giant fathom 1 (2018) vs fathom 2 (2019)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

giant fathom 1 (2018) vs fathom 2 (2019)

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike. I had done some riding on gravel roads and paved roads, and now I wanted to upgrade my bike to a better one, but don't know too much about bike.

I looked the Giant Fathom 2 (2019) which is great for me, but a local bike shop has a special price Giant Fathom 1 (2018), which is nearly $300 (AUD) more than the Fathom 2 .

I can afford both, but not sure whether it worths the extra money. here is a comparison of the specs from Giant website, https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/co.../[email protected]@178

if you could advise me which one is 'better', or more suitable, I'll be much appreciated.

P.S. Im not planning to do seriously mountain biking e.g. fast downhill, jumping etc. for my purpose, probably a hybrid Giant ToughRoad or Foam would do, but somehow Im not into it (possible because I've got a similar bike). and I thought the mountain bike on paved road would be better for exercise as it is 'slow' and uses more energy for similar distance travel

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by harryw View Post
    Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a mountain bike. I had done some riding on gravel roads and paved roads, and now I wanted to upgrade my bike to a better one, but don't know too much about bike.

I looked the Giant Fathom 2 (2019) which is great for me, but a local bike shop has a special price Giant Fathom 1 (2018), which is nearly $300 (AUD) more than the Fathom 2 .

I can afford both, but not sure whether it worths the extra money. here is a comparison of the specs from Giant website, https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/co.../[email protected]@178

if you could advise me which one is 'better', or more suitable, I'll be much appreciated.

P.S. Im not planning to do seriously mountain biking e.g. fast downhill, jumping etc. for my purpose, probably a hybrid Giant ToughRoad or Foam would do, but somehow Im not into it (possible because I've got a similar bike). and I thought the mountain bike on paved road would be better for exercise as it is 'slow' and uses more energy for similar distance travel
    Ud probably be fine saving some money and ride a talon 1 or 2 if your not doing actual mountain biking the fathom may be overkill. But the fathom 1 has better fork brakes and components same frame and bigger items as the fathom 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Give the trails a shot on a demo or loaner bike from a friend. I too thought I would stick to rail trails, fire roads etc. Then I hit some fun single track. Only time I'm on the rail trails etc. is when I'm traveling to the next trail full on switch backs and more technical stuff (no extreme jumps or crazy downhill). Almost bought a Talon until I realized I was going to have more fun than I expected. Then I picked up a 2018 Fathom 1 to keep me satisfied and allow me to advance my skills without having to upgrade components. I don't think you'll say "no thanks" once you hit some good trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by theLark View Post
    Give the trails a shot on a demo or loaner bike from a friend. I too thought I would stick to rail trails, fire roads etc. Then I hit some fun single track. Only time I'm on the rail trails etc. is when I'm traveling to the next trail full on switch backs and more technical stuff (no extreme jumps or crazy downhill). Almost bought a Talon until I realized I was going to have more fun than I expected. Then I picked up a 2018 Fathom 1 to keep me satisfied and allow me to advance my skills without having to upgrade components. I don't think you'll say "no thanks" once you hit some good trails.
    True that if ur considering single track go fathom. I got the talon and have since upgraded my fork and will be adding a dropper post which in the end is pretty much the same bike as the fathom with a bit heavier aluminum. Iíd spend the extra for the nicer frame if it wasnít too late for me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Agree with you that a Talon should be fine for me. I wanted a little fancier bike just to avoid the possibility going further that I had to pay more upgrading the bike, as that would cause a lot time researching while I would prefer spend that time having fun on the bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for sharing your experience, that really helps, I wanted to upgrade my bike is I had so much fun and I wanted a better one to go further.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks for sharing, I know researching the components to upgrade can be a lot of fun too, but Iíve got too much distractions already, and for bike I really want to enjoy riding it than upgrading it. As thatís what happened with my camera lens, I spent heaps time comparing which to buy than go out to take photos, and ended up a bunch of gears that are barely used lol
    Last edited by harryw; 08-23-2018 at 05:30 PM.

mtbr member
    I think you would be happy with either, I have a fathom 2 but have replaced everything on it-forks, wheels, brakes, drive train, tires, and dropper. But it is my favorite bike and my first choice when going for a ride and prefer the fathom over my full suspension.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    If you donít plan going light/hard trails offroad.. go with Fathom 1 2018 for tire width or a Talon because Fathom 2 2019 has wider tires!! me & friend are both coming from 2017 Talon 2 & 3, it does the job for gravel etc.. but when going offroad/trails.. thatís why we upgraded for Fathom 1 & 2 2019 iím happy i choosed my 2019 Fathom 1 over 2018 just for tire width alone for trails.. my friend as the 2019 Fathom 2 on the right
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails giant fathom 1 (2018) vs fathom 2 (2019)-21f2eb5a-7229-4ee4-806e-1b6d564cf1be.jpg  

giant fathom 1 (2018) vs fathom 2 (2019)-52ca35b1-d347-4ecc-9e4c-4439308f47d8.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    they look fabulous! I assume these are 27.5? in Australia, only 29er Fathoms are available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by harryw View Post
    they look fabulous! I assume these are 27.5? in Australia, only 29er Fathoms are available.
    Yes They are 27.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky35 View Post
    If you donít plan going light/hard trails offroad.. go with Fathom 1 2018 for tire width or a Talon because Fathom 2 2019 has wider tires!! me & friend are both coming from 2017 Talon 2 & 3, it does the job for gravel etc.. but when going offroad/trails.. thatís why we upgraded for Fathom 1 & 2 2019 iím happy i choosed my 2019 Fathom 1 over 2018 just for tire width alone for trails.. my friend as the 2019 Fathom 2 on the right
    Nice choice on the color scheme, did the front fender come with the bike or did you add it and if so what brand is it. I could use one.

jcd's best friend
    I should have waited for the 19s. I bought the Fathom 2 29er with the intention of upgrading every single aspect of it. Well, I did! Almost nothing is stock on the bike now. Then the 19s rolled out. I presumed that not a whole lot of changes were coming to the Fathom for 19. Man, they went to town on the Fathom!

Oh well. I'm still having a fun time with mine.
    Trek …monda | Transition Scout | Norco Search C Ultegra

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    Nice choice on the color scheme, did the front fender come with the bike or did you add it and if so what brand is it. I could use one.

Yes it comes with it on 2019 models

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So are the 2019 models of the fathom a decent jump up on the 2018?
    I'm trying to decide between the 2019 1 and 2,but also considering another bike which has rockshox air Judy forks. I'm struggling to compare how good the forks are in comparison?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Wider tires and a fender are the most obvious. Looks like some drivetrain components have changed and as well as the brakes. For those that have a 2019 I'm curious what the spacing between the rear triangles is to allow for the wider tire. If you could be so kind a supply us with a measurement? I have a 2018 and am wondering how wide I can go when it comes time to replace the tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by theLark View Post
    Wider tires and a fender are the most obvious. Looks like some drivetrain components have changed and as well as the brakes. For those that have a 2019 I'm curious what the spacing between the rear triangles is to allow for the wider tire. If you could be so kind a supply us with a measurement? I have a 2018 and am wondering how wide I can go when it comes time to replace the tires.
    They changed the rear to fit wider tires, Fathom 1 comes with 2.6 tires & Fathom 2 is 2.4, iím kinda new into MTB.. maybe check specs the difference 19 vs 18

2018 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/fathom-1

2019 https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fathom-1-2019

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    They changed the rear to fit wider tires, Fathom 1 comes with 2.6 tires & Fathom 2 is 2.4, iím kinda new into MTB.. maybe check specs the difference 19 vs 18
    It's the one spec I wish they'd list, but never have found it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So how does the fork of either the 1 or 2 compare with Rockshox Judy? I'm a complete newbie, and struggling with a comparison between bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by General-Ref View Post
    So are the 2019 models of the fathom a decent jump up on the 2018?
    I'm trying to decide between the 2019 1 and 2,but also considering another bike which has rockshox air Judy forks. I'm struggling to compare how good the forks are in comparison?
    I am also considering the Fathom 1 2019 which has some great specs.
    With the 2020 models coming out, thereís a good sale on the 2019 model at the local shop.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fathom-1
    Before I pull the trigger on the 2019 Fathom 1, are there any red flags on this bike? Any other better alternatives in this price range ($1200-1500) from trek and specialized? Iím an average rider but I mostly care about the quality of the components and the longevity of the bike.
    Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MNTByker View Post
    With the 2020 models coming out, thereís a good sale on the 2019 model at the local shop.
    Before I pull the trigger on the 2019 Fathom 1, are there any red flags on this bike? Any other better alternatives in this price range ($1200-1500) from trek and specialized? Iím an average rider but I mostly care about the quality of the components and the longevity of the bike.
    Thanks for the advice.
    After my earlier post, I ended up buying the 2019 Fathom 1, and think it's excellent. No red flags that I'm aware of. Admittedly I'm a below average rider, and might struggle to get subtle differences, but I've got a friend who I go out with who is really good, he's had a couple of shots on it, and think it's a good bike (for my level).
    think having the extra great on the Fathom 2 has helped me, and the inbuilt dropper (which is on Fathom 1/2, but isn't a given at this price point) has been excellent as well.

So only positive things to say about it after a bit under a year of riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice.
    Are you set on a 27.5, or would you consider a 29er? Are you set on a hardtail, or would you consider a F/S. The 2020 Stance is $1550. The 29er version, the Stance 29 is also $1550.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Are you set on a 27.5, or would you consider a 29er? Are you set on a hardtail, or would you consider a F/S. The 2020 Stance is $1550. The 29er version, the Stance 29 is also $1550.
    I am not set on either. I am 5' 10" and 180 lb and I just felt that the 27.5 fit me a little better (M-17.5). As far as the F/S, my thinking was maybe in a few years I'll gain more skills and go for a higher end dual suspension. My local shop now has the 2019 Fathom 1 on sale for 20% off (comes to about $1200) and I thought it was a good deal. The 2020 Fathom 1 essentially has no major updates, and I even thought that some components were a step back? Here is the comparison:
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/[email protected]@1349

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

after 1 year owning 2019 Fathom 1, i still love this bike!! and i'm 6 feet tall and on the heavy side 285lbs!! and holds very strong, it climbs amazingly etc.. i was gonna get a trance this year but i'll wait next year to gain more experience on hardtail!! not a fan of big jumps still.. but i ride lots of blue,black trails that doesn't have big jump no problems! getting there slowly )

UPGRADES: Race Face chester pedals, Ergon grip, WTB rocket saddle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails giant fathom 1 (2018) vs fathom 2 (2019)-fathom1.jpg  

giant fathom 1 (2018) vs fathom 2 (2019)-fathom2.jpg  

mtbr member

after 1 year owning 2019 Fathom 1, i still love this bike!! and i'm 6 feet tall and on the heavy side 285lbs!! and holds very strong, it climbs amazingly etc.. i was gonna get a trance this year but i'll wait next year to gain more experience on hardtail!! not a fan of big jumps still.. but i ride lots of blue,black trails that doesn't have big jump no problems! getting there slowly )

UPGRADES: Race Face chester pedals, Ergon grip, WTB rocket saddle
    That is a nice looking bike, and MNTbyker, that makes perfect sense, just thought I'd throw that out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I am not set on either. I am 5' 10" and 180 lb and I just felt that the 27.5 fit me a little better (M-17.5). As far as the F/S, my thinking was maybe in a few years I'll gain more skills and go for a higher end dual suspension. My local shop now has the 2019 Fathom 1 on sale for 20% off (comes to about $1200) and I thought it was a good deal. The 2020 Fathom 1 essentially has no major updates, and I even thought that some components were a step back? Here is the comparison:
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/[email protected]@1349
    i would go 2019... with money you save, you can buy good pedals(no inclued with the bike) and upgrade other stuff if needed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, and I apologize for intruding on the OP.
    I went for the Fathom 1 today and will have it picked up tomorrow. Iím having the bike shop cut about an inch off each side of the handlebar because it just felt too long. Any other upgrades that you think might be necessary?