Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)- Mtbr.com
    WillWorkForTrail

Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)

It's time for a new one of these. Only a couple months til new model information starts to show up. Who goes first? Do we get a long travel 29er this year? Will Giant abandon their one wheel size to rule them all stance on 27.5? Will the entire lineup go e-bike?

mtbr member
    Like all these years before nothing groundbreaking will take place:

The 2nd Gen 650b Trance frame will go into its third season which means another year waiting for a new Trance

The 2nd Gen 650b Reign frame will go into its second season but who's gonna buy a Giant Reign in 2019 anway when you can get a much better speeced YT Capra for less money.

I don't really see Giant as an attractive brand for enthusiast bikers anymore. Direct sales companies like Canyon and YT are offering better bikes for less money whereas Giant is making most of their revenue with loser bikes like the Stance, Talon or ASX.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I'm digging their glossy black/blue carbon reign frame but I dont want the whole bike! I cant see where frame geometry can get any better, I know they prob said that only 10 years ago. I see giant only changing colors and components again. BORING!

mtbr member
    I find it pretty amusing that there are even people speculating and anticipating Giant's new bikes as if we were talking about an innovative company like Apple.

The only innovation Giant ever came up with I can think of was Overdrive 2 which failed spectacularly and caused a lot of confusion in some people's heads till today

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    I find it pretty amusing that there are even people speculating and anticipating Giant's new bikes as if we were talking about an innovative company like Apple.

The only innovation Giant ever came up with I can think of was Overdrive 2 which failed spectacularly and caused a lot of confusion in some people's heads till today
    Funny you should say that. At this point, Giant is manufacturing enough long travel 29ers for other companies that there shouldn't be anything innovative about them releasing one, other than Giant releasing a long travel 29er.

Even a person who works for Giant who will remain unnamed said to me (and I'm paraphrasing a little, because this was actually a long conversation) that "Giant is actually a very conservative bike company, and doesn't take bold steps very often, like when they went all in on 27.5. They did that and gave it some time, and people talked about it, and now people have had their say, and Giant heard that, and a response is probably on the way."

Prediction: We see a 140mm front and rear 29er, or a 130 rear 150 front 29er.

Full Disclosure: It's no secret I want this bike. I demo long travel 29ers every chance I get. Did I like the Pivot Switchblade? Yes. Am I going to drop $9100 on a mountain bike? Not right now. Orbea Rallon? Ridden it. Great bike. Might I drop 5K on the low end M10? Maybe. I'd be more apt to drop 3K on a Scott Genius though, except I can't get a leg over one, and won't buy without riding.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Giant is manufacturing enough long travel 29ers for other companies......

^^^
    This!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    We will see lower and lower priced carbon bikes.
    I dislike Giant. They don't have a cool factor, they are usually a year or two behind, not cutting edge at all. And as was said, "boring"
    The biggest problem I have with them is anytime I ride one I am blown away with how they ride. The owners are stuffy business people but their team obviously listens to their riders. I sold my boutique brand bike and bought another Giant this year. I seem to do that every few years. I should just stay on them.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    We will see lower and lower priced carbon bikes.
    I dislike Giant. They don't have a cool factor, they are usually a year or two behind, not cutting edge at all. And as was said, "boring"
    The biggest problem I have with them is anytime I ride one I am blown away with how they ride. The owners are stuffy business people but their team obviously listens to their riders. I sold my boutique brand bike and bought another Giant this year. I seem to do that every few years. I should just stay on them.
    This is why I have an Anthem 29er and not a Mach429. It's really close to as good, and cost half as much or less. And I know a guy who broke two Pivot frames and ended up paying for crash replacements both times even though it was questionable whether it was maintenance not being done that caused the problem or an actual defect in the frame. Giant has warrantied both of the frames that I've broken. Of course, a bike shop employee being there when they broke to witness I wasn't doing anything questionable on the bike sort of made it an airtight thing from my side....

mtbr member
    A 140-150 front and 140 rear Reign in 29er would be sweet!
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Giant for sure lacks the "sex appeal" of other brands like Yeti, but after owning a Yeti SB5C and now on a Trance Advanced 1, the Trance is hands down better across the board. Ride a new Giant and I think you'll be surprised at how awesome they are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've been noticing a bit of extra weight creep in some of Giant carbon mtbs over last 3 years or so. The carbon Reigns have got heavier progressively each year since 27.5 inception 2015. 27.5 anthems were 10kg, now closer to 12kg. Not sure about trance. Why? I'd like to think components are getting lghter not heavier so are they strengthening frames to minimise warranty potential and thus increasing weight that way? Weird

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    27.5 anthems were 10kg, now closer to 12kg.
    Huh? Their carbon all mountain/enduro bike was only 22#/10kg in 2015???

Only thing I can find data for is the aluminum bikes at ~30# and the carbon frame weight being ~1/2# lighter than the aluminum one. At best the carbon Reign seems to have only been ~29lbs.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Going enduro route away from xc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    My antem 27.5 with full XTR/Next cranks and carbon wheels is 27lbs. I was pretty dissappointed.

mtbr member
    I've been noticing a bit of extra weight creep in some of Giant carbon mtbs over last 3 years or so. The carbon Reigns have got heavier progressively each year since 27.5 inception 2015. Weird
    it is an industry trend across all manufacturers that carbon frames got heavier in the last years and weight advantage over aluminum has slimmed down considerably to less than 300g

In 2015 all Giant carbon factories were running at their peak output limit causing a shipping bottleneck for their new carbon Reign. It's important to remember that carbon frame production is a complex affair which still requires a lot of skilled manual labor, my theory is that they had to simplify frame layout while equally increasing safety margins to enable them widen production, e.g. carbon frames which can be made on the cheap because a slight derivation from original carbon mat layup by a few mm doesn't immediately lead to catastrophic failure

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    ..hence smaller carbon bike co. In usa have 6 mos eta and bigger co. Have priority, sucks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The 2015 reign 0 was 12.5kg
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post
    Huh? Their carbon all mountain/enduro bike was only 22#/10kg in 2015???

Only thing I can find data for is the aluminum bikes at ~30# and the carbon frame weight being ~1/2# lighter than the aluminum one. At best the carbon Reign seems to have only been ~29lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've been noticing a bit of extra weight creep in some of Giant carbon mtbs over last 3 years or so. The carbon Reigns have got heavier progressively each year since 27.5 inception 2015. Weird
    Just as SC typed above, most companies new designs are heavier than early carbon frames. Why? Not because anyone is going away from XC toward bro-dom. It is becase the new frames are more capable-flex-free-high speed-drop to flat-berm railing fun machines than ever before. Yes we have to adapt to a couple more lbs in our bikes, but they are so much better at everything (even going faster in a straight line). It is so worth it.
    Even the tires are heavier than what I use to buy. Wider, longer around and heavier, but they stick to the ground better so I'm going faster. Worth the extra weight. I still spend some money on light wheelsets because despite what I just wrote, the lighter your wheel/tire combo is, the better your bike handles.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Makes sense, I was really trying to understand why. Thanks to you and SC for posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    Just as SC typed above, most companies new designs are heavier than early carbon frames. Why? Not because anyone is going away from XC toward bro-dom. It is becase the new frames are more capable-flex-free-high speed-drop to flat-berm railing fun machines than ever before. Yes we have to adapt to a couple more lbs in our bikes, but they are so much better at everything (even going faster in a straight line). It is so worth it.
    Even the tires are heavier than what I use to buy. Wider, longer around and heavier, but they stick to the ground better so I'm going faster. Worth the extra weight. I still spend some money on light wheelsets because despite what I just wrote, the lighter your wheel/tire combo is, the better your bike handles.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My 2015 Anthem 27.5 with RS-1 and Guide Ultimate brakes is 10.5kg...

Newer 27.5 Anthems are heavier because the bike is repositioned as a light trail bike and then its still 10.9Kg without pedals in size medium.

Trance is due a refresh and its going to be 130mm 29er <12kg. The 27.5 TRance is going 150mm rear if rumor has merit

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have heard from people within Giant that there will be a Trance 29er coming out. There was some speculation it may be released at Sea Otter, but they weren't sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I predict that the price of their bikes will be going up from last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Trance is due a refresh and its going to be 130mm 29er <12kg. The 27.5 TRance is going 150mm rear if rumor has merit
    nope. Trance frame ist getting refreshed in 2019. The 29er Trance has been in the pipeline for some time now and should eventually come this year

mtbr member
    May 2004
    you're not making any sense

mtbr member
    Rep told us there will be many 27.5 plus models.
    :nono:

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Omg, now I'm excited. My xtc+ is unbelievable. If the anthem comes in a plus... Giddyup!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Anthem won't but Trance will.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    So plus meaning switchable between 27.5 and 29? 2.5 tires is more than enough for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skycries57 View Post
    So plus meaning switchable between 27.5 and 29? 2.5 tires is more than enough for me.
    Good point, if it fits a 27.5 plus, will also fit a 29 x 2.3 in most cases.
    :nono:

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Rep told us there will be many 27.5 plus models.
    I'm hoping for a Fathom 27.5+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theLark View Post
    I'm hoping for a Fathom 27.5+
    Check out the Salsa Timberjack!

mtbr member
    Giant is one of the most calculating, and arguably conservative bike manufacturers. They seem to make very deliberate changes each year. To merely make a 29er Anthem again, and one with a bit more relaxed angles, was a major change for them.

If this is like most years, I'd say you could look at the 2018 bikes, and expect next year will be similar, with carbon seeing the biggest price drop, but nothing major, and components upping to whatever is most modern. In fact, you could almost look at this year's line up, and look at the next bike down's prices, and imagine the new price somewhere between the two, with some newer parts, and not a lot more. Looking at some of their international sites also gives hints, as they don't quite sell identical bikes in every country.

There could be a 29er Trance. That might be nice to see.

This is not meant as a dig on Giant. I own a Giant road bike, and love them as a company. In fact, if I could afford an Anthem Pro 0, I'd buy it. But a company that makes bold changes, they are not.

mtbr member
    to be honest i doubt Giant will do anything of note in the MTB department..... a "new" 29 trance would be good but i think they still feel the burn from the old trance 29'er

mtbr member
    here is a shot of that highly anticipated Trance 29er

As you can see from the picture the designer accidentially confused headtube angle with seatube angle but apart from that it's still a well thought out bike with huuuuge wheels!

Best thing is you can already buy this monstrosity on Craigslist.

mtbr member
    lol at the above post. That bike looks fugly

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    here is a shot of that highly anticipated Trance 29er

As you can see from the picture the designer accidentially confused headtube angle with seatube angle but apart from that it's still a well thought out bike with huuuuge wheels!
    No doubt Giant has learnt a fair bit since the release of this 2013 iteration of the Trance X29er. (Longer, lower, slacker, etc)

If indeed the new longer travel 29er exists as a 2019 model release, we could expect to see teaser images of prototypes start to appear in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

WillWorkForTrail
    One of my friends said 2019 trances are starting to populate giants vendor system. Just 0 level 650 bikes so far though, no 29ers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The trance 29er was one of the ugliest bikes I've ever seen. OK, maybe it rode well, but my God

mtbr member

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Looks like 2019 Reign Advanced 0, with DVO Jade shock and Onyx SC fork?Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-reign-2019.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    looks like the '18 team bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Saw the New anthem advanced. looking forward for the anthem advanced pro 1 29er

Anthem 1 29ER
    Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-36748634_1383278791773043_4986073606040584192_n.jpg
    Anthem Advanced 1 29ER
    Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-36808272_1383360518431537_6948595565475135488_n.jpg
    Giant Anthem 1, 2019
    Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-35698348_1925121404165298_1795098482059509760_n.jpg

The Fastest of Bananas
    Supposedly there is an all new Giant Bike on the way...

I dont know any details, but it came from someone who would know

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Wow, nice photos, luk6761!

I too would like to have a look at the 2019 Anthem Advanced Pro 1 29er, before deciding on it or a 2018.

These bikes really need longer model names. LOL

Does it appear that the top tube has been lowered on the Anthem Advanced 29 for 2019?

Seems like it is lower than on photos of 2018...
    Last edited by NDTransplant; 07-09-2018 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Add to message

mtbr member
    Nov 2001
    doubtful any changes on the anthem 29er frame.

trance 29er is on the way, my guess is 130 front, 115ish rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by big country View Post
    doubtful any changes on the anthem 29er frame.

trance 29er is on the way, my guess is 130 front, 115ish rear.
    My guess is 130/130

In few days is the presentation in Italy, maybe some pics will be filtered

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Trance 29er is being introduced this week at a sales meeting I hear. Hopefully someone will leak a photo. I'm guessing that the specs are hopefully similar to the new GT Sensor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Let's hope the trance is a 140 F 140-130 R
    Need that thing to be a mini Enduro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-37191564_1750248718397490_4605343369638445056_o.jpgGiant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-37261527_1750248735064155_2843076270424588288_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

2019 Trance Advanced 29 1

Spec sheet on the new Adv 1. Looks like its officially a 130/115 set up. No pics atm unfortunately
    Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-screenshot_2018-07-15-my19-giant-sourcebook.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Better view

Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-screenshot_2018-07-15-my19-giant-sourcebook-2-.png

mtbr member
    what - only 115mm of rear travel on the new 29er Trance? Who's is gonna buy this shit. The old Trance X 29er had 127mm!

Giant you're drunk go home!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    what - only 115mm of rear travel on the new 29er Trance? Who's is gonna buy this shit. The old Trance X 29er had 127mm!

Giant you're drunk go home!!
    Have to assume they have a SX version coming out. Or else might as well ignore the 29er this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I had hoped for more of a 140/130 combo but with a modern geometry and the improvements in suspension since the trance x days I wouldnt be surprised if the 115 feels like more than it is. The 27.5 anthem with only 110 travel actually feels incredibly capable but still I had hoped for a little more meat on the new rig

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    It's essentially the 29er version of the Anthem 27.5 in regards to travel. Oddly this is the type of bike I've been looking for. Price vs Spec will be the clincher. It's up against the Fuel EX (130/130) and Spark (120/120). That said for spec vs price I am finding it hard to ignore the new Canyon Lux CF SL 8.0 RACE TEAM. XTR 12 spd drive train and Fox Performance Elite suspension. Modify the fork to 120 and you've got one hell of a bike.
    I am struggling with bike manufacturers who are specing their bikes with GX and Fox Performance suspension and then asking a premium for them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Hopefully the Trance Advanced Pro 29 0 will be specced with Fox Factory and XTR 1x12

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BradOlsen84 View Post
    Have to assume they have a SX version coming out. Or else might as well ignore the 29er this year.
    but the frame will be the same, so still 115

mtbr member
    What a joke. 115mm travel with Minions and Guide T

Spec sheet is all over the place.

Could be a good frameset with 34SC, light wheels and 700-800 gram tires for a very fast and fun trail bike.

Don't discount it just for travel, I had Pivot 429T and it's was very fun and capable with "just". 130/116mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I believe both the 27.5 Anthem and 27.5 Trance will be in their 3rd year of their current design in 2019, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was just a half assed attempt at getting a longer 29er on the market before the whole line gets redesigned for 2020. I bet this is actually an Anthem 29er frame with a 130 fork and longer stroke shock with a different rear end/linkage attachment. Similar to how Santa Cruz made the Hightower LT or Cannondale's Scalpel SE.

In that travel range why not just call it an Anthem 29 SX? It's actually a bike I'd be interested in, but a proper Trance should be at least 130 out back. Very odd.

mtbr member
    Having ridden a Pivot 429 Trail with only 116mm of rear travel it could be enough for a trail bike, especially with the maestro suspension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Some people will scoff at everything giant does. I'd ride the hell out of this bike, and probably will. Short travel rear, over-forked, minions, big brakes...sounds like a pretty badass pisgah race bike. I agree they could have called it an anthem 29 SX, but to my knowledge they've never introduced a new frame for an sx version... I'm curious if they will be spec'ing Pro 0 builds with DVO, not that I can afford it anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    AAAAAND live valve

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by the_riddler View Post
    AAAAAND live valve
    Yes, the 29er advanced 0 looks like it has all the things you need.

mtbr member
    Honestly, I hope the "Trance 29" has a few models that are not very "enduro" and lean more towards standard XC.

I know it's popular on these boards to think you need 130 or 140 mm rear travel on a 29er but I am hoping they offer the frame with a lightweight inline shock (float dps, db inline, etc.)

What I really wanted was an Anthem 29 SX with 100-110 mm rear travel and light 120mm fork. I think that would be a better bike for most people than a 115mm rear travel that specs the rest of the bike to try and keep up with the bigger rigs.

Here's to hoping they have plans to fill both gaps....and soon. I think it's probably doable with the same frame and different variations of triangle, linkage, shock, flip-chips, etc. Maybe they had the foresight to do it that way and we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

civel
    Jul 2018
    Hi everyone,

for 2019 Giant make only 4 models for Reign, 3 aluxx, only one Advanced.
    - Reign 2 AluXX color full black
    - Reign 1.5 AluXX color Orange/Black
    - Reign SX2 AluXX color Red
    - Reign Advanced 1 color Black/Green

mtbr member
    Well that is the italian site, I think it all depends on where people are located. That Reign 1.5 in Orange / Black looks awesome, but I'm pretty sure we won't see that in Canada.
    My MTB adventures! Subscribe & Like!

http://toogyhowsermtb.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Some people will scoff at everything giant does. I'd ride the hell out of this bike, and probably will. Short travel rear, over-forked, minions, big brakes...sounds like a pretty badass pisgah race bike. I agree they could have called it an anthem 29 SX, but to my knowledge they've never introduced a new frame for an sx version... I'm curious if they will be spec'ing Pro 0 builds with DVO, not that I can afford it anyway.
    Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-016bdbfc-1351-4bb5-b202-c4cb8aa5e368.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by civel View Post
    Hi everyone,

for 2019 Giant make only 4 models for Reign, 3 aluxx, only one Advanced.
    - Reign 2 AluXX color full black
    - Reign 1.5 AluXX color Orange/Black
    - Reign SX2 AluXX color Red
    - Reign Advanced 1 color Black/Green
    Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-2d996e99-f9c7-44f4-8a40-a3094b0a1820.jpgGiant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-d2e22ef4-2c17-45ce-ad90-35a3e2fcd758.jpg

Looks like a nice lineup for the Reigns

mtbr member
    Disappointed with spec for the Reigns.. uninspiring paint jobs. Instead of going for the new DVO Onyx SC they have just rehashed the Diamond and called it D1.. assuming they have just got a custom offset but no internal changes. They've also dropped quality DT Swiss alloy wheelset in exchange for their shoddy home brand carbon wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/it/tr...dvanced-0-2019

DVO BRO edition. wish they would make a 130/140 29er version.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well hello there:

Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-aapoywh.jpg

mtbr member
    Is that 4800 euros for Performance level Trance?

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    The spec sheet for the Trance Advanced Pro 0 29er looks sorted (and so it should be for $$$$), but the Advanced Pro 1 has a Fox float performance fork (why not Elite level forks?) and budget SRAM Guide T brakes (cmon Giant, you can do better than that!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    where do you see specs for Trance Advanced Pro 0 29er?

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-ec296d1d-76cd-451f-8b79-fcf33531d9e5.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by samperg View Post
    where do you see specs for Trance Advanced Pro 0 29er?
    Post #69 above

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    That seatpost clamp already makes me angry

mtbr member
    The seat tube angle looks way too slack and would just get worse further you extend the post. I have a feeling tall riders would have their butt over the rear axle on flats not to mention sagged while climbing.

Actual seat tube looks to be about 69 degrees (if head angle is 67).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The Giant wheels are not shoddy. Giant handmakes the rims and the rest(hubs, spokes) is DT Swiss.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Can anyone see if there is any aluminum builds for the Trance 29?
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That seatpost clamp already makes me angry
    haha, looks like an aero-seatpost clamp

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    any geo charts yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epirtle View Post
    The Giant wheels are not shoddy. Giant handmakes the rims and the rest(hubs, spokes) is DT Swiss.
    I don't think the all the "Giant" hubs are DT Swiss anymore

mtbr member
    They aren't an appropriate rim for this level bike though. They used to run quality DT Swiss wheelset like e1700 or xm1501 etc. My giant carbon rim cracked at the spoke hole on front wheel on a road bike after only 2 rides didnt hit anything. The giant carbon rims just aren't up to the task for a bike designed with the intended use of a Reign in mind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by teK-- View Post
    They aren't an appropriate rim for this level bike though. They used to run quality DT Swiss wheelset like e1700 or xm1501 etc. My giant carbon rim cracked at the spoke hole on front wheel on a road bike after only 2 rides didnt hit anything. The giant carbon rims just aren't up to the task for a bike designed with the intended use of a Reign in mind.
    Yes Giant is the only rim ever to crack on a weird one off. Let's write the whole company off as a terrible rim maker.
    Comon man, I'm sure you stomped into the bike shop only to have your rim replaced and walk out wondering why you were so angry..

If they sell carbon rims in the reign 100% they are up to the task. As we all know giant probably makes the rims for over half the major players which you would call "quality"

mtbr member
    Yes Giant is the only rim ever to crack on a weird one off. Let's write the whole company off as a terrible rim maker.
    Comon man, I'm sure you stomped into the bike shop only to have your rim replaced and walk out wondering why you were so angry..

If they sell carbon rims in the reign 100% they are up to the task. As we all know giant probably makes the rims for over half the major players which you would call "quality"
    Who said I was angry? I am only sharing my own experience and that of others who have also cracked giant carbon rims on fairly innocuous circumstances. There is only one reason why a company specs home brand parts and that is cost saving and brand recognition. Anyone who rides rough trails is not going to consciously choose their rims. That is likely why you see so many 2016 and 2017 reigns out there with one giant carbon front wheel and a different rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yes they are. Star ratchet on the 0 level and DT 360 3 pawl on the 1 level.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The new 2019 wheels/rims are all new and hookless. Almost 4mm thicker at the upper profile.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It is funny you call them Giant "house brands". Where do you think the other brands are made? Giant Lite Metals is one of the, if not the largest quality rim manufacturer in the industry. Giant hand-makes their own rims. Who else does that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well, for those disappointed with Giant's 2019 specs, etc., it seems like Giant fans are not alone. For example, if you read some on the Scott forum, there is much speculation, and outright disappointment with many models switching from Fox to RockShox, 'weird' color choices and such.

I'm interested in a new XC bike, and I still think the Anthem Pro line ticks the most boxes for me. Yes, it only has a 32 StepCast fork...but that's lighter than a 34. Yes, it has a not-so-popular 27.2 seatpost, limiting dropper choices. But KS makes a dropper...how many dropper seat post manufacturers does one need??

Yes, the current 2018 model only offers 21mm inner width rims. How wide a tire does one really plan on running on an XC bike? I put 30mm rims on my Salsa ElMariachi and could see right away it was overkill for the type of riding I do. Not saying there isnt' a place or benefits to be gained by wider rims...

And, the Giant has by far the most room for a decent sized framebag, which I find really convenient for those all-day exploratory rides.

Just some general ramblings from a very casual rider.
    2018 Specialized Diverge Expert
    2018 Giant Anthem Pro 29 1

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Same clamp as 2018 Reign Advanced

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-jjjjj.jpg

mtbr member
    The new 2019 wheels/rims are all new and hookless. Almost 4mm thicker at the upper profile.
    Sounds promising then! Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any Geo numbers on the 29er trance??
    Calling it an enduro ripper has me intrigued

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Have not seen it called an "Enduro Ripper" anywhere, where did you see that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2001
    66.5 head tube angle. All i got.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by big country View Post
    66.5 head tube angle. All i got.
    wow, just wow! Hardly believe though since 27.5 Trance with 150mm front sus has 67 degrees. But if this is real then its gonna be one serious ripper! Count me in

mtbr member
    there are many individual reports of broken carbon rims on the new Reign

just because Giant has the technology to produce rims for other brands to their own spec doesn't mean Giants own carbon rims are equally good

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Does anyone know if the Trance 29er will fit 27.5x2.6 tires like the 27.5 model? I notice that the rear triangle of the Trance 29 is carbon unlike the 27.5.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I havent heard for sure, but I would just about guarantee they would fit. Y tho? I imagine the BB will already be pretty low.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm pretty excited for the 29er Trance. A short travel 29er with modern geo and 2.5-2.6 inch tires should be pretty fun. Hopefully there is an alloy version though
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I havent heard for sure, but I would just about guarantee they would fit. Y tho? I imagine the BB will already be pretty low.
    I have a set of 40mm 27.5 carbon hoops that I want to use with my next bike. I prefer 29 wheels in most cases but would like the option to go 27.5+.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    I'm pretty excited for the 29er Trance. A short travel 29er with modern geo and 2.5-2.6 inch tires should be pretty fun. Hopefully there is an alloy version though
    Not that fun.
    Big tires kill this kind of bike.

You're either running low pressure to smooth out the trail and that makes everything slow and sluggish although stable and smooth, or you run higher pressure to get better support and speed but then you ping off obstacles.

Quality and amount of suspension should be the main priority and 2.6" should not be there to try and fix these issues.

mtbr member
    I find it interesting/frustrating that a few of the new 2019 bikes appearing on international sites, even apparently in stores, aren't in North America. I also notice that they released a video with Carl Decker about two months ago talking about the Anthem Advanced Pro 29 (no year listed, but it's a 2019), however, this bike is nowhere to be seen sifting through several countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxS2-SnVqTo

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider51 View Post
    I find it interesting/frustrating that a few of the new 2019 bikes appearing on international sites, even apparently in stores, aren't in North America. I also notice that they released a video with Carl Decker about two months ago talking about the Anthem Advanced Pro 29 (no year listed, but it's a 2019), however, this bike is nowhere to be seen sifting through several countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxS2-SnVqTo
    Thats a 2018 anthem 29 with the DVO suspension that the team ran this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by aja07 View Post
    Have not seen it called an "Enduro Ripper" anywhere, where did you see that?
    Heres the geo chart on the 29 trance

Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-6754324c-01db-4c32-8e46-e9f0697de23e.jpg

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for posting Mountaindrew94.

Those geo numbers for the new Trance 29 look good to me.

Compared to my Anthem x29, all the numbers are a move in the right direction. Im keen to get on one of these new Trances for a test ride.

I just hope Giant keep the spec choice appropriate for the level of each bike. Wouldnt make sense to fit a lower spec parts to the Trance 29er in comparison to the Trance 27.5 bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks for posting Mountaindrew94, the missing info we were all craving

mtbr member
    did some googling and address deduction:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/bikes-anthem-29-2019

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/bi...vanced-29-2019

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/bi...ed-pro-29-2019

pages do not appear to be live yet but the links go to active pages...

...couldn't find anything on the trance

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice find, aaron!
    2018 Specialized Diverge Expert
    2018 Giant Anthem Pro 29 1

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    Not that fun.
    Big tires kill this kind of bike.

You're either running low pressure to smooth out the trail and that makes everything slow and sluggish although stable and smooth, or you run higher pressure to get better support and speed but then you ping off obstacles.

Quality and amount of suspension should be the main priority and 2.6" should not be there to try and fix these issues.
    I've not found the 2.5-2.6's I've ridden on to be that difficult as far as pressures go. There is a sweet spot to finding the right pressure for sure, but its not as bad as 2.8-3.0s which I've experienced what you're describing on.

As for "quality and amount of suspension"...yes, obviously. Maestro gets good reviews and for the trails I ride I don't need a ton of suspension...hence why I think a short travel 29er with modern geo will be fun. The big tires wouldn't be there to "fix" anything...just what I get along with personally
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjock View Post
    Trance SX is back! Shape of things to come next year for the new Trance generation next year?

I hope not. 160mm travel @66 HA was already present on the 2014 SX and a 48cm seattube on the L frame basically kills the frame for me as I want a 200mm dropper post (riding 175mm right now)

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    160mm travel @66 HA was already present on the 2014 SX and a 48cm seattube on the L frame basically kills the frame for me
    The motor kills it for me...

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjock View Post
    The new Trance SX E+ looks like an ideal Big Mountain ride.

It's a good looking Rooster too. Doesn't scream 'e-bike' to look at and manages to avoid the awkward lines of so many e-mtb's.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/it/bi...eplus-pro-2019

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by a a r o n View Post
    did some googling and address deduction:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/bikes-anthem-29-2019

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/bi...vanced-29-2019

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/bi...ed-pro-29-2019

pages do not appear to be live yet but the links go to active pages...

...couldn't find anything on the trance
    My boss is at the Giant show in Queensland and apparently theres an embargo on the Trance 29. They have to sign a stat dec and cant take cameras/phone into the room they have them in. Weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benparker79 View Post
    They have to sign a stat dec and cant take cameras/phone into the room they have them in. Weird.
    No need for your boss to hide a camera in his ass, pictures are already leaked in this thread

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    ^^^

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The boss give you any details if that is the only trance 29er or will they have two with different travel?

civel
    Jul 2018
    Photo from Reign Advanced 1 2019
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-img_3347.jpg  

civel
    Jul 2018
    Reign 1.5 2019

Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-img_3348.jpg

mtbr member
    Really like the look of that Reign 1.5, hope it's available in Canada!

Hill eater
    So the 2019 Reign Advanced 1 is $500 cheaper (Australia) than the 2018 model, does anyone know why?

I would have thought carbon rims would have added to the cost?

Is the price saving because of the forks and shock being DVO this year?

What do people think of this move to DVO compared to Fox last year?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old
    We grow old because we stop playing.

mtbr member
    If they sell carbon rims in the reign 100% they are up to the task.
    just as a follow up - today I checked the rear carbon wheel on a friends Reign Advanced 1 and guess what - his rim was already cracked!

mtbr member
    Price saving is because it's last year's frame design and Giant seems to have 3 year cycle, so next year it should be priced even cheaper. The price is highest for the first year.

Hill eater
    just as a follow up - today I checked the rear carbon wheel on a friends Reign Advanced 1 and guess what - his rim was already cracked!
    Is your friends cracked rim the new 2019 rim with hookless design, thicker walls and 3mm etra reinforcement around the spokes?

I'm looking like buying the Reign Advanced 1 for my son who likes enduro riding and jumps and has dented his current alloy rims a little bit but not often, I think he was running to lower pressure for his riding then. So I'm hoping that he will be OK with these new tougher carbon rims if he checks his pressure.

I think I will get him a Huck Norris insert for the rear also, I assume they work just as well with hookless rims.
    I am glad to see Maxxis Minions on them, great tyres and as they are specced with the rims I have high hopes they work well with hookless and fit the rims well.

Price saving is because it's last year's frame design and Giant seems to have 3 year cycle, so next year it should be priced even cheaper. The price is highest for the first year.
    Thanks for that, it does make sense, I would not have thought the retooling for slightly tweaked frame geometry would cost much in the sceme of things but I suppose buyer expectations come into it also and their willingness to pay more for something new and marketed as better.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old
    We grow old because we stop playing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Is your friends cracked rim the new 2019 rim with hookless design, thicker walls and 3mm etra reinforcement around the spokes?
    it's a 2017 Reign Advanced 1 with a GIANT TRX 1 wheelset

The rider has only about 60kg body weight but does jumping and riding in rock gardens quite often

they probably reinforced the rims by now since there are reports of broken rims all over the place but I found it highly amusing that I found a cracked rim so easily

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    That is not how it works. Exchange rates, competition, and supplier prices are the main factors in pricing. Consumer prices are set by the local market who has no knowledge of the actual real cost of each model.

An example is that the Trance 2 US price went up from 2017 to 2018 with the only more expensive spec part being the brakes going from Deore to SLX. The price of the brakes was less then the increase in MSRP.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by benparker79 View Post
    My boss is at the Giant show in Queensland and apparently theres an embargo on the Trance 29. They have to sign a stat dec and cant take cameras/phone into the room they have them in. Weird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    https://flowmountainbike.com/post-al...ge-highlights/

WillWorkForTrail
    I've learned something interesting about the Trance 29er. It seems that 115mm rear travel is done by a shock with the same stroke length as the 90mm Anthem. Now, the bike is still under embargo, and who knows if the situation may be that the eye to eye length is the same but the stroke is different, but for what it's worth, I've been told, no doubt, that it's the stroke that's the same.

Since I have a 100mm travel Anthem, I'm a little skeptical that the Trance is going to be what I'm looking for at this point. But the same person who fed me the stroke info above told me something else was coming, after Jan 1....

civel
    Jul 2018
    Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-000.jpeg

civel
    Jul 2018
    Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-000-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    2019 bikes are up!

mtbr member
    The Trance 3 looks like a killer deal for someone with a $2k budget.

mtbr member
    Still nothing on the Trance 29'er on the AU or USA sites

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Trance 3 went down by $400 in US but up by $200 in Australia.

What could be the justification for that?

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
    Still nothing on the Trance 29'er on the AU or USA sites
    The Embargo ends on 6 August. So should expect full details after that.

I've learned something interesting about the Trance 29er. It seems that 115mm rear travel is done by a shock with the same stroke length as the 90mm Anthem.......for what it's worth, I've been told, no doubt, that it's the stroke that's the same.

...... the same person who fed me the stroke info above told me something else was coming, after Jan 1....
    That is interesting/surprising. My understanding is that the suspension linkage design determines the travel amount, not just shock stroke. What I'm curious to know is, if you are getting (25mm) more travel from the same shock stroke, will it have any adverse impact on initial sensitivity, mid stroke support or bottom out resistance?

Cotharyus, can you also elaborate on what the 'something else' may be, that is coming after Jan 1. A longer travel 29er maybe?

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by OnAnySunday View Post
    The Embargo ends on 6 August. So should expect full details after that.

That is interesting/surprising. My understanding is that the suspension linkage design determines the travel amount, not just shock stroke. What I'm curious to know is, if you are getting (25mm) more travel from the same shock stroke, will it have any adverse impact on initial sensitivity, mid stroke support or bottom out resistance?

Cotharyus, can you also elaborate on what the 'something else' may be, that is coming after Jan 1. A longer travel 29er maybe?
    So, first off, yes, linkage is how you determine how much travel is possible, and determines your stroke. You get a ratio of travel between the rear axle and the shock. The indication is that this bike should be very plush, but I'm concerned about how it will handle heavier riders and bigger hits, ie, bottom out. This will not be a bike for a coil shock (which doesn't matter to me) based on that ratio.

In the context of the conversation we were having, "Something Else" is, yes, a LONGER travel 29er.

On the whole, although I've been waiting for the Trance 29er for several years now, I can't claim, based on what I know about it, to be very excited about it at this point.

mtbr member
    On the whole, although I've been waiting for the Trance 29er for several years now
    oh really?!

You could've bought a Trance X 29er with more rear travel in 2013!

mtbr member
    Trance 29 should be renamed to Anthem SX 29.

They should have gone Specialized route with Stumpjumper and made trail and enduro Trance with 130/150mm rear travel with chip and different shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamcin View Post
    Trance 3 went down by $400 in US but up by $200 in Australia.

What could be the justification for that?
    the Answer is in the Question............ Australia

WillWorkForTrail
    oh really?!

You could've bought a Trance X 29er with more rear travel in 2013!
    I know, right? Instead I elected to buy an Anthem 29er with 100mm of travel (it's a 2013, but technically I bought it in July 2012). The question is, having broken two Anthem frames and had them warrantied, am I better off having bought the Anthem, or would I have been better off trying to find replacement lower suspension links for the Trance, and how many sets of those do you think I'd have broken?

Ain't playing with hindsight fun?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    To jump into the rim debate, I've broken one wheel in my life -- Giant Carbon Rim on my 17 Trance Ad. Multiple reviewers cracked those rims in testing. They are fragile.

As a former Kona Process 111 (awesome bike, bad pedaler), that 130/115 Trance 29 looks amazing. I think they will sell tons and I think this class of bike, with the right geo, is the perfect bike for 75% of mountain bikers. Just my opinion.

As for Performance forks, I've had problems with two Fit4 forks. That GRIP dampener is supposed to be excellent (though less adjustable) and reliable. I'd buy a bike with that fork.

Plus, in the 36 anyways, a new Grip2 (top-level dampener) can be dropped in aftermarket.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    the Answer is in the Question............ Australia

Everything else is pretty consistent though. Trance 2 is the same price as last year in AUS, but went down by $40 in US. Reign, Trance Advanced, Stance are all consistent.

Just the one bike I was interested in goes up for no apparent reason.....

mtbr member
    I know, right? Instead I elected to buy an Anthem 29er with 100mm of travel (it's a 2013, but technically I bought it in July 2012). The question is, having broken two Anthem frames and had them warrantied, am I better off having bought the Anthem, or would I have been better off trying to find replacement lower suspension links for the Trance, and how many sets of those do you think I'd have broken?

Ain't playing with hindsight fun?
    A heap of lower links one mate broke six or seven another broke two(sold the bike) and one hasn't broken any(he's soft) :O

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamfromCanada View Post

As a former Kona Process 111 (awesome bike, bad pedaler), that 130/115 Trance 29 looks amazing. I think they will sell tons and I think this class of bike, with the right geo, is the perfect bike for 75% of mountain bikers. Just my opinion.
    And I completely agree with you. But it's not the one I'm looking for.

A heap of lower links one mate broke six or seven another broke two(sold the bike) and one hasn't broken any(he's soft) :O
    Yep. That's what I figured. It sounds like a lot of those lowers have let go while people were climbing too. Given what I ride and how I ride it, I reckon I'd do for a set of lowers a year, minimum.

Space Ghost
    Went by my shop today and when they went in their computer, it showed the Trance 29 2 was able to be ordered??? Still no pics and the other models (0 and 1) were listed as unavailable. I guess we are getting closer. As a former Trance X 29er owner, I am really looking forward to this bike with the modern geo upgrades...and carbon stiffness! One of the fastest guys in the state is on an Anthem 29 and says the newer Maestro is the business. I know quite a few are disappointed in the lack of travel, but for me, it is perfect! Florida rider with two to three trips to the mountains a year. My '16 Stumpy is overkill here. Although, it was great in Moab!
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tamcin View Post
    Everything else is pretty consistent though. Trance 2 is the same price as last year in AUS, but went down by $40 in US. Reign, Trance Advanced, Stance are all consistent.

Just the one bike I was interested in goes up for no apparent reason.....
    Is there anything you want the 2019 over the 2018 for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I have a 2014 Trance X 29er (only 1 broken link so far) and I regularly use all the 120/120 travel on this bike. Was hoping the new Trance 29er would have more travel (140/130) so I am not sure the new Trance 29er is the bike for me. Might have to look at Hightower again but the pricing is premium compared to Giant, doh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I think the new geo will make this bike ride like more than 115 sounds. Ive had a 27.5 anthem with 110 and its impressively capable on rough trails and jumps. I think the 29 trance will be an impressive all around bike with the 27.5 option available for more aggressive and gravity riding

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Proper rims on Australian 2019 Trance 2

In reply to tamcin and potatonator:
    A deal breaker for me would be that the 2018 Trance 2 comes stock with the Giant XC1 wheelset whereas the 2019 model has the Giant AM wheelset - no rim specs on the Australian Giant site; but according to the USA Giant site spec. these are 30mm int. width rims (same spec as on the 2019 USA Reign)
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Yeah from what I've seen around the net although we were referring to the Trance 3, that looks like one of the only changes of note that I recall. Other than that the 2018 can be had for pretty decent prices depending where you live. Oh and a different shade of paint

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Potatonator View Post
    Is there anything you want the 2019 over the 2018 for?
    No. I had only just starting riding a very old bike and thought the Trance 3 would be a good upgrade. The local bike shop had a $400 discount off RRP which put it within my budget, but they had sold out of my size. There only seems to be a few in my state left for sale, but I would have preferred to buy from the local guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Check Bike Exchange if you haven't already. I'm still sort of considering the Trance 3 and depending where you are you can get a good price. RRP was something like $3k wasn't it? You could still get it serviced by the local guy and help them out that way

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Potatonator View Post
    Check Bike Exchange if you haven't already. I'm still sort of considering the Trance 3 and depending where you are you can get a good price. RRP was something like $3k wasn't it? You could still get it serviced by the local guy and help them out that way
    Thanks, I have been looking and there are some good prices. I had better make my mind up soon or they'll all be gone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Trance 29 is up on the Global Website

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/trance29

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    http://https://www.giant-bicycles.co...case/trance-29

Per the video on this page, Trance 29 has a 44mm offset fork.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    From looking at the pictures, all the bikes are 1x12 and all are Fox except for the Trance Advanced 29 0, which is DVO.

Lower end models (pending what the pricing is) will be pretty damn good bikes then IMO. The GRIP dampener in the Fox Rhythm blows the MoCo dampener in Rockshox budget forks out of the water (had a Rev and a Rhythm 34 on my hardtail, the Rhythm is a lot better). Curious to see what the USA pricing will be on the alloy models...
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Trance 29 specs are up on the Italian website

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/it/bi...off-road/trail

Update: now posted on US website
    Last edited by GaryBee; 08-06-2018 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The Trance 29 looks great. They should sell a lot of these out east.

mtbr member
    The trance 29 geo is almost old school compared to other new bikes in the category. But the build spec is very enduroesque. Could be an xc riders trail bike or a gravity riders xc bike. Or maybe just an average trail bike compared to other options. For me a great value will be needed to even consider it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMtnSlayer View Post
    The trance 29 geo is almost old school compared to other new bikes in the category...
    I'm not so sure about that. Transition gets heaps of praise for their progressive geometry and the Trance 29 isn't far off of the newest Smuggler. Reach on a medium is only 8mm shorter, head angle within .5 degrees, fork offset 1mm more (43 on the Smuggler, 44 on the Trance) Chain stays are only 5 mm longer. The only number that's dramatically different is the seat tube angle, which Transition uses an "effective" STA, so I'm assuming they use a sagged measurement...who knows what Giant used. Criticize if you want, but the geometry is pretty spot on progressive geo. I know some people want/expected more travel but as a mid-travel 29er it looks very solid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 2m2hs View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Transition gets heaps of praise for their progressive geometry and the Trance 29 isn't far off of the newest Smuggler. Reach on a medium is only 8mm shorter, head angle within .5 degrees, fork offset 1mm more (43 on the Smuggler, 44 on the Trance) Chain stays are only 5 mm longer. The only number that's dramatically different is the seat tube angle, which Transition uses an "effective" STA, so I'm assuming they use a sagged measurement...who knows what Giant used. Criticize if you want, but the geometry is pretty spot on progressive geo. I know some people want/expected more travel but as a mid-travel 29er it looks very solid.

Agreed. Giant is never the first to the corner with industry changing ideology, BUT I do think they develop and test a lot to maximize the efficiency of their designs. 115 sounds like a short amount of travel for a modern trail bike but I bet you this bike rides way more capably than the old trance 29 with less travel and pedals just as efficiently if not better. Id be excited to get my hands on one of these this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Trance 29 is live on US site now

mtbr member
    Pinkbike has a write up on the T29. I'm sure mtbr will have one shortly.

It's really more of an Anthem SX 29er... not what I was hoping for.

Wēk Ss
    The T29 looks nice, a good alternative to the more popular brands.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i didnt even know about the rumors and im still disappointed. 115mm travel? 25mm rims?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post
    i didnt even know about the rumors and im still disappointed. 115mm travel? 25mm rims?

Should ride like a 130 bike with the maestro. Carbon rims get a 30mm internal

WillWorkForTrail
    The first thing I noticed on the US website is that to get away from NX eagle on the trace 29 you have to get the advanced 1. That means a retail tag of $5k. I can get a GX eagle equipped Hightower lt for less money.

Bye, Falecia?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    The first thing I noticed on the US website is that to get away from NX eagle on the trace 29 you have to get the advanced 1. That means a retail tag of $5k. I can get a GX eagle equipped Hightower lt for less money.

Bye, Falecia?
    SC website specs the HT S build in at 4899..... first build with gx

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Bye, Falecia?
    The difference between the 1 and 2 carbon builds is weird. The only real upgrade is shock. The Rhythm and performance fork have the exact same internals, just a slightly heavier chasis on the Rhythm model. NX to GX I suppose is an upgrade but its not much weight saving but if you want the 10 tooth it does make a difference. Going up to a piggyback shock is an upgrade, but will anyone really need a piggyback on a 115mm bike? Just doesn't seem like much upgrade in components for $700 IMO. The 2 for sure seems like the best deal of the bunch.

Any idea what kind of hubs are in the TRX wheels?
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post
    It basically looks like a bike designed to compete with the Evil Following's of the world. Shorter travel trail 29ers. If you compare it to the Following, which was recently redesigned and is one of the highest praised bikes in this category, the geo on the T29 is actually more progressive.

Its for sure not the bike for everyone, but I get what they're trying to do here. Might've made more sense for them to come up with a completely new name for the bike. I imagine they didn't want to call it an Anthem because that has more XC roots and they see this (rightfully so) as a trail bike. But since the 27.5 Trance has 150mm travel it isn't really what one would expect a "Trance" to be either.
    Patrick

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    If you're concerned about US pricing, then Australian pricing for the Trance 29er has me really scratching my head.....

For comparison:
    The 2019 27.5 Trance Adv 1 in the USA is $5,300. Same bike in Australia is $5,999

The new 2019 29er Trance Adv 1 in the USA is $5,000. Same bike in Australia is $6,299 !!

How is it, that the US Trance Adv 29er is $300 cheaper that the US Trance Adv 27.5, yet here in Australia the TA29er manages to retail for $300 more than the equivalent TA27.5 ?? (And how does the Aussie TA29er manage to be $1,299 more than the US price !?)

Something's not adding up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The spec levels are a real head scratcher.

mtbr member
    Scratching my head at the Anthem Advanced Pro 29 line-up. Your options are $5K for the Pro 1, or $11.5K (!!!!) for the Pro 0. That is a $3K increase in step-up from one to the other. For live valve? It's XTR now, but drivetrain price should be a wash - XTR vs. Eagle.

I'm not interested at all this year. There are a lot of other top-shelf options out there in the $6.5K-$8.5K range (Lux, Sniper, Blur, Oiz, Top Fuel, Epic...you name it).

mtbr member
    NX to GX I suppose is an upgrade but its not much weight saving but if you want the 10 tooth it does make a difference.
    It's 280g (over half a pound) difference for the complete drivetrain and most of that is in the cassette. I'd rather have a light 11 speed setup personally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    It's 280g (over half a pound) difference for the complete drivetrain and most of that is in the cassette. I'd rather have a light 11 speed setup personally.
    The Giants both have the same crankset, so its less than the 280, but point taken.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    MBAction is far and away the worst bicycle publication out there. They are literally writing whatever the marketers tell them. You will never ever get an honest review or criticism from reading this bs.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Good video from FLOW. Keen to see their ride impressions of the Trance 29er.

Interesting to see how modern updates and geo have transformed the Trance 29er. New bike is certainly not Fugly anymore.

https://youtu.be/GT8cFrttLqs

WillWorkForTrail
    The difference between the 1 and 2 carbon builds is weird. The only real upgrade is shock. The Rhythm and performance fork have the exact same internals, just a slightly heavier chasis on the Rhythm model. NX to GX I suppose is an upgrade but its not much weight saving but if you want the 10 tooth it does make a difference. Going up to a piggyback shock is an upgrade, but will anyone really need a piggyback on a 115mm bike? Just doesn't seem like much upgrade in components for $700 IMO. The 2 for sure seems like the best deal of the bunch.

Any idea what kind of hubs are in the TRX wheels?
    The hubs are DTs from what Ive been told.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    The hubs are DTs from what Ive been told.
    Right on. If they're 350 or 240 style with the star ratchet that can be upgraded for higher engagement, and the new carbon rims are actually improved, thats a pretty nice wheelset then. If they're the 370 hubs then meh.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Any word on frame or bike weights for the new Trance 29? None of the 'first ride' articles out there seem to mention it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxer View Post
    Any word on frame or bike weights for the new Trance 29? None of the 'first ride' articles out there seem to mention it.
    I did see one that had a "claimed weight" of 26 or 27 pounds, without pedals. I have no idea where they got that. I'll see if I can find the source.

Edit: found it
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...ws/3273/expand
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 08-10-2018 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2m2hs View Post
    Im not trying to criticize just do arm chair analysis for my new bike purchase. IMO the reason the Smuggler is considered modern and bikes like the Following and T29 are less so is the effective STA and wheelbase. My best riding options consist of steep climbs and descents. I want a short travel bike than can help me climb with a super steep STA and descend with a slack HA and long WB.

Below is an easy way to compare bikes. As you can see the Giant STA is significantly slacker than the smuggler. I know you already mentioned it is slacker, but I think it is clear Giant is taking its ETT and effective STA at a lower height that Transition. The seat is pretty clearly at least an inch more rearward at the same overall height. So when comparing the two bikes geo charts the Giants ETT is a bit shorter than listed comparatively.

All I did here was grab the best side shot I could find, line up the rear tires and scale the pics using the leading edge of the rear tire. Then I traced the smugglers effective seat tube and pasted it on the other two bikes. The GT has about the same angel as the smuggler.

Wēk Ss
    It's about 19.7 mm back, on the Giant at that size, at a height determined by stack.

cos(90-74.5) / 613 = 1 / x
    x^2 - 613^2 = 177.6mm

cos(90 - 75.8) / 624 = 1 / y
    y^2 - 624^2 = 157.89mm

At the STA where the seat height is at stack height, there is a difference of 19.7mm, or rather add that to the reach to get the horizontal of the seat post to the center top of the head tube.
    Giant: 639.6mm
    Transition 632.89mm

ETT is the horizontal of the center of the top tube and head tube intersection to the center of the seat post, so, yes, it's a bit lower than the top of the head tube (not the top of the cup).

The numbers are more or less correct for ETT, and a variation of 1 degree at a stack of 600-625 is approximately 20mm in saddle position and can be understood to be generally true.

I wouldn't call the Giant old school unless you get a STA of 72 or 73 with a reach of about 420, and the expectation that you run a 90-120mm stem. The Giant is normal for bikes of 2018 / 2019, while the Transition is still progressive. Just because geometry is not the same as the Transition doesn't make it old school. It's a moderate ground that manufacturers have chosen. There are only a few as progressive as the Transition. I think only Mondraker, Kona, Nikolai, and Guerilla Gravity, and probably a few other small ones that I don't know of.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post

I wouldn't call the Giant old school unless you get a STA of 72 or 73 with a reach of about 420, and the expectation that you run a 90-120mm stem. The Giant is normal for bikes of 2018 / 2019, while the Transition is still progressive. Just because geometry is not the same as the Transition doesn't make it old school. It's a moderate ground that manufacturers have chosen. There are only a few as progressive as the Transition. I think only Mondraker, Kona, Nikolai, and Guerilla Gravity, and probably a few other small ones that I don't know of.
    This was pretty much my point...it's not Transition progressive, but no one would expect it to be. But it is pretty much right in line with current mid-travel geometry, which for Giant is impressive considering how they tend to lag behind on a lot of this stuff. If you need/want the Transition-type geometry, then I agree that this probably isn't the right bike for you as PurpleMtnSlayer alluded to...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks MSU Alum (re bike weight), missed that! So about on par with Ripley LS, Tallboy etc, which is what I'm hoping for (e.g. a slightly slacker and longer version of those 2).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    anyone know the bb height on the trance 29? giants website doesnt list it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxer View Post
    Thanks MSU Alum (re bike weight), missed that! So about on par with Ripley LS, Tallboy etc, which is what I'm hoping for (e.g. a slightly slacker and longer version of those 2).

Yeah, I don't own a Giant, and I don't own a 29er but I'm thinking this may be the ONE for me. I've been a fan of the suspension. I tried the Ripley LS and would have loved it if my focus was 40/60 climbing/descending (or if I lived in an area with more rolling terrain Vs 3000 feet of climbing followed by 3000 feet of descending) but my focus is more 70/30.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    After spending a lot of time on the Ripley LS, Hightower, SB4.5, Revolver with RS-1 120, and Tallboy (last version), I decided to demo the 2019 Giant Trance Advanced 29er... three times! This bike does in fact descend way more than its travel... more like a 130mm or more. In my opinion, it descends better than the above mentioned bikes. It is very stable and so plush. It soaks everything up! Climbing, the bike climbs well and that is from someone that hates inefficient squishy climbers. This bike is SO versatile! You can rip on it everyday and everywhere. I liked it so much that I ordered the "0" build with DVO suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by play time View Post
    After spending a lot of time on the Ripley LS, Hightower, SB4.5, Revolver with RS-1 120, and Tallboy (last version), I decided to demo the 2019 Giant Trance Advanced 29er... three times! This bike does in fact descend way more than its travel... more like a 130mm or more. In my opinion, it descends better than the above mentioned bikes. It is very stable and so plush. It soaks everything up! Climbing, the bike climbs well and that is from someone that hates inefficient squishy climbers. This bike is SO versatile! You can rip on it everyday and everywhere. I liked it so much that I ordered the "0" build with DVO suspension.
    thats a glowing review. interesting.

mtbr member
    Just saw this posted on my instagram, but can't find any details on Giant's Website yet.

Giant Bikes 2019 (Rumors, Predictions, Discussion)-img_4815.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    that is pretty sick. a little late to the party, but very nice.