mtbr member
    Apr 2006

How can I put Wiffy's Reign 3 on a Diet?

Recently Wiffy and I got new Reigns. I did a custom build with a new frame and I got her a Reign 3 with an upgrade to a Minute Fork. We do AM trail riding and the bikes work great. She pulled off a unexpected 5 footer the other day in Flag with no prob. I instantly knew I made the right choice by not getting her the Trance. Her 3 is not light. My custom build has hi end icomponets and is lighter. What is the best way to lightening her load? I recently had to get her a shorter stem. She is 5'3" and rides a 15" frame. All I could find were DH stems, and that just added more wieght. Any help? Im thinking a wheel set would be the best way to start.

mtbr member
    You could go tubeless, which would reduce unsprung, rotational weight - it would make the biggest difference in how the bike rides.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Tires, wheels, handlebars / seatpost / seat, cranks, brakes, bolts, stickers...

It just depends how far you want to take it while still being classed as an "AM" bike. Its pointless going super light weight and sacrificing strength or rideability, you have to think about what you can do that will make a worthwhile difference.

Tire will be most noticeable both in weight and rolling resistance, but you have to weigh that up against traction and resistance to flats. Same with wheels, a pair of weight weenie XC wheels isn’t going to help, but if she's a lighter rider she might be able to get away with something a bit lighter then usual.

A carbon bar will help with both weight and comfort, and a lighter seatpost is easy weight saved. From there on you can start to get picky with crank and bottom bracket weights, followed by brakes (again you don’t want to skimp on a bike like this), aluminium or titanium bolts etc.

Posting a component spec either here or on the weight weenie board might help others in giving you a better idea of what you could do.

Dave.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thanks guys Ill start with the tires. The stock bulldogs suck.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    thanks guys Ill start with the tires. The stock bulldogs suck.
    Burn the wire-bead 'Dogs, if only to stop some poor fool from using them. Stock 450g SRAM cassette to XT instant saving of ~200g, sell the 317/Cerit wheelset and get something lighter (she can prob get away with 4.1/Hope ProII, saving ~230g), Revelation fork and Juicy's will do the rest.. ta da, sub 30 Reign...

Members who have read this thread: 0