Which Giant Bike to get?- Mtbr.com

Jul 2007

Which Giant Bike to get?

I am trying to take the next step from my Hardtail and want to buy a FS bike for the local XC trails in my town in Frankfort, KY. I test rode the Specialized FSR XC Comp and liked it a lot. The LBS in my town that deals with specialized is not responsive and interested much in helping me with a purchase of a FS bike, even though I had already bought a 24" Hotrock for my kid in the store. The Giant bike dealer seems to be genuinely interested in picking up new customers. I want to know which bike in the Giant line up is comparable to the Spec FSR XC comp and the Stumpjumper XC comp?

The Giant website does not say clearly which bikes are for XC type riding. Is it the Trance model? I am 5' 9'' / 160lbs and have a inseam of 31" will a 17" be right for me?

Jul 2006
    Trance or NRS. I have a Trance1 and love it. But I think if you want a lighter bike the NRS is better. Someone else will need to comment on that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Trance for trail riding
    Anthem for racing

I have Anthem built to be a bit more trail friendly (riser, shorter stem)

mtbr member

Trance

I currently ride a Stumpjumper FSR and have owned a Trance and the NRS. I would totally recommend the Trance for your use. The 18'" Trance should fit you very well.

The Anthem is more of a race bike although would be fine. I just believe the Trance is better given what you are looking for.

I AM I AM
    About a year ago I was looking at buying my first FS. I test rode a Specialized FSR XC Comp and ended up buying a Trance 3 (Aussie version). Very happy with it do date.

The Trance X is probably comparable to the Stumpjumper (5" travel).
    Anthem is more geared towards racing and comes with slightly less travel than the Trance.

If you want 6' of suspension then look into the Reign, but it would probably be overkill.

Some other bikes on my shortlist at the time were Norco Fluid, Kona Dawg, Ironhorse MkIII.

I would certainly say go with the store that offers the better service. In all reality you would probably be as happy with a Trance or FSR XC or Norco Fluid or anything else in the same sort of category & price range.

Members who have read this thread: 0