Front suspension upgrade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Front suspension upgrade

I have a Giant Roam 2 from 2016 or 17. I was wondering if I would be able to upgrade my suspension to something better?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    There seem to be a couple of possible choices here. The Suntour upgrade program https://www.srsuntour.com/pages/upgrade and the Manitou Markhor, which is a new fork that seems to cater to fitting entry-level hardtails with straight steerer tubes.

That said, according to the Giant site, your current fork has 63mm of travel. 100mm is typically the shortest travel on MTB forks, and it is for the Markhor. Maybe talk to Suntour since they made your factory shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks twicehorn. So will I need to replace the suspension with the same amount of travel as the original?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by David616 View Post
    Thanks twicehorn. So will I need to replace the suspension with the same amount of travel as the original?
    That would probably be ideal. First off you want a similar crown-to-axle measurement (more or less the "uncompressed length") so as not to throw off your bike's geometry. Even if that is good, the longer stroke of a higher travel fork could do some weird stuff to the geometry while steering/riding under duress. That 37mm is a pretty big difference, so I will let someone with more knowledge chime in on what that might do.

The other thing to consider in fitting a new fork is the offset, which is the perpendicular distance between the steering axis (center of the steering tube/head tube) to the center of the front wheel axle. That is another fundamental geometry point that you don't want to mess with too much.

mtbr member
    The Giant Roam is a cheap entry level cross bike that just doesn't justify any upgrades IMO. Better to sell it and start with sth fresh should you've outgrown it