help me make my reign fit me!- Mtbr.com

Jun 2007

help me make my reign fit me!

I have a 2005 reign 2 which I love but I feel its not really adjusted to me. It was a present so I wasn't there to get fitted in the bike shop and although I think its the right size (I'm 5'11" and its an 18") it doesn't feel quite right. In order to pedal efficiently I've got the seat so high its a good inch or two higher than the handlebars and I'm not even going by the straight leg road bike trick. This setup feels great for climbing but on long flat stretches I feel I'm leaning forward too much and putting way too much pressure on my palms. They usually hurt after not too long and there is no position I can ride in to give them a rest, short of riding hands free.

With the seat in this position I feel awfully high and awkward on downhills and its really hard to lean back behind the seat for drop offs and extra steep sections. I usually lower my saddle when I know I'm going to go downhill for any amount of time.

So im wondering if anyone else feels like this and has fixed this problem. Im thinking a shorter DH style stem and some 2.5" riser bars will help. I have the stock 2005 reign 2 components right now, a 5" or so raceface stem and what looks like 1.5" risers.

Any suggestions or solutions?

mtbr member
    yup, sounds like you need a stem with more rise and/or higher rise handlebars. maybe get the bars first and mess with the stem later or which ever is cheaper.

mtbr member
    Sounds like maybe your saddle is pointed too low at the nose. This makes your hips angle forward while pedaling and puts more pressure on your hands.

Raise the nose of the saddle a little and see. It's a cheap thing to check.

spinner
    Thats exactly how my 06 feels and despite changing a few things , it's still not quite right.

I'm 6 ft on a 20" , if they made a 19" it would be a lot better for me. An 18" was a shade small and I wanted to use the Reign for some endurance races , so opted for a more roomy cockpit.

I have changed the stem for a 5 degree X 70mm and the bars are 2.5" rise to give me a more upright position whilst shortening the reach to the bars. I still get sore shoulders and neck on long rides , I suspect because like you , it feels like I'm leaning forwards a lot due to having the seat height right for decent leg extension. I have also played with seat positions and angles , got some improvement but I'm still not 100% happy.

Like you , I drop my seat post for the ride down. A gravity dropper post or a Maverick post would be a good , (although expensive and heavy) improvement. It would get a lot of use on my weekly trail ride !

I think if the seat tube was a little steeper , the top tube half an inch shorter and the BB half an inch lower, I'd be happy. ......Maybe !

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hmmm ... sometimes the most obvious solution is overlooked. How about just taking your bike and paying a visit to the LBS to ask their advice? If they know their job, they would be your best source for help and they would also have the inventory to let you try a number of different setups. Even if it's not the shop where the bike was purchased, they stand to sell you the components to make your bike fit right!

Jun 2007
    Thats probably what I should do, im no wiz on bike fitting, but sometime id like to think I am so I usually try tackle this stuff myself at first, and sometime succeed. Im going to be back in the area it was purchased in not too long, ill most likely stop in and see what they think.

Jun 2007
    Yea on my ride yesterday I tilted my saddle back a few degrees as Laurenlex suggested (thanks! it was better) and moved the steat forward on the post 1/2 an inch and things felt better but I still get a bit of the sore palms and if I try to lean back and get behind the saddle my balls are practically resting on it.....a posistion I doubt will serve me well for safety on downhill sections. shorty DH stems go for cheap on ebay, so I think I may try one out as its a pretty low risk investment.

thanks to everyone who replied to far, this has been awfully helpful.

Members who have read this thread: 0