front forks- Mtbr.com

Thread: front forks

Aug 2007

front forks

eey everyone just bought a 2008 giant yukon! the front forks are rox shox dart 1's and there a little soft for my liking even though i ahev the adjustment cranked to the siffest possible. is the anyhting i can do to stiffen them up? thanks

I AM I AM
    Your LBS should be able to help you get a stiffer spring (different rate) for it, considering it's new maybe it will be a straight exchange.

I just bought a Giant Alias (basically a model above the Yukon) for my husband with a Dart 2. Seems like it will be a pretty good fork for someone 50 - 80kg or so with the standard spring that came in it. Originally I feared it would be too stiff for me (I weigh 60kg).

My advice would be to talk to your LBS, don't think there is much more you can do. Soft is good as long as you have the correct sag? That is mainly what the preload is for, to set the sag.

Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    Your LBS should be able to help you get a stiffer spring (different rate) for it, considering it's new maybe it will be a straight exchange.

I just bought a Giant Alias (basically a model above the Yukon) for my husband with a Dart 2. Seems like it will be a pretty good fork for someone 50 - 80kg or so with the standard spring that came in it. Originally I feared it would be too stiff for me (I weigh 60kg).

My advice would be to talk to your LBS, don't think there is much more you can do. Soft is good as long as you have the correct sag? That is mainly what the preload is for, to set the sag.
    Sure you didn't buy it for yourself? Soft is good depending on the type of riding you do. If you are a jumper well....freerider well....

I AM I AM
    Quote Originally Posted by calfreerider
    Sure you didn't buy it for yourself? Soft is good depending on the type of riding you do. If you are a jumper well....freerider well....
    Well sort of, in our household it's the reverse of most ,I'm the keen mountain biker & my husband is not into riding much- he likes his 4wd's. However he needed a bike for when we all go riding as a family (young kids) and he told me that he wanted to get into riding more and wanted to get a decent bike. In the end I got the Alias because it's a great bike and worst case scenario if he isn't going to use it as much as he should, then I would be happy to have it as a second bike (which he uses now and then) or otherwise if he truly starts riding it will last him for a long time and would benefit from upgrades later on.

Yes I agree that a soft fork isn't good for every type of riding. I did add the "correct sag" comment because if it's truly too soft for him then he probably isn't able to run correct sag.

Having ridden the Alias once on my usual track the Dart 2 certainly is stiff, it's hard to use more than 50% travel. I certainly wouldn't need to use the lockout!

OP did you end up getting your problems sorted or any more ideas?

Members who have read this thread: 0