Giant ATX 27.5 upgrade questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Giant ATX 27.5 upgrade questions

Hi all. I recently bought an ATX 27.5. I bought it as a budget bike that I could ride on pavement with my kids and could take on some light to moderate trails. Not looking to get much airtime with this outside of 2 feet or so, so I didn't think going much more budget wise was worth it. Bike rides good. I am wanting to upgrade the fork and possible get a dropper seat post. My buddy has one and it so nice being able to change position on the fly. Being able to transition weight rearward with out the seat in the way is nice. What fork and dropper seat would work with this bike. Bike has internal cable routing?

I am not going to be good enough anytime soon to do much with it so I just wanted to make a couple upgrades to get it where I want it and the ride the piss out of it.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Can you link to your model? All the ones I see have a suspension forks already. I wouldn’t upgrade the fork unless you are looking for something specific or something is wrong with the current one.
    All you need to know for the dropper is the seat tube size and how much travel you want. SDG has a new dropper that looks great. Your bike has internal routing for a dropper?
    A better upgrade for more off road riding is the brakes. Those are usually a weak point of lower end bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post
    Can you link to your model? All the ones I see have a suspension forks already. I wouldn’t upgrade the fork unless you are looking for something specific or something is wrong with the current one.
    All you need to know for the dropper is the seat tube size and how much travel you want. SDG has a new dropper that looks great. Your bike has internal routing for a dropper?
    A better upgrade for more off road riding is the brakes. Those are usually a weak point of lower end bikes.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/atx-2

The bike has internal frame routing. The brake cables and gear shift goes through. Any direction you would like to point me would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Get another bike and sell that one, not worth it to upgrade.
    :nono:

mtbr member
    Here are links to the dropper and a brakesets. There are often a few takeoff sets available on the Facebook Marketplace Mountain bike sites. The dropper should be fairly easy to install. Do you feel competent enough to install other items?

SDG Dropper

Brakes

mtbr member
    My wife had one and we did the Suntour upgrade to put a Raidon on it. We put one new and one takeoff tire on it, takeoff bars from my bike, and some $20 pedals. That's the max I'd ever upgrade one of these. In retrospect, it wasn't the right bike for her and where she rides. I would not spend $500+ dollars on a dropper, fork, and other upgrades on this bike. If you want a mtb you can ride the 'piss out of', sell the ATX and get something like the Fathom 2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Here is a link to the bike.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/atx-2

I don't really want to go all out on a mountain bike off the bat. This bike will likely see 60% streets, 30% crushed limestone or gravel paths, and 10% roots, stumps, and small drops (2 feet or less).

I don't mind spending an additional 300 - 400 bucks to get it capable to handle what I will put it through. I am relatively mechanically inclined. I do most of the work on my truck and car so I feel I could do this by reading directions or watching a you tube video.

Will this bike not handle what I want for it or should I just buy something else?

Bikesexual
    OP go to this thread to see a massive upgrade to a Giant.

If you like your bike, nothing wrong with a few upgrades, as you said is not like you are going crazy on it.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t

Check out Battery's last post.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    The problem is you'll have spent close to $900 for a bike that will still have mechanical brakes, narrow steel bars, janky/weak 3x drivetrain, narrow wheels, non-mtb tires, and a frame that's heavier and weaker than $1k options. Honestly, if only 10% of your riding is mountain biking I'd just ride it like it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post

If you like your bike, nothing wrong with a few upgrades, as you said is not like you are going crazy on it.
    A new bottom end air fork, dropper and remote will run $450. That's the entire cost of the bike. The headtube takes a straight steerer, so he probably won't even be able to transfer the fork if he upgrades the frame later on. My guess is that if he actually uses it for mountain biking, it will be cheaper in the long run to sell the ATX and buy something that comes with an air fork and dropper.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    A new bottom end air fork, dropper and remote will run $450. That's the entire cost of the bike. The headtube takes a straight steerer, so he probably won't even be able to transfer the fork if he upgrades the frame later on. My guess is that if he actually uses it for mountain biking, it will be cheaper in the long run to sell the ATX and buy something that comes with an air fork and dropper.
    I agree, I forgot that one of the upgrades was a dropper. If he moves to the Raidon, maybe some wider bars (not very expensive) I think he will have a better riding experience. The other thing is how much is he going to get for that bike?

If he gets $300.00 plus $400.00 that he wants to do on upgrades we're looking at $700.00 HT which may not be THAT much better than his current bike w/a couple of upgrades?

I went through this but I did what you suggested, sold my low end bike and moved up the ladder. Went from a BD bike to a Cannondale that was on sale from the previous year.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post

If he gets $300.00 plus $400.00 that he wants to do on upgrades we're looking at $700.00 HT which may not be THAT much better than his current bike w/a couple of upgrades?
    No but I would not ride the ATX 2 with the bars and tires it comes with. The rest of it is usable for green and some blue trails. However, I just wouldn't do it. Having personally upgraded a 2018 ATX 2, I wouldn't recommend it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    No but I would not ride the ATX 2 with the bars and tires it comes with. The rest of it is usable for green and some blue trails. However, I just wouldn't do it. Having personally upgraded a 2018 ATX 2, I wouldn't recommend it.

So I have been crunching numbers and I will be adding at least 400 to this bike. Not sure it is worth it. I may just sell t and upgrade to a fathom 2. It has all the stuff I want and should be able to tackle green and blue trails no problem (The bike is capable- me.... I need to get there) and I can take on the gravel paths or roads with my kids for evening rides. What do you all think about that? Is the fathom a good bike for what I am looking for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRJY View Post
    So I have been crunching numbers and I will be adding at least 400 to this bike. Not sure it is worth it. I may just sell t and upgrade to a fathom 2. It has all the stuff I want and should be able to tackle green and blue trails no problem (The bike is capable- me.... I need to get there) and I can take on the gravel paths or roads with my kids for evening rides. What do you all think about that? Is the fathom a good bike for what I am looking for?
    Great bike for that, also comes with a set of tubeless wheels. Pretty decent bike for the money.
    :nono:

mtbr member
    +1
    Fathom will be a great bike for what you are looking to do.