Giant Warranty -- Thumbs up!!!!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    63

    Giant Warranty -- Thumbs up!!!!

    I received excellent warranty service from Giant, and wanted to share my experience.

    I've had a 2005 Trance 3 since 2005. Ride about 3-4 times a week. I pretty much upgraded everything in the bike since then, so only a few of the original parts are still on the bike. After all that riding I decided to take the rear triangle apart in order to replace the bearings. Got new bearings from Enduro Fork Seals and got to work using Lynx's excellent bearing replacement how-to as a guide.

    After removing the rear triangle I noticed that most of the bearings were completely toasted. Specially those in the top of the rear triangle. I was able to remove all the bearings with Lynx’s tool (hey now!!) except the small ones from the top (the toasted ones). As soon as I tried to remove the first one, bearing balls and inner ring come out, but the outer ring stayed in!!! The second bearing didn’t even move!!

    I tried everything I could think of in order to remove the outer ring that was still embedded in the triangle. I went to the extreme of going caveman with a Dremel… but nothing. At this point I’m cursing myself for being so “creative” and pretty much have convinced myself that I would have to buy a new triangle.

    Until I called Giant. Talked to the warranty department and their response was: “Take it to any dealer and tell them to call us, that’s all you need to do.”

    I did that and one week after I took the rear triangle to the LBS (I didn’t even buy the bike from them!!!!), I got a call from them telling me to stop by to pick up a brand new rear triangle. Given that my bike was an older model, I thought that I might have had to deal with an off-color replacement. That was not the case, same color, same logos, same everything. A brand new 2005 Giant Trance 3 rear triangle!!! All I had to pay was $10 for shipping the old triangle to Giant.

    Bottom-line is:

    • The Trance is an excellent bike. Best full suspension I have ridden. Highly recommended to everyone.
    • I am glad I bought the bike from Giant. Their support totally exceeded expectations!!!
    • If you have any concerns regarding Giant’s warranty… just forget about them. They were a pleasure to deal with.
    • Big thumbs up to Dunbar’s Cyclery in Wilmington, DE. They took care of my warranty even after I didn’t buy the bike from them. I am thinking about getting a road bike… and Dunbar’s is getting my business just because of how they dealt with a non-customer.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    327
    Awesome story, Trancespotter!

    Aint it great when a huge outfit like Giant, which could have blown you off like a mote of dust, takes the high road like that?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: paneristi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    367
    Wonderful!
    Now who said big company has lame warranty?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tkblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,461
    thats great to hear!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,073
    That's good to hear TS, and glad my tutorial is still getting some use You forgot to mention that you're in Australia though, so might make a bit of difference, although I have pretty much only heard decent stories about GIANT warranty.

    Maybe I can get them to send me a 29er Trance rear when it finally comes out
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    That's good to hear TS, and glad my tutorial is still getting some use You forgot to mention that you're in Australia though, so might make a bit of difference, although I have pretty much only heard decent stories about GIANT warranty.

    Maybe I can get them to send me a 29er Trance rear when it finally comes out

    Australia??? As much as I'd like to be there, I haven't even been close to there before!! I am in Delaware, USA.

    29er Trance... I'm salivating right now...

  7. #7
    I AM I AM
    Reputation: ducktape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,222
    Yeah I'm in Australia and had to look twice, Wilmington, DE definitely didn't sound Aussie to me, we've only got NSW, QLD, ACT, TAS, NT, SA, WA & VlC over here.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,073
    Sorry, my bad thought I remembered you were one of the Aussie clan Good to know GIANT USA is doing all right by it's customers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trancespotter
    Australia??? As much as I'd like to be there, I haven't even been close to there before!! I am in Delaware, USA.

    29er Trance... I'm salivating right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tkblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Sorry, my bad thought I remembered you were one of the Aussie clan Good to know GIANT USA is doing all right by it's customers.
    those big wheels are messing with your brain

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,073

    Hell Yeah.................

    ............but in the most amazing way 29ers rock
    Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer
    those big wheels are messing with your brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  11. #11

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    216
    Right-on! Glad to hear Giant took care of you

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dkr82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    88
    Good to hear Giant were great to deal with. I've got a Trance X1 on order and hope I don't need to call upon their service.

    Out of curiosity, Is it not expected that a LBS should honour any warranty if they're dealer for a particular brand of bike, regardless of where it was purchased??? I expect (and have received) warranty service from the local VW dealer with my Golf GTI even tho I went out of my way to not buy a car from them. I got warranty service on a Toshiba laptop here in Oz many times even tho I bought it in Dubai. I expect the same from a $3k bike.

    I only ask as my LBS started giving me lines suggesting that I'd have trouble with them if I had warranty issues with the bike or any of the components on it if I didn't get it from them. The slim chance they had of getting my business was totally shot after that.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,073
    I don't think you'll have to worry too much, only real warranty stuff people have had to deal with was on the '05 Trances with the caged bearings and that's been resolved since '06.

    Don't mind your local shop, get the bike where ever you want they will have to honor the warranty no matter what. If thewy give you a hard time, you guys over there seem to be able to get a hold of GIANT pretty easy, just give them a call and tell them what's happening and the name of the shop - GIANT will fix em up real quick.

    BTW what are you saving not getting the bike from the local shop? If it's only a hundred or two, then if the shop is a good shop - decent mechanics etc - then it may well be worth buying it through them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirium
    ..............................I only ask as my LBS started giving me lines suggesting that I'd have trouble with them if I had warranty issues with the bike or any of the components on it if I didn't get it from them. The slim chance they had of getting my business was totally shot after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dkr82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I don't think you'll have to worry too much, only real warranty stuff people have had to deal with was on the '05 Trances with the caged bearings and that's been resolved since '06.

    BTW what are you saving not getting the bike from the local shop? If it's only a hundred or two, then if the shop is a good shop - decent mechanics etc - then it may well be worth buying it through them.
    Glad the bearing issue has been fixed. I was just reading your excellent replacement bearing thread...

    I'm saving around 15% ordering it from a Sydney shop. It's 340kms up the road from Canberra but that's no big deal as I do the drive 1-2 times a month for various reasons. The most local of the LBS's here hasn't filled me with confidence when I've watched the 15 year old "mechanics" dropping people's forks etc on the shop floor and been on the receiving end of their poor levels of helpfulness. There's plenty of other places to get it serviced with 7 Giant dealers here in Canberra, none more than 30 mins drive from my home.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,501
    Hmm I wonder if anyone receives good warranty from Giant? I rarely hear people commenting on Giant's CS
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirium
    Out of curiosity, Is it not expected that a LBS should honour any warranty if they're dealer for a particular brand of bike, regardless of where it was purchased??? I expect (and have received) warranty service from the local VW dealer with my Golf GTI even tho I went out of my way to not buy a car from them. I got warranty service on a Toshiba laptop here in Oz many times even tho I bought it in Dubai. I expect the same from a $3k bike.
    Agree 100%. That is something they should do. My comment was more about their general willingness to help. The LBS saw no issues and were actually pleasant to work with. The could have taken the high road and be a pain in the rear because they didn't sell the bike.

  17. #17
    I live to bike
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,318
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Hmm I wonder if anyone receives good warranty from Giant? I rarely hear people commenting on Giant's CS
    Actually, if you search through the Giant forum, you'll hear a lot of good stories and few bad about Giant's warranty. They are usually one of the easiest to deal with.

    As far as the shop handling the warranty, yes, any Giant dealer is capable and required to handle a warranty claim for any Giant customer, even if the customer originally bought the bike from another shop. BUT, unless the warranty occurs within the first 60 days, the shop is not required to handle the warranty for free (even if you bought the bike at that shop). In other words, the parts will be free from Giant, but the shop may (likely) charge you labor to strip the bike to install on the new warranty frame. (This is a brief summation of Giant's US warranty policy, which I understand may differ from their policy in other countries).

    Of course, you will always find a few shops that just hate the hassle of working with warranties, or working on bikes other than their own, etc., etc., but that has nothing to do with Giant's warranty.

  18. #18
    TranceX Rider
    Reputation: Onie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    948
    Awesome! Certainly, nice to hear that GIANT already has taken care of your issue, TS! Back on the saddle again, ei!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.