Do I Really Need/Want a '18 Trance 2??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Do I Really Need/Want a '18 Trance 2??

First a little background: 62 YO rider on a 15 year vacation from bikes, but I'm back. Middle of the pack rider, no big jumps, no screaming down hills, no lung busting climbs, just a decent old guy rider. Many of us around. And I ride All Mountain stuff and no races.

Anyways, about a month ago I bought a new Trance 2, and I love the bike, like the Shimano stuff, like the brakes, like the suspension. Its a nice bike. More bike than I am a rider.

But its so dang twitchy. My buddy just bought a new Trek Fuel 7 29 and I road it for a bit and it was very stable and straight. I think some of the younger go fast guys call it boring. All the other stuff was not as nice as my T2, but the Fuel was easier to ride. And then I just got back from 4 Days in Bentonville riding and realized more just how twitchy it was. A couple of times on norrow ledges riding I was a little concerned, just hard for me to ride in a straight line.

I did post about this same thing the first week I had the bike and others said I would get used to it, and it has been better, but still seams very twitchy to me.

I'm still running the tires that came on it, could this be part of the problem?? Or is it just the traits of a T2?? Do I need to take my beating on selling it and go for a 29er?? Am I just not a good enuff rider?? What say yall?

I started to post this in the Beginner forum, so if it needs to be moved, Mods an move.

mtbr member
    15 years ago stems were much longer. Maybe go up about 20mm on stem length.
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have a 2017 trance advance 2 and the bike is not twitchy at all. Are you sure you do not have a set-up issue?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dcr1 View Post
    I have a 2017 trance advance 2 and the bike is not twitchy at all. Are you sure you do not have a set-up issue?
    If I do I donít know it. Iím 5í9Ē and the bike is a med. the LBS I bought it from set up the suspension sag for me. What else?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    A friend of mine has the same bike..I did a quick ride on it and kinda see what you mean. Here's my thoughts.. that bike can run up to 2.6 wide tires.. I'd throw a set on and of course go down on psi, but the thing is.. you should get wider rims to support them. You can find a good new set around $500 on eBay or an online shop. Also, try something like a 60mm stem..I believe that's 10mm longer than stock. For me, those bars are a touch wide, but I don't know your size. If you don't wanna do all that, at least start with a wider front tire with a different profile. That Trance is an excellent bike. I wouldn't give up on it..ya just need to tweak it a little to customize it to you. Oh yeah, mess with the fork settings too.. rebound, compression, yada yada .. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd make sure you're running the correct pressure on your suspension and tires first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As someone who recently bought a couple of Trance's (an Adv 2 and a reg 2 for the wife) but is used to XC bikes, I will echo what you feel. It's not the Trance, it's trail bikes in general. They have slack geometries and feel twitchy at slow speeds. The Trance is a bit worse due to a slack seat tube angle.

However, give it some time. You'll get a better feel for it. I'll also echo what others said about suspension setup. The Trance seems finicky. I wasn't happy until I upped the pressure in the rear to just above 25% sag. The suspension should barely feel like it is reacting to pedal input as you go over smooth(ish) dirt.

Hope this helps.
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO