Giant Contact Switch S (2018 dropper) info?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Giant Contact Switch 2018 dropper info

Hello everyone,
    Can someone post some quality photos of the dropper and give some insight in it.
    How's the remote, action, weight, bushing play etc...

I got 2016/17 Switch SL that's pretty good but has some very noticable play which is annoying and it's remote is not that great, although I fixed the issue with Specialized SRL remote.

There's no official info on the dropper anywhere yet and I'm not sure it can be purchased separately.
    Last edited by MarinCRO; 10-08-2017 at 03:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've recently had a 2018 dropper installed on my bike. So far the action is very smooth, big improvement over previous model but it's still early days so hopefully it will stay like that. It came with three options for the remote, I've gone with the under the bar derailleur lever type which feels much easier to use. The lever also hides the end of the cable better.

mtbr member
    Got some answers from Giant Croatia.

Apparently, new Switch model can no longer be turned upside down for both external and internal routing and only comes with internal which is ironic considering the name

However, Switch S model can use both routings.

Also, S comes with 2 remotes - original 2x one (updated old remote) and 1x shifter type remote which unfortunately cannot be mounted to matchmaker.

They claim the lateral play has been fixed (probably better tolerances and bigger bushings) and here are the photos depciting the differnces.

Seems like non-S model is slightly heavier but looks the same except silver collar.

Since I'm already using Specialized SRL remote on it, I'll probably go with regular model if it's all the same except aesthetics and remotes as it's almost half the price.

The price for S model seems to be equal to MY17 SL model.
    7.5kn is approx 1 euro.

Giant Contact Switch S (2018 dropper) info?-gjhkapaighlpmfgc.jpg
    Giant Contact Switch S (2018 dropper) info?-gkcilniiiecdfhkb.jpg
    Last edited by MarinCRO; 09-14-2017 at 05:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Update to the situation:

I dropped by the shop today to check out new Switch Dropper post and it's redesigned on the bottom as well.

Unfortunately, you can no longer run a hack like on the old version with nut and a bolt acting as a second cable stop because there's no room for it to slide into without some dremel modification to the post.

The new acutation mechanism seems much lighter than before and the post weighs 570gr without cable, housing and the remote.

For comparison, my 2017 SL weighs 550 grams - same as Fox Transfer Performance - all of these are 150mm 30.9mm variants.

However, the Contact Switch (not S) model has a slightly more angular remote that's reminiscent of the old one and it's really not very pretty since the cable runs over the brake lever.

I'll wait for the shop to receive Switch S model to see if the actuation part is any different and I'll probably get that instead since the 1x remote is pretty decent.

mtbr member
    Got myself new dropper post - 2018 Giant Contact Switch.

I used previous version (called Contact Switch SL) and it has been very reliable but with annoying issue that it had some play around the bushings so it would rattle if you weren't seated and the post was up.
    Although it worked without problem, it was annoying.

So, I sold it to a friend who needed external routing and for even less money I got new Contact Switch.
    There are 2 models: regular and "S" model. S model has two remotes (2x and 1x) and can be flipped around like the old SL model whereas regular can't.

Since I'm already using Specialized SRL remote with a matchmaker, I have no need for Giant remotes and this post is by far the best value on the market. At just around 130 Euros, it's one third the price of some others like Fox Transfer.
    There are few issues with fitting a 3rd party remote.
    On old post, you could just flip the cable around and attach a nut/bolt cable stop on the other side.
    Here however, that doesn't work since the post no longer accepts regular barrel stop, but it needs a conical end that comes with the cable, so in order to get around that, I routed the cable properly, but used small cable stop from the lightbulb socket that's used to fix the wire onto the bulb socket to fix the cable to the Specialized SRL remote.

Regarding the new post - there's virtually no play whatsoever, it's very smooth up and down and requires very little force to actuate.
    If you have 30.9mm seatpost diameter, there's no reason to get anything else.

I weighted my old post, Fox and this new post and all the weights were within 10-20 grams (all weigh approximately 550-570 grams without remotes and cable).
    Giant Contact Switch S (2018 dropper) info?-20171003_132346.jpgGiant Contact Switch S (2018 dropper) info?-20171003_132350.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Hi, has anyone had the new dropper post for a couple of months, how's the play and wear on the stanchion?

I'm looking at buying the newer dropper to replace my old 2016 model, which has a lot of wear on the back of the stanchion (it's not black anymore) and quite a bit of play (twist left and right about a 1cm), still works fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicknzl View Post
    Hi, has anyone had the new dropper post for a couple of months, how's the play and wear on the stanchion?

I'm looking at buying the newer dropper to replace my old 2016 model, which has a lot of wear on the back of the stanchion (it's not black anymore) and quite a bit of play (twist left and right about a 1cm), still works fine.
    Hi, I've got the regular (non "s") 2018 model and it has been great. Only used it for 3 rides but the play hasn't developed. I also have a 2016 version and the play is much more noticeable on that one than the new one. Hopefully Giant have sorted that issue now.

As MarinCRO has spotted, the new actuation is much lighter which confused me for a while when fitting as I over tightened it the first time I fitted it. Once I'd corrected that it has been fine.

Giant are apparently releasing the 1x lever as an after market option too, but not until middle of January. I will be getting that for both of my Giant Contact Switch posts as the rigid loop on the 2x lever is very very ugly.

mtbr member
    I just bought and installed 2018 contact switch with 2x lever on my girlfriendīs bike. On my other bikes I have bombproof Spesh Command Post IR with no problems ever and classic problemmaker Revereb, so this is the first giant dropper post I saw, but it seems durable. After few rides I can post updates..

monster member
    I think the dropper works great.

I picked up a new Trance that had this post on it. I have about 250 miles on it now with no problems. Sometimes in 20 degree F rides it was a little slower coming up, but I suspect that's common with a lot of posts. Once back to warmer days, it was right back to normal. I've also done quite a few muddy rides without a rear fender and the mud on the post hasn't caused any problems. I never needed to do any maintenance on it... never even added grease yet.

I weigh about 200lbs and wear a camelback, so it's been supporting about 210# during those miles on my full-suspension bike.
    Have fun!