Does Giant not include any manuals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Does Giant not include any manuals?

I just took delivery of my Giant Antham2 bike, and was told by my LBS that there are nothing that the bike ships with. I just got the bike and a handshake.

Thinking back to my older bikes, I generally got a nice plastic bag with a set of manuals and other parts like plastic break spacers etc. I am not sure if it's just the LBS lost them and rather than tell me that, they just tried to cover it up saying new bikes don't ship with anything.

I am wondering if anyone has gotten a Giant bike recently and can tell me what yours came with? (Giant Canada doesn't have a phone number you can call. they don't take email for purchases from dealers either).

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Mine just came with the handshake, I asked for a manual at least for the fork (just for maintenance) and got directed to a website

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I believe I did but I never looked in the bag...

not so 1337 mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    the LBS I got my Bike from, handed me a manual and upsold me on some Thicker tubes.... like does Giant have 'thin' tubes set up in bikes as stock? I feel like The LBS went cheap and stuck "thin" tubes in bike and then swindled me on thicker tubes.... I mean yeah thicker tubes are great and I have had no issues, but come on now why would Giant set you up in said "thin" tubes lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill401 View Post
    Does Giant not include any manuals?
    Riders usually have to learn stuff like that themselves.
    Last edited by Mr Pig; 01-30-2018 at 09:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I was listening to one of the singletracks web podcasts and it was talking about bike maintenance. So that got me thinking about the new bike.

I get that the front forks are supplied by a different manufacturer. For that matter so is the rear suspension cylinder. I have no problem with going in my case to FOX and getting the service manual for that.

But this is a full suspension bike and as such has more than one set of moving parts. And things like the maestro suspension linkage would have bearings and other parts that would need to have maintenance. But the Canadian web site only has service manuals for 2013 bikes. They list the Anthem X, but I am not sure if that is the same as my bike? I am pretty sure that something would have changed in the past 5 years. Are all the torque numbers for the bolts the same? Is the disassembly and reassembly the same?

I know that the Canadian bikes are slightly different from the USA, but is it assumed that I would just go to the .com USA sight and get what they have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Wow, mine came with a card board envelope with the fork manual and CD, shop warranty card and extra copy of the receipt, dropper post manual, giant bike manual and the price tag off of the bike. I also got a small bottle of sealant and spare screws and zip ties. I don't recall getting a hand shake though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by YuoGotOwn3d View Post
    the LBS I got my Bike from, handed me a manual and upsold me on some Thicker tubes.... like does Giant have 'thin' tubes set up in bikes as stock? I feel like The LBS went cheap and stuck "thin" tubes in bike and then swindled me on thicker tubes.... I mean yeah thicker tubes are great and I have had no issues, but come on now why would Giant set you up in said "thin" tubes lol.
    YuoGotOwn3d

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got a big pile of paper with the Giant bike I just bought from Conte's in Falls Church VA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill401 View Post
    Thinking back to my older bikes, I generally got a nice plastic bag with a set of manuals and other parts like plastic break spacers etc.
    Not sure about US market but in Germany/Austria/Switzerland all Giant bikes come with a plastic bag that carries all the manuals (bike/fork/brakes...) and some other stuff like reflectors and even frame protection stickers in some cases. Some bikes even come with the thru axle convertible kit included in the box (Trance 2 2017), I know that first hand because I opened some boxes with a dealer here at arrival.

Interestingly there's some inconsistencies whether tubeless tape and valves are included too, sometimes one bike gets it whereas another bike (exact same model) comes without, so either the bike shop snatches it or the factory just forgot to include.

Bottom line, most of the stuff included is indeed worthless, better make sure to obtain a spare derailleur hanger since that's the part that's most handy to have and equally hard to source in case of an emergency

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ehh I wondered the same thing. I've only ever received the original owners documentation from my old Trek dealer back in Wyoming. I purchased new Giant road bikes for me and my wife since we moved here to Utah. There wasn't any extras or documents though, Just a receipt and a handshake.

I was a little bummed because on the Giant Contend SL 1 that I got, I thought it would come with the extra little widgets for lights and stuff that bolt up to the Conduct brake faceplate. It just had the garmin mount attached. I asked and they said there wasn't anything else. Oh well

mtbr member
    2017 Giant Anthem SX. Bought from Crankworks, Nyack, NY.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does Giant not include any manuals?-screenshot_20180201-134904.jpg  

"In dog beers......... I only had one"