Giant Reign tire Question- Mtbr.com

Jun 2006

Giant Reign tire Question

Anyone in here know what the max tire clearance the Giant Reign has? Just wondering cause I have a bunch of 2.5 tires around that I use with my Stinky but not as much anymore cause I've found almost the perfect tire combo for around here. So I was wondering if I could use a 2.5 tire safely on the Reign. Just got the bike and love it but I feel it could use a bigger tire so I'm wondering if a 2.5 fits. They come stock with 2.3's but I just bought the frame and the little 2.2's on the bike now fit with room to spare. I just don't want to go through all the work of mounting tires just to find out they don't fit the frame. My Marzocchi All Mountain 1 will fit up to a 2.7 tire according to Marzocchi's website and Manual so I know the front will fit. What about the rear? Anyone who has mounted a 2.5 tire on a Giant Reign let me know how well it worked out. I don't feel like having the Tire rub the chainstay. The noise is annoying as hell! Any info would help out, I have a perfectly good set of WTB Weirwolves just sitting around doing nothing cause I don't use single cap tires on my Stinky, kinda really a worthless idea. Thanks in advance.

I also know the Weirwolves are not a true 2.5, they fall somewhere in between a 2.3 and a 2.5.

I already rode that
    So after 18+hrs so far did you finally try it out yourself?
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb
    So after 18+hrs so far did you finally try it out yourself?
    Prob took longer to type the post than it takes to swap a tyre

I live to bike
    2.5 should fit easily. I've read some have put 2.6s in the rear.

Jun 2006
    One, typed it from work so didn't have the time to go and do it myself.

Two, No I didn't try it since I had to wish my best friend well on Saturday he just got deployed to Iraq and didn't have the time then either.

Three, Sunday is riding day and I will have to do this now and then meet up for my weekend ride with a few friends. Didn't want to waste my time taking off tires just to put the same ones back on.

Normally I just would have ripped them off and tried but my time has been a little scarce these days. Wasting it on a tire swap that could be avoided wouldn't be the best way to manage it.

Motion activated
    A Nokian Gazzalodi 2.6 will fit in (see pic) - not a whole lot of room to spare. I normaly run a Spec Enduro 2.4 on the rear of my Reign and it is a huge 2.4 and I never have any problems with rubbing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    A Nokian Gazzalodi 2.6 will fit in (see pic) - not a whole lot of room to spare. I normaly run a Spec Enduro 2.4 on the rear of my Reign and it is a huge 2.4 and I never have any problems with rubbing.
    Might be just worn paint & lighting, but it looks like a groove is worn on the RH seat stay..?

mtbr member
    Awe, that ain't nothing, I think all of them get that as clearance is a little sparse. Right now I have on a 2.3" WW on my Trance and she has enough clearance, but don't take her in that sticky stuff or she'll clog up.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Might be just worn paint & lighting, but it looks like a groove is worn on the RH seat stay..?
    Hey Steve, don't forget to put back on the rear rotor
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Yeah, it sure does look like that in the photo. I just checked my frame and it looks nothing like that - no visible ware at all.

BTW I just threw on that wheel & tire for reference - it didn't even have a cassette.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Members who have read this thread: 0