Giant Anthem "Science" : 27.5 vs 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Giant Anthem "Science" : 27.5 vs 29er

Purpose of the post: Nothing too serious, just some comparative figures from a very average cyclist on a 27.5" wheel vs 29" wheeled bike.

Background:
    I bought a Giant Anthem 2 at the beginning of spring, rode it through the season and decided I didn't care for it as much as I really wanted to... So last week I bought a Giant Advanced 29 1.

For a number of very personal reasons I made this switch. I don't want to go into a ton of detail because it doesn't really matter. It's (the Anthem 2) a nice bike, just not what I am comfortable on and I was struggling to get "used to" it.

When comparing the bikes (both sized medium, factory builds), the first figures will always be the 27.5 bike vs the second as, obviously the 29er (unless noted). First though, some stats/details of what is being compared.

I rode the same location on the same day (Sunday), 2 weeks apart, with similar TSS for the week leading into each ride. I rode the 27.5" for 4hrs and the 29er for 5. Each ride was done at .69 IF. The TSS accumulation rate differed within 1 point per hour for each ride. My average power differed by 1 watt, my heart rate average differed by 4 bpm (higher on the anthem advanced, probably diet, hydration). Pw:hr decoupling for each ride was less than 2%. The course is relatively flat with little in the way of elevation gain. I provide the aforementioned to show that these, despite the time difference, were two relatively comparable events.

Results:
    The 29er, while feeling a ton faster, was exactly the same speed as the 27.5" wheeled bike. Both days I averaged 10.7 mph. I was shocked to say the least.

I almost always 'felt' "fast" on the 29er and the 27.5 felt like it lumbered along. In short, the 27.5" bike felt lazy.

I felt like I was piloting the 29er.

I am floored that the 29er wasn't at least .5mph faster than the smaller wheeled bike. I feel like I could have made this gain through it's handling properties alone. Trail imperfections were more noticeable with the 27.5" wheels.

I can't believe how different the "experience" of the two bikes are while having surprisingly similar (speed) outcomes.

Outside of these two comparative "events" I will say the Anthem 2 likely climbs almost if not equally well as the Anthem Advanced except when things get really steep or on (speculating) long grinding climbs... and while the Anthem Advanced is no slouch, the Anthem 2 has some excellent properties (and is a lot of fun) descending. In terms of riding twisty single track I much prefer the handling of the AA1.

Disclaimer: Not real science. YMMV. Location: Wisconsin. Twisty Hardpack, some sand, roots, little change in elevation. I imagine with some more significant elevation changes, the results could be quite different...

Hope this was, at the very least, interesting.
    Last edited by inglysh; 07-31-2018 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by inglysh View Post

It was! Thanks for that. I have the 27.5 and at time wonder if I should be on the 29.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by inglysh View Post
    Purpose of the post: Nothing too serious, just some comparative figures from a very average cyclist on a 27.5" wheel vs 29" wheeled bike.
    Disclaimer: Not real science. YMMV. Location: Wisconsin. Hardpack, some sand, roots, little change in elevation. I imagine with some more significant elevation changes, the results could be quite different...

I donít know it seemed pretty scientific and detailed coming from an average cyclist!👍

WillWorkForTrail
    Cool. Thanks for that. It's interesting to see what people come up with when they have some numbers to back things up with instead of just the seat of their pants.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I have the anthem advanced 1 27.5. I'm 5' 7" and the 27.5 feels better to me on technical and dicey terrain. The 29 rolls over a little bit better but I don't feel the "control" in my hands. Like you said "piloting" the 29er. I like both the 27.5 and 29. the 27.5 fits me a tad better. With that said... If someone gave me a 8K 29er I would not be unhappy!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mnflycaster View Post
    I have the anthem advanced 1 27.5. I'm 5' 7" and the 27.5 feels better to me on technical and dicey terrain. The 29 rolls over a little bit better but I don't feel the "control" in my hands. Like you said "piloting" the 29er. I like both the 27.5 and 29. the 27.5 fits me a tad better. With that said... If someone gave me a 8K 29er I would not be unhappy!
    What size AA are you on? Thanks.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    medium... got short arms like a t-rex!