Friend may buy an NRS 2....comments please.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Friend may buy an NRS 2....comments please.

Friend of mine wants to get into MTB'ing and I have pointed him to 3 bikes, the Giant NRS being one of them (Iron Horse & Cannondale are the other 2). I'm pretty keen on the NRS-2.

This NRS 2 I'm talking about is a 2003 left over (new) and can be had for only $850. This one however is built with V-brakes (not that its a bad idea considering cheap discs suck and are heavy). The biggest downside I see is the front fork (Axel)...but hey, price is right.

Are there any common issues with the NSR models?

Any other comments?

[paste title here]
    Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn
    Friend of mine wants to get into MTB'ing and I have pointed him to 3 bikes, the Giant NRS being one of them (Iron Horse & Cannondale are the other 2). I'm pretty keen on the NRS-2.

This NRS 2 I'm talking about is a 2003 left over (new) and can be had for only $850. This one however is built with V-brakes (not that its a bad idea considering cheap discs suck and are heavy). The biggest downside I see is the front fork (Axel)...but hey, price is right.

Are there any common issues with the NSR models?

Any other comments?
    I have a 2003 NRS 2 and Its a very great bike. With the coponents on it I would say everything is fine. My model came with a skareb fork and that cracked on me but since it has the axel fork your ok. If the NRS comes with the Titec X-wing seatpost, watch out. The bolt on the seatpost broke and I needed to get a replacement. Of course, this was a desgin flaw and Titec sent me an upgraded one quickly. I didnt want the same thing to happen, so I bought a Thomson 30.9 x 410mm seatpost. He might want to upgrade to Avid disc because they are pretty cheap and is very easy to set-up. The avids came on my NRS 2 and I loved them from day one. They are very easy to set up and the stopping power is awesome. Just curious, Where is he getting this model from? b/c it doesnt sound like the US specs.
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    Just curious, Where is he getting this model from? b/c it doesnt sound like the US specs.
    It is a U.S model from an authorized Giant dealer. Monday I will call them and make sure I didn't see things (Axel & V-brakes), because I too am noticing it has different components than what normally comes with them.

Upgrade Addict

Strange

I have the 2003, too and mine was spec'd just like mtnbikerdude87's. My Skareb cracked too. Also, I love the Avid discs. I have started upgrading the crap out of mine, however. Kick A** bike. Love it. Cane Creek Cloud Nine on the way.

MTNBIKERDUDE87, why the 30.9 Thompson? I just ordered the 27.2, am I screwed?

Jan 2004

NRS uses a 27.2 seat post with spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmre
    I have the 2003, too and mine was spec'd just like mtnbikerdude87's. My Skareb cracked too. Also, I love the Avid discs. I have started upgrading the crap out of mine, however. Kick A** bike. Love it. Cane Creek Cloud Nine on the way.

Because of the thinness of the seat tube, Giant requires the spacer. You have to use it.

[paste title here]
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmre
    I ran the 30.9 b/c I didnt like the shim. The 27.2 seatpost is fine but you have to run it with a shim, which makes the diameter to 30.8. The 30.9 seatpost fits like a golve and according to giant: if you run the seatpost w/o the shim there has to be at least 150 mm (6") of insertion. So your fine with the 27.2, it was just my perference to run w/o the shim.
    Keep Pedaling

I love Pisgah
    You can use a 30.8 post. Thomson just tries to make sure you can't run it with too less of post by demanding a non shim post having to be 410mm or longer. With the shim, no matter how high the post is, the bike still has the overlap of the shim.

My 30.8 x (like my blue bike is)ever will because of the increased overlap.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    It does sound like an 04 rather than an 03. The 03's had a Skareb which was crappy (since they broke) and Avid mechanicals which rock! $850 would be a fantastic price for an 03. It should be very good for an 04 since but they should cost less.
    The NRS is a great bike for XC/trail riding. If you keep to XC with moderate drops you should be fine! Aside from the Skareb they're very reliable and fast as well.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred