Giant Contact Dropper Post- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Giant Contact Dropper Post

Couldn't REALLY find a thread on this specific thing, and there does not seem to be an official "Giant Dropper Post" thread.

So! IMO, I REALLY dislike the dropper lever. The 2018 dropper post is kind of unique, but still a pretty crappy dropper post lever. I've seen a lot of people buy the "Wolftooth" or the "KS lever", and even the "RF Turbine lever" to replace them!

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/co...tpost-1x-lever

Never knew Giant made their own in house "thumb" lever. Has anyone had any success using this? How does it feel? Easy installation?

Post pictures if you got any!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've got one on my Reign and I really like it. I bought a 125mm post to replace my old 100mm post. It does feel like I need to push the lever a bit further than the older type though but not much. I was surprised how quickly I adjusted to the action. I didn't install it so I can't speak on how easy it is to do but I did convert my old post into a external routed type and that was easy. The set up is the same as previous models. I not sure why the new bikes aren't coming out with this lever, seems a bit strange considering most bikes now have a single chainring so it's not going to get in the way of a shifter.

mtbr member
    There are actually 2 topics on the dropper posts here

Contact S comes with 2 remotes and regular Contact comes with only one - the "crappy" type.

I have 2016/17 model and I'm using Specialized SRL lever which is probably the best around.
    It comes with full aluminium construcion that breathes quality, bearing in the pivot and is MMX compatible.

The only minor downside is that unlike Giant lever, the cable end attaches to the lever and then it's bit more difficult to adjust cable because you have to add cable stop nut to the other side of the cable that goes into the post.
    However, once you do that and apply sufficient cable tension it works beautifully.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    There are actually 2 topics on the dropper posts here

Contact S comes with 2 remotes and regular Contact comes with only one - the "crappy" type.

I have 2016/17 model and I'm using Specialized SRL lever which is probably the best around.
    It comes with full aluminium construcion that breathes quality, bearing in the pivot and is MMX compatible.

The only minor downside is that unlike Giant lever, the cable end attaches to the lever and then it's bit more difficult to adjust cable because you have to add cable stop nut to the other side of the cable that goes into the post.
    However, once you do that and apply sufficient cable tension it works beautifully.
    Haha yeah, there needs to be like an official thread for this kind of stuff too! Haha! Pretty interesting. I read your thread on how the 2018 is ONLY internal, funny because it's named "switch" due to the fact it's about "switching" between the two.

Do you find a different lever changes the speed at which it comes up? Or is that a stupid question.

mtbr member
    Speed depends on how much you pull on the cable but with longer lever you have more leverage and can dose it with more precision.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My 2016 dropper (125mm drop) feels like it's getting some excessive play. I can't feel it when in the saddle climbing etc, however when off the saddle I can hear that it rattles. When it was new I recall there being a little rotational play, no big deal, however it has some fore/aft rocking play as well and I don't remember that always being there.

I'm guessing that this is the bushing. Is this replaceable, and available? I also see that the 125mm drop cartridges are out of stock everywhere. The service-ability of this post is a bit of a bummer, and I may have to go the warranty route to get it sorted (it's just over a year old). If forced to buy another dropper I think I'd go with a different post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a '17 dropper on my anthem and it constantly gets dirt and grime under the seal. Whenever I go for a ride and it's wet, the dropper post slows down and feels like something is grinding as it goes up and down. The seal at the top seems to do a terrible job of keeping dirt and mud out. I have taken it in to the shop a couple of times, and they just tell me it is dirty. The post seems to be way more maintenance intensive than any other post I've had in the past.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I've gone through one Giant dropper in two years, didn't really look after it much. I've ended up buying another one the 2018 model with the x1 lever. On wet or muddy days I use a velcro chain guard around the post (cable tie at the top) and top part of seat tube. Seems to work fine, might lose 10mm of travel but at least no crap getting on the stanchion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My 2016 post is starting to show some stanchion wear on the back, and the play in the post is now a little more than I'd prefer (still cannot tell when actually riding though), however the seal has held up well. I do undo the top collar, clean around the seal and put some fresh grease there every couple of months.

Keep in mind that the seal does SFA on a Giant dropper - it's a sealed cartridge. Stripping the thing down for a clean is real easy, just follow the instructions from Giant on swapping between internal and external routing basically.

To be fair though, I live in a really dry climate and don't ride in the wet. Very fine dust gets EVERYWHERE though and generally makes it past seals that aren't up to scratch.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I'm not feelin' this dropper anymore. After 3 warranty cartridge replacements for post-rise sagging, I'm DONE with this dropper. I have played with the cable tension, upgraded to Wolftooth paddle lever, manually tug the cable slightly out of the frame... and it still requires a double-lever push, to get it to stay UP.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    That's very odd, and doesn't sound like a cartridge problem to me. Did it ever do that with the post removed from the frame?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Dropper post issue

Hi Guys

Im new to the Forum I hope im posting to the right place.

Q: My dropper seat post (GIANT Contact SL) recently took a hard knock to the ground when I crashed. It still works but its rising and dropping very slow and when it is up 'I need to pump it up and down' in short little 2cm spurts to get it to stay there.

When I drop it down again I need to sit on it for about 10-15 seconds longer (with a few bounces) to keep it down. I have removed the sleeve and given it a clean and lube but its still not working properly, Its a year old and I only really ride on weekends.

Do you have any advice?

Kind regards

Ant
    From Bahrain

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Janson View Post
    Hi Guys

Im new to the Forum I hope im posting to the right place.

Q: My dropper seat post (GIANT Contact SL) recently took a hard knock to the ground when I crashed. It still works but its rising and dropping very slow and when it is up 'I need to pump it up and down' in short little 2cm spurts to get it to stay there.

When I drop it down again I need to sit on it for about 10-15 seconds longer (with a few bounces) to keep it down. I have removed the sleeve and given it a clean and lube but its still not working properly, Its a year old and I only really ride on weekends.

Do you have any advice?

Kind regards

Ant
    From Bahrain
    Pull the cable out and readjust,etc. I've had the same problem for the last 1 1/2 yrs. I bet Giant has known this issue since the beginning, I don't think they care cause its a deal breaker and only on complete bikes and rarely bought retail off the bike. These droppers are probably 49.99 cost to them if not cheaper. I don't expect alot from OEM parts,etc. I just look foward to upgrading when they either break or crap out like the droppers.

I'm still hoping someone will come out with the XTR/EAGLE of droppers and end all the frustration. The Fox Transfer almost has it nailed though..

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by skycries57 View Post
    I'm still hoping someone will come out with the XTR/EAGLE of droppers and end all the frustration. The Fox Transfer almost has it nailed though..
    BikeYoke Revive?

Seriously though the Giant dropper isn't bad, or at least mine hasn't been. I got it for a similar price to what the Brand-X droppers are going for in 2016, it has needed one clean-out and is just starting to show some stanchion wear but otherwise still performs well, and it's internal/external routing swappable. No it's not a premium dropper by any means, but I'd have trouble justifying spending money on a replacement so long as it keeps working. I'm one of the few people who bought it retail and put it on a non-Giant bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I picked up a Brand X assend II dropper and its been great however it does have some slop in the seat and I can hear it rattling around when hitting small bumps.

Beside that its been a nice dropper. i paid 130.00 and its 125 mm

not way i was dropping 400 on a dropper lol

mbu
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Giant Dropper Seat.
    In less then two years I have gone through two new dropper seats. Luckly Giant has replaced both. Now they are saying itís the frame. They are willing to replace it but not till June or July.
    It seems like this dropper seat is junk. I canít go without a bike that long. Has anyone else experienced this dropper problem?

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mbu View Post
    Giant Dropper Seat.
    In less then two years I have gone through two new dropper seats. Luckly Giant has replaced both. Now they are saying itís the frame. They are willing to replace it but not till June or July.
    It seems like this dropper seat is junk. I canít go without a bike that long. Has anyone else experienced this dropper problem?
    Went through same exact thing. Seat partially sagged, after topping-out. The only way to reliably stay up... was a double lever pull. Frustrating...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius