Getting conflicting information - 2016 Talon 3 27.5- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    25

    Getting conflicting information - 2016 Talon 3 27.5

    I tried posting this question in the 29er forum but got no reply. Really would like to know the answer to this as I'm about to buy a used 2016 Talon 3 27.5 but have decided I want a 29 wheel.

    Can you put a 29 wheel on a 2016 Talon 3 27.5?

    I've researched (googled, read the forums here) and most sites say no you cannot in general put a 29 on a 27.5 framed bike. But a couple of threads on mtbr say, almost unanimously, that yes it is no problem.

    I have not read anything specifically about the 2016 Talon 3.

    Does anybody know?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel Calf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by BHD108 View Post
    Can you put a 29 wheel on a 2016 Talon 3 27.5?

    Does anybody know?
    I'm having a hard time answering a question that ***** without offending you but let's try to apply some common sense here. I mean the 29" wheel only got some more diameter, what can possibly go wrong if you put it into a 27.5 frame? (hint: It will fit. Without the tires.)

    Quote Originally Posted by BHD108 View Post
    But a couple of threads on mtbr say, almost unanimously, that yes it is no problem.
    You probably confused 27.5+ with 27.5
    Google for mtb wheelsizes or go into a store and talk with a human being to help clear things up. They even sell bikes there
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 03-27-2018 at 08:57 AM.

  3. #3
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,103
    The answer is no you can not.
    27.5 will fit on a lot of 26 frames though.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    The answer is no you can not.
    27.5 will fit on a lot of 26 frames though.
    Thanks.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    I'm having a hard time answering a question that stupid without offending you but let's try to apply some common sense here.
    So, it is a ***** question to ask if 29 will fit on 27.5 for somebody that does not know much about bikes, (and came to this site for info), but it is perfectly reasonable to assume that a 27.5+ will fit, and a 27.5 will fit on a 26?
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 03-27-2018 at 08:58 AM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel Calf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by BHD108 View Post
    So, it is a stupid question to ask if 29 will fit on 27.5 !
    Yes unfortunately it is, even a 4 year old child should be able to understand that you cannot fit something bigger into something smaller.

    You for some reason want a 29" wheel in a 27.5" bike which is physically impossible because you don't have the frame clearance. Even if for some reason there was a frame where could theoretically work it would still be nonsense since it would raise the bottom bracket by a whopping 19mm! (3/4")

    If you prefer 29" wheels just buy a 29" wheeled bike like the Giant Fathom, it's that simple.

    27.5+ has about the same outer diameter as a 29" that's why 29" wheels fit on a 27.5+ bike.

    The difference between 29 and 27.5 is much bigger than between 26 and 27.5 and even back then 27.5 wheels only fit a minority of 26" bikes with mostly no mud clearance left.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LargeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by BHD108 View Post
    I tried posting this question in the 29er forum but got no reply. Really would like to know the answer to this as I'm about to buy a used 2016 Talon 3 27.5 but have decided I want a 29 wheel.

    Can you put a 29 wheel on a 2016 Talon 3 27.5?

    I've researched (googled, read the forums here) and most sites say no you cannot in general put a 29 on a 27.5 framed bike. But a couple of threads on mtbr say, almost unanimously, that yes it is no problem.

    I have not read anything specifically about the 2016 Talon 3.

    Does anybody know?
    To make it a little easier to understand, 27.5 is not really 27.5 but closer to 26 3/4. Giant invented the term 27.5 to help customers know it was a wheel size in between 26 and 29. The real size is 650b not 27.5.
    :nono:

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    Yes unfortunately it is, even a 4 year old child should be able to understand that you cannot fit something bigger into something smaller.
    Yet, as alexbn921 just stated you can often fit a 27.5 on a 26 bike.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel Calf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by BHD108 View Post
    Yet, as alexbn921 just stated you can often fit a 27.5 on a 26 bike.
    that's just plain wrong. 650b/27.5" did fit into SOME 26" bikes but with nearly no mud clearance left. The number of frames where the conversion actually made sense was miniscule and it still raised the bottom bracket by 1/2". On the Talon 27.5 the question is rather if wider 27.5 tires (2.4") will still fit and not a 38mm bigger 29" wheel

    I think your life would be far easier if you just bought a bike that already comes stock with the wheelsize preferred

  10. #10
    Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Reputation: alexbn921's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,103
    26 and 27.5 are very close to the same size. Stuffing them on a 26 bike worked with compromises in travel, clearance and tires size.
    29er's are a much bigger jump and will not work on any standard 27.5 frame. If your new to riding don't hack your bike. Get the best bike you can afford and have fun until you find out what kind of rider you are, then get a real bike.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    I think your life would be far easier if you just bought a bike that already comes stock with the wheelsize preferred
    I am going to. Now that my simple question was answered there is no question I will be buying a stock 29er.

    I was just trying to point out that, although I've asked some ***** questions in my life, I don't think asking this one was *****. And in any case, when noobies come to this forum looking for advice and asking questions what's the point in being pompous and telling them that their question was so ***** even a 4 year old child would know that.

    Anyway, I'm over it, I appreciate the detailed answers and am now clear about finding a good 29er.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 03-27-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Washing my bike.. conflicting advice..
    By ja001son in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 09-26-2016, 09:14 AM
  2. Fox red or green conflicting information on Fox web site
    By ernie00 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2016, 10:52 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 08:23 AM
  4. Getting some conflicting advice! Need more..
    By ianbrace06 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 09:57 PM
  5. Park tool has conflicting tension values.
    By One Pivot in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 02:58 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.