fork upgrade suggestions for a 2004 AC?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2007

fork upgrade suggestions for a 2004 AC?

hi guys - first time poster/long time watcher!

i've got a Giant AC 2004 that i built up from new with my own parts last december. here's a pic of her:

basically, the Boxxer Ride is overkill for my local trails here in Oklahoma and i can't always get out of state to ride Arkansas, Colorado or Texas so i was looking for a singlecrown, lighter fork to replace the 7.2lb monster on the front of that rig. it currently tips the scales at 36.7lbs and if i could get it below 35 then i'd even consider entering some of the local trail races and give the lycra-clad weight weenies a run for their money!

any suggestions on a singlecrown fork to replace the Boxxer with? i was thinking of something like a 150mm Marzocchi Z1, AllMountain, Manitou Sherman Flick or RockShox Pike 409 140mm.

i tend to ride the bike in the 5.3" setting all the time and my riding style has adapted to this. the rear shock needs an upgrade soon too, but for now i'm just thinking about swapping out the dual crown for a lighter alternative.

so - what have you 'tried-and-tested' that works for a good 'all-mountain'/'bumpy trail' scenario?

cheers
    Mart

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'd go Pike or Z1.. Pike probably lighter, Z1 a little more burly.

Members who have read this thread: 0