Giant Anthem riders...what do you think?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Giant Anthem riders...what do you think?

I have a friend who bought his wife a new stock 07 giant anthem 0. She rode it maybe once on the street in front of their house, and is not interested in it. It is a stock bike and he will sell it for 2k. I already have a racer x, but would love a backup bike for when mine is being shipped for trips, worked on in shops, or for friends to borrow. What do you all think? Also, I can sell the wheels off the bike to help offset the cost. Does this sound like a decent deal? I have heard great things about this bike.

Thanks!

Quack Attack
    Jump at it. The 0 has a very good component mix and 2k is a steal. I have an Anthem and love it.
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL-R & 2008 Giant Trance X0

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

the only risk is that if you buy the Anthem,

all your other bikes will become "backup bikes." Its that much fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 2007 zero and love it. Like dfioc said, 2k is a steal. If I were you I would buy it either way, you could probably sell it and make money if you don't like it. (doubt that will happen)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There is a pretty good consensus that the Anthem is a great XC bike and you won't be disappointed with it.

However, I don't know if there is great consensus on having both a Racer X and Anthem sitting in the garage for the same purpose. Since the Anthem will be a backup bike, would it not be more financially reasonable to spend a little less money on the backup rather than have two top shelf bikes that do the same thing?

Two grand buys a nice used hard tail that will get you through the times when you need another bike (yes, not as fun, but how ofter did you need a second bike in the last two years?), and will also pay for a road or cyclocross bike that can be used elsewhere.

This isn't a question that we can answer for you.

However, we can say that the Anthem is a really nice bike for XC that does live up to the advertising hype (no bob, no brake jack, efficient, somewhat plush, etc) once the shocks are set up properly.

Hope that helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0