not super plush. If I could ride strictly trails I could easily set it up so plush wouldn't be enough of a discription. This is why I'm gona be gettig a FOX RP23 in the near future.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    do you ever wish you had more travel. or is it quality over quantity. most giant riders say the maestro is great. a lot of others say that it is a gimick. maestro suspension felt really good in my parking lot demo. But then again I ride a hard tail so I don't have a real comparision to any other full squish.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

I ride bikes
    Apr 2006
    My Trance 1 is amazingly plush if I want it to be - F100RL up front and RP3 in the back. I'm also running tubeless tires. I've compared it to a Trek Fuel EX9 and Cannondale Rush and the Trance is way better in every way. If I put the propedal at the low setting and run low pressure in the rear it's so comfortable on the trail.

4 inches of travel seems to be just enough for me - I wouldn't want any less. The Reign is just a little on the heavy side for trail riding. If I was doing jumps and downhill stuff I might consider it.
    2006 Giant Trance 1

Members who have read this thread: 0