First Time on a FS; NRS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First Time on a FS; NRS

I've been a retro grouch steel hard tail rider forever.
    Yesterday, I did my first extended ride on a friend's NRS.
    Took me a while to set it up to my liking, but when I did, I was blown away by its capabilities.
    It was absolutely amazing at climbing over rocks at really low speeds.
    Flying downhill over rocks I wasn't necessarily faster than on my HT, but I felt more controlled and comfy. Seated climbing was great, specially on technical climbs. And I barely noticed the extra weight.
    Launching over rocks at speed was confidence inspiring.
    The only place I missed the HT was mashing the pedals while standing on climbs. Just too much monkey motion.
    Plus, the immediate response and feedback of the HT just wasn't there in the NRS.
    So, where does this lead me?
    I've always known I'd buy a FS some day.
    And this particular NRS is for sale.
    However, everyone tells me that the new Maestro suspension is a better design.
    Could anybody who's ridden both suspension designs comment on the strengths and weaknesses of both?
    Thanks,
    Lenny
    Last edited by OneEyeMan; 09-13-2007 at 09:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    I've been a retro grouch steel hard tail rider forever.
    Yesterday, I did my first extended ride on a friend's NRS.
    Took me a while to set it up to my liking, but when I did, I was blown away by its capabilities.
    It was absolutely amazing at climbing over rocks at really low speeds.
    Flying downhill over rocks I wasn't necessarily faster than on my HT, but I felt more controlled and comfy. Seated climbing was great, specially on technical climbs. And I barely noticed the extra weight.
    Launching over rocks at speed was confidence inspiring.
    The only place I missed the HT was mashing the pedals while standing on climbs. Just too much monkey motion.
    Plus, the immediate response and feedback of the HT just wasn't there in the NRS.
    So, where does this lead me?
    I've always known I'd buy a FS some day.
    And this particular NRS is FS.
    However, everyone tells me that the new Maestro suspension is a better design.
    Could anybody who's ridden both suspension designs comment on the strengths and weaknesses of both?
    Thanks,
    Lenny
    that NRS may need more air in the rear shock for you, since they are designed to be topped out except for bumps, so you shouldn't have felt much monkey motion out of the saddle.

A Maestro is more active, so if you like to mash it will feel a bit mushy to you.
    Still it would be worth test riding an Anthem and/or Trance, and decide what you like.

Really though, on FS you need to climb mostly in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    give yourself time to get use to the nrs. I bought one a few months ago and hated it at first. I came from a fully rigid hardtail. After I worked with the air pressure on front and back I got it right for me. Now I love the bike and really all I need to do is put a new wheelset on to lighten it up. get one and ride it. trust me, you'll enjoy the bike.

slamma
    May 2005
    i currently ride an NRS and i have riden a trance and a reign and the mestro is better.
    it is stiffer, so hammering out of the peddals wont flex the frame so much and you will get a more solid response. with me, when i lay down loads of torque, the rear tires actualy rubs the left chain stay.
    another big thing about the mestro is that it is always fully active. But with the nrs,,,not so much.
    i was in the same boat you are in, i had a steal head and it was stiff and responsive and reliable. then i got my nrs and thought it felt like a catilac, but now i just need more bike so im gonna upgrade to a giant reign next season.
    so, you could use the NRS as a steping stone for a trance or somting, but i would go with mestro. or check out treks new Fuel ex 8,i test rode one last weekend and it was exelent.

visions come not to polluted eyes.

Members who have read this thread: 0