frame weight trance vs. anthem- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

frame weight trance vs. anthem

does anyone known whats the difference between
    frame weight trance vs. anthem for example the medium size?

mtbr member
    For '08, the Trance frame weighs 194g more than the Anthem. The Trance X frame weighs 200g more than the Anthem, only 6g more than the regular Trance.
    Ride More

Aug 2007
    what about 2006?

mtbr member
    Pretty sizable difference -- the '05-07 Trance is a great frame but one of the heaviest 4" frames around. 7.2 lbs I believe, and the Anthem is, what 5.7 lbs? But it's always going to come down to the $$$ you throw at components. The lowest level complete Anthem probably comes in around 31 lbs while if you spent the bucks you could weenie a Trance down to 25.

mtbr member
    Supposedly, they knocked 250 grams off of the '05-'07 Trance frame for '08. That's .5512 lbs. less metal on yo mama.
    Ride More

I AM I AM
    In bike terms 250g is a lot (almost a whole handlebar) to shave off a bike. But in overall terms I think 250g is bugger all, certainly wouldn't be rushing to buy a new frame just for a 250g saving.

If the Anthem frame is 5.7 and the trance is 7.2lbs then that's roughly a 700g difference and nothing to sneeze at.

Aug 2007

anthem insted of trance

thanks for your answers.
    now i own upgraded trance 3 and i think to replace
    my frame to anthem because of the weight and speed
    does anyone already did it?
    what are the pros and cons?

I AM I AM
    Obviously less travel for starters and probably different geometry (steeper ha, more racy).
    I can't see any real disadvantages if you find that your trance is a good bike but just a bit on the heavy side, I imagine the Anthem would perform the same providing you're not really into jumps / drops and the like. It's just a bit less general trail and more towards xc racing.

A search on this forum will probably reveal that a few riders have taken the anthem and converted it into more of a trail bike, and they are really happy with the outcome.

Just depends on what YOU want out of a bike and what you find suits your style of riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nivnivo
    what are the pros and cons?
    Do you race XC? Go for the Anthem. If not, my suggestion is to stick with the Trance. The Anthem's 72-degree head angle is very steep and too sharp for me in regular trail riding. The Trance is more relaxed. Either one requires a good amount money to get light, so drop $1500 on some crossmax xls, carbon bits and XO/XTR stuff and you've got a 25 lb Trance.

mtbr member
    Make sure the shocks are compatible. Also the Anthem is really made to be ridden (and is more balanced) with an 80mm fork. Personally if I didn't hardcore race XC I would buy a Trance over an Anthem any day. Trance has an amazing ride!

*edit: I guess the Trance frame would come with a shock so that wouldn't really be an issue

Members who have read this thread: 0