Headset Play please help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Headset Play please help

I have been scratching my head over some slight play in my Son-in-laws XL 2017 Trance 4 headset. There is a clunky feel when you hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth and so far I have:

1. Re-greased the headset but the problem remains

2. Swapped out the bearings and compression ring

3. Tryed a different stem

4. Tried a different wheel

5. Swapped the fork

After all of these attempts the problem remained. The only parts I didnít swap were the pressed in cups and also the top cone spacer (I should have swapped the cone spacer I will try that next). The bike is brand new only been on maybe 12 rides so I canít believe the cups need to be replaced. He went OTB once off a drop and the steerer needed to be re-aligned but it was a minor crash... Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    you haven't swapped the frame yet. Maybe the bearing socket has ovalized due the crash?

If there is a major movement but you cannot locate the source find someone that can. Very hard to determine the cause over the Internet. Or maybe the installation is just wrong, I've seen people tightening the stem screws first before tightening the headset screw (which preloads the bearings)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    you haven't swapped the frame yet. Maybe the bearing socket has ovalized due the crash?
    Thanks for the reply! Actually I did... rebuilt on my frame with his fork and bearings etc. and it was solid as a rock. Iím beginning to think the socket has ovalized like you say - which Iím finding hard to believe as it was such a minor crash.

mtbr member
    Enough spacers being utilized to get proper compresion of the headset? Is the top cap bottoming out?
    "In dog beers......... I only had one"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Can you feel the clunky from the head set? Does the stem and head tube wiggle/clunk when you rock the bike?

I ask because it could be the rear shock mounts that's loose. It gives the sensation of a loose headset when you lock the front brake and rock the bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Can you feel the clunky from the head set? Does the stem and head tube wiggle/clunk when you rock the bike?

I ask because it could be the rear shock mounts that's loose. It gives the sensation of a loose headset when you lock the front brake and rock the bike
    Interesting! Iím 98% sure itís the headset because when I hold on to the stem and rock the bike back and forth I can feel it in my hand... Next time I have his bike at my house I will investigate this. I have a new headset on order so we will see...

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Have you asked your Giant dealer where the bike was purchased for assistance or advice?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yeah he took it there today and they agree there is play in the headset. A new headset has been ordered...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Update!

I was riding with my son in law today and got a chance to look over the bike again. the-one1 you were absolutely right! The rear shock mounts had come loose problem solved! Donít need a new headset... so anyone who has a loose headset feeling check your shock mounts!

Cheers to you the-one1!