Do I have the wrong rotors?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Do I have the wrong rotors?

Hey everyone...so here's my issue.

I've got an '06 Anthem 3 w/only 160 miles on it (just got it last month), all stock except for the front tire. I think it has the wrong brake rotors. I've been getting some bad noises from the brakes, and recently realized the pads aren't grabbing where they should be; they're too close to the hub, so they're grabbing the spokes on the rotor. I put some washers between the front caliper and mount to space it out, so it's better, but still not right. The rear is really bad, you can see on the rotor where the pad's been grabbing, and it's grabbing about an 8th of an inch down on the spokes! And there's about an eighth of an inch of the other most part of the rotor not getting grabbed. But...it doesn't look like there is any way to adjust the rear caliper alignment. I haven't taken the pads out to look at them yet....I'm afraid of what I'm going to find.....

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on what I should do?

Later tonight I'll measure the rotor and take some pics.

Dec 2005
    wow i have never heard of or seen that problem, i would suggest taking it to the shop where you bought it from, or just taking it in to any shop to look it over.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Sounds like you've got calipers for say a 140mm rotor with a 160mm rotor... which would be bloody wierd, if that even worked. That or the wrong pads for the caliper.

mtbr member
    That would be very wierd, I would get that thing back to the shop and let them take a look.
    Last of The Allaire Bastards

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, here's a pic of the rotor...it's not the best, but it's the best I could do. Look at about 6 o'clock and you can see where the pad is grabbing the rotor spokes and where the outer edge of the rotor isn't getting touched (also easy to see at 12:00). I'll drop by the shop tomorrow and talk to them about it...won't be able to leave the bike though, got a ride planned.

The good news is the pads look okay, they're not chewed up or missing chunks or anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dgaddis1; 08-08-2007 at 07:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

this is very strange...

I had Soles on my old Reign with no alignment problems like this. I have an 06 Anthem with the exact same problem you are describing. It appears that the rear pads are oriented across the rotor instead of along the rotor. This would imply that this rear caliper does not belong on this bike. Also, the location of the pad material on the pad backing plate seems to vary from pad to pad- this could also make a difference. I do not know how many different versions of rear Sole calipers there are- time is better spent by just replacing them. I think the rotor size is ok. I say this because I just removed the Soles from the front and rear of my Anthem and replaced them with an old pair of BB7s- I kept the Hayes rotors (same as I did on my Reign). They work great! Pads are aligned perfectly along the arc of the rotors. Back to that OTB braking feel, if you want it. Time to give Hayes a call...again...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I noticed this problem on my '06 Trance 3 too. I think it may just be a combination of the pads on so1e brakes and the low angle of the seatstays on maestro bikes (although it does happen with the front brake as well, so?). It hasn't been a problem for me as long as the pads were properly alingned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    But how can I align the pads? There's no adjustment.

I had the same problem on the front as well, but was able to use some washers to space the caliper out some, it's better, but not perfect yet. I need thicker spacers and probably longer bolts too. I'm mostly concerned about the rear...not only is it bad for the pads, but I'm losing a lot of braking power due to the lower contact surface area. Turns out I'm not going to be able to ride tonight, so I'm going to take the bike to the shop and see what they can do for me.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

ok, I just talked with Hayes cs...

they said they are aware of the problem and that their engineers say "it is not a problem- it is okay for the pads to run over the arms of the rotor." Also, they said the aftermarket pads for the Soles help to "reduce" this problem. This sounds a bit weak. You can see in my picture above that sometimes the pad material is placed slightly higher on the backing plate than at other times. The quick fix for this (my opinion) is to trim a little bit of pad material away from the lower part of the pad where it is contacting the rotor arms- since we are only talking about the rear, I doubt that it would noticably affect braking power. The grating noise coming from the rear pads hitting the rotor arms IS rather annoying...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dumper
    they said they are aware of the problem and that their engineers say "it is not a problem- it is okay for the pads to run over the arms of the rotor."
    That's garbage. If it wasn't a problem it wouldn't be trying to vibrate my bike to pieces. I'm going to the local bike shop tonight. If they can't do anything for me I'll call Giant. Do any of the higher level Anthems (with higher level brakes) have this problem?

There's a bad design somewhere that's causing this problem. Either a) Giant put the mounts in the wrong place in relation to the wheel axis
    or b)Haye's didn't design the caliper correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

you're right on both counts...

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis1
    That's garbage. b)Haye's didn't design the caliper correctly.
    but Hayes will never admit that. Hayes Soles only come on entry level parts kits- they have the look of hydros, but thats about it. Even without this issue, Soles are barely good enough to be put on cruiser bikes for the bike path. The good news is that the Hayes rotors work very well with many other brake calipers, with no issues. Simply bolt on a new caliper/hose/lever of your choice and ride. I switched to bb7s and they work great. Should we have to replace brakes that come on a new bike? No, but I have had Soles before on another bike, with no alignment issues, and I still decided to replace them. Let us know what your bike shop says...

I AM I AM
    Yeah my Aussie '06 Trance 3 had that problem so after a while I got rid of the soles and got a set of shimano XT brakes. And guess what, perfect alighnment to the rotor (shimano 6 bolt rotor). I would happily say that it's a Hayes issue.
    And they don't seem to be fixing it as I purchased a Giant Alias a few weeks ago, it's got soles and the path overlaps onto the rotor spokes just like before.

However that was never my main concern with the Soles, I ended up changing due to not being able to adjust the pistons far enough to allow for pad wear past about 50% or 60%, at the cost of pads I expect to be able to get close to full use. The Soles on the Alias will be staying for now as it's my Husbands bike and he doesn't ride it much, unless I can get him out on the trail a lot more to justify any upgrades.

I imagine all disc brakes are noisy from time to time. The Soles were at times but certainly not continuously and not anything real annoying. A regular clean with isopropyl and a ride to burn off any residue seemed to do the job for me anyway. However I have heard of issues on certain giant bikes in regards to soles being really noisy, one guy here did everything from new brakes to even a new frame I believe but in the end some "disc brake quiet" placed behind the pads did the job.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

ok, I just trimmed the leading, lower corners off the rear pads...

from the picture above with the red pad outline, I trimmed the lower left corner off the rear outside pad (tab pointing down), and the lower right corner off the inside pad- this appears to be the only part of the pads that contact the rotor arms. The results are: maybe smoother braking, with no loss of braking power, and maybe less "unusual" noise. I am going for a longer ride now, to confirm whether this mod is really necessary...
    Last edited by dumper; 08-10-2007 at 03:10 PM.

squish is good
    That is not cool, if Hayes won't supply you with a fix you need to call Giant and give them a formal complaint. I use Hayes 9's and have had no complaints with the performance on my Reign but if yours have an inherent design issue it should be fixed. I can't guarantee that they will fix it but if you make enough noise they should at least offer you a new set of brakes that will work properly. OEM equipment should work as it is intended and not have major problems like you are describing, that is inexcusable unless they give you a fix for no cost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey guys...haven't had a chance to take the bike to the shop yet, ended up moving furniture all weekend. I'm going to drop by the shop to talk to them about it today during my lunch break. I figure I'll probably have to call Hayes to get the issue fixed...

mtbr member
    I just looked at my wife's Yukon and it has the same issue on both wheels, with the front more pronounced. At least 5mm overlap there. For me at least this doesn't present a problem.

Tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, I called Hayes, got no help. They're sending me longer bolts for the front, and I was told it was more of an annoyance than a problem, which I'm still not buying. So, I'm going to send an e-mail to Giant today. I'll keep everyone updated...

line em up, load em tight
    this is a problem with the soles. NOT the frame. Ive had about three different anthems now....none of the brake setups have had problems. I've always used Avid juicys. Like I saw in an above photo, the sole pads sit in the caliper off center of the rotor, and part of the pad contacts a bit of the rotor spokes.
    346 cubic inch aluminum smallblocks/26 inch wheels and 1:1 Teh tech pwns me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So, I couldn't find a way to get in touch with Giant. I couldn't find an e-mail or phone number on their website, so I went into the local shop to talk to them again, and they told me to bring the bike in. I've got it with me today, so after work I'm going in....hopefully they can do something for me.

bi-winning
    hayes sole = poorly designed, poorly performing brake
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, I have found one way to solve my problem: a new set of brake rotors (rock works I believe?). My LBS has a pair, and they have a larger braking surface than the Hayes rotors, so the pads will no longer hit the rotor arms.

However, I don't think I should have to buy a new set of rotors for my $1600 bike because the stock parts don't fit correctly. I know $1600 isn't a TON of money for a high end mountain bike, but it is a LOT of money, in fact, it's the most expensive thing I own besides my car. I understand I'm not going to get all top of the line, carbon fiber/titanium/unobtinium parts but everything should at least fit!!!

So, I'm going to call Giant and talk to them...hopefully they could give me the Stroker brakes that now come stock on the Anthem 2. I'll even send back the So1es.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

bi-winning
    I can confirm that the problem has nothing to do with the frame. It is all the brake's fault. I built up a Norco Storm today with the sole brakes, and it was rubbing on the arms of the rotor as well.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Members who have read this thread: 0