How light can a Reign X be built?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How light can a Reign X be built?

I was sketching some set-ups, and I came with this doubt: can a Reign X be built light enough to take the whole trail up and down? I don't know the exact weight for the frame, and if any fat was trimmed in the 08 version. But my concerns are about building a tough bike but still a nice pedaling bike to climb steep trails and keep all of its downhill power.

I was thinking about some light wheelset as the Crossmax ST and light yet tough components (along a 3 chainring crankset) like a mix of XT/XTR components with Avid or Hayes carbon brakes, and a Thomson/Easton or Race Face cockpit. Do you guys think it can hit around 31 lbs?

I was thinking about the new redesigned Reign, but although it seems a great bike, the X still looks tougher.

Any clues?

mtbr member
    If I remember well stock Reign X0 2007 with air fork and shock was about 33 lbs, so 31 can't be that hard with air suspension.... on the other hand I think 33 lbs is a great score for such a DH worthy trail bike as Reign X.... 2 pounds won't make that much difference really....
    Passion beyond reason!

jones'in
    For what it's worth:
    I'm on an '07 X1 (which is in the 37 lb range) and I ride it pretty much everywhere, both up *and* down. Often I'm at the back of the pack if I'm riding in a group, but I always get there. So, if you can build a Reign X in the 30-33 lb range, you'll be doing just fine.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    I was sketching some set-ups, and I came with this doubt: can a Reign X be built light enough to take the whole trail up and down? I don't know the exact weight for the frame, and if any fat was trimmed in the 08 version. But my concerns are about building a tough bike but still a nice pedaling bike to climb steep trails and keep all of its downhill power.

I was thinking about some light wheelset as the Crossmax ST and light yet tough components (along a 3 chainring crankset) like a mix of XT/XTR components with Avid or Hayes carbon brakes, and a Thomson/Easton or Race Face cockpit. Do you guys think it can hit around 31 lbs?

I was thinking about the new redesigned Reign, but although it seems a great bike, the X still looks tougher.

Any clues?
    Yes...well sorta.
    I originally had an 16" '05 Reign 1 and I swapped out the wheels for my King w/517/DB spokes wheelset with salsa skewers, switched over to X9 shifters with X0 rear derailleur,juicy 7 discs and frog pedals. The bike weighed in at 29.3lbs. according to our shop scale and did a good weekend at Mammoth Mountain without any problems.
    I'm not that fast....You're just slow.
    Titus Racer-X 80, Giant Reign 1, Fat Chance Titanium

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Why do you want a "light" 6.7" travel bike? Does your trail need that?
    It just me, but you may be satisfied with 5-5.5" travel which will give you that light weight without compromising with the strength it's intended for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider
    Why do you want a "light" 6.7" travel bike? Does your trail need that?
    It just me, but you may be satisfied with 5-5.5" travel which will give you that light weight without compromising with the strength it's intended for.
    It might not be cheap, but a few quality "AM" parts upgrades should get the X0 to 30lbs pretty easily, without being prone to breakage with some hard riding.

The X1 benefits from upgrades the most since it has more heavy parts (crank, cassette, cockpit, etc)
    Last edited by fsrxc; 07-26-2007 at 12:15 PM.

squish is good
    I'm sure you could crack 30 lbs, but you'd be spending a fortune and end up with some fragile equipment, just ride it like it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    A "normal" Reign is a pretty tough bike too - you really have to be hucking it off some big things to warrant a Reign X, in my opinion. I'm 220lbs and my Reign 2 copes more than well with light DH stuff.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I noticed in the pics of the new 08 model, that the Reign has recieved a nice face lift and still it seems ultra tough, more yet in the rear. It could cope easily with the nastiest stuff on the trail and come back home with a smile.

But as mentioned by Clutchman, the Reign X is a robust bike that may be seriously injuried by lighter parts, so keep it as much close to the real deal as possible may be a wise consideration. Maybe go lighter in some parts that won't make that much difference in the toughness of the bike, but parts that recieve the most stressfull treatment like wheels, cogs, chain and pedals, as well as the seatpost, stem and handlebar, they have to be die hard.

But I'll wait to see the new Reign. Maybe it meets my expectatives and then I won't need that much bike the Reign X is. Unless I feel like going to Whistler in the next summer...

Members who have read this thread: 0