Duke vs Marathon vs Talas vs Manitou Super Air- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Duke vs Marathon vs Talas vs Manitou Super Air

I have a frankenstein NRS, but I love it anyway. The frame is a 2003 team blue warranty replacement built up on a modified 2001 NRS 3 platform. I have upgraded to the following:

HMX discs, XT Crankset, TT Flite Sadle, 223 Mavics on XT Disc Hubs, Avid SD7 Levers.

I have yet to replace the front fork (it still has the Judy upfront) and I need some advice on the above models. I am even considering and older style Marzocchi Fly as long as it is air sprung. I would like to go to 100mm travel (max.), have a lockout feature, and be under 4lbs. All of these forks fit into that category. Does anyone have any success with fitting any of these models and want to share their experiences ?

Thanks, Daniel

p.s. I'll post a pic of my frankenstein bike soon

I love Pisgah
    Out of these, me personally and regarding pure XC riding...a Marathon SL would be the choice of the forks listed. The Duke is heavy, and the damping springrates aren't the best. I like the 02s better for that matter(much lighter and no dail-a-crap). Never liked Manitou forks. Just personal choice. They seem to go south fast. Fox Talas is a killer fork, but for me and the NRS, the 125mm option is a bit much, and the 80mm is not enough short of climbing and racing. In the meantime, your toot'n the extra heft for all that adjustability.

Good sale/Ebay prices withstanding of course for any of these forks.

aalso, you need to decide whats important to you, and whats not.

Thats my off the hip opinion.

duck

Jan 2004
    Hmm

I would actually go with a manitou black super air...its super plush, feels amost like a full coil fork, and is very light and stiff. And wont break the bank.