Creaking Trance---HELP!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Creaking Trance---HELP!!!

I have an 05 Trance 2 and lately it's been creaking like crazy around the rear triangle. Does anyone know what this could be about? I thought it was the cranks, but their new, clean, and greased. I've heard there were some issues with cheap bearings on this model year, and I'm starting to wonder if that's the problem. Anyone else had the same problem? What'd you do? PLEASE HELP!

Johny Sokko!
    Check your seatpost, put a thin layer of grease on it.

If your ride your bike a lot you should have the bearings changed as a maintanance.

The top small bearings right behind the seatpost are the weakest link in this design. Mine fell apart. Put in the Enduro bearings. If you can install the bearings without grease, please do so. I think the grease allows the bearings to flex once in position and can make an obscure creak noise when standing up and powering (yes! I know).

Come on winter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner
    The top small bearings right behind the seatpost are the weakest link in this design. Mine fell apart. Put in the Enduro bearings. If you can install the bearings without grease, please do so. I think the grease allows the bearings to flex once in position and can make an obscure creak noise when standing up and powering (yes! I know).

Ditto on the upper rear triangle bearings. The older stock ones literally fell apart in my hand when the bolt was removed.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mtbr member
    I have a Santa Cruz Superlight that started creaking in the triangle not long after I got it. We checked everything and could not figure it out. Finally, for some reason, I decided to check the shock mounting bolts. I took them out and put a dab of grease on the bottom of the head (contact point with frame) and it cured the problem. It's worth a shot...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Like Stoner said...your upper rear triangle bearings, I just overhauled one on a trance 4 and the bearing located on the seat tube was so stiff I couldn't turn it. It would make a very loud "click" like something was broken when you compressed the suspension. A good idea for preventative maintenance would be to pop off your seals every so often and clean out and repack the bearings with a good waterproof grease.
    ~ferretboy
    I'm not that fast....You're just slow.
    Titus Racer-X 80, Giant Reign 1, Fat Chance Titanium

Giant Anthem

Creaking sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jjholiday
    I have an 05 Trance 2 and lately it's been creaking like crazy around the rear triangle. Does anyone know what this could be about? I thought it was the cranks, but their new, clean, and greased. I've heard there were some issues with cheap bearings on this model year, and I'm starting to wonder if that's the problem. Anyone else had the same problem? What'd you do? PLEASE HELP!
    Yeah, my 06 trance started creaking pretty regularly after 100 Miles. Here's my story.

Took it to the shop, they lubed the main suspension pivots and bottom bracket cups and reinstalled them. No more creak; for 2 weeks.

Continued to enjoy my luscious trance.

Creak came back after riding 2 races (yep the trance is a great racer) and 50 miles of riding

I despised the creaking.

I personaly (no more bike shop) took off rear triangle, suspension pivots, shock mounts, and rear disk brake caliper thingy.

I Cleaned everything very, very well.

I bought a park 600# torque wrench and 3/8 inch drive alen keys

Put the bike bike together, carefully greasing the bearings and applying blue threadlock on all threads while torquing all bolts on the WHOLE bike to proper specs. This included setpost and stem parts. Too much torque is no bueno.

Bike has not creaked since (only one 20 mile ride since)

I have a feeling I may have to do this every once and a while to be "Creak free".

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I own a trance 05 frame with rp3.creaking is my problem too. searching for the reason i realized that the cric-cracs was from the bearings.The bolts was loosen. i've tighten the bolts with a torque wrench. All was ok for about a week, then the bolts were creaking again. It is a good frame but i can't hear this sound anymore. I feel like the bike is going to brake in every pedal push, so i decide to buy a brand new Santa Cruz HECKLER 5 (frame only) which is a single pivot.

Giant Anthem
    Quote Originally Posted by NONOS
    I own a trance 05 frame with rp3.creaking is my problem too. searching for the reason i realized that the cric-cracs was from the bearings.The bolts was loosen. i've tighten the bolts with a torque wrench. All was ok for about a week, then the bolts were creaking again. It is a good frame but i can't hear this sound anymore. I feel like the bike is going to brake in every pedal push, so i decide to buy a brand new Santa Cruz HECKLER 5 (frame only) which is a single pivot.
    Cric crack, yeah hd that to. From the which bearings, the pivot bearings? If so which ones. Alot of people say to change out the bearings to the enduro's. This may fix the problem. The trance is so smooth, it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner
    Check your seatpost, put a thin layer of grease on it.
    Yes ... try Stoner's suggestion first before going crazy with the rear suspension pivots and bearings. One quick and easy way you can tell if the noise comes from your seat post is to just ride for a while over a bumpy section standing up ... if you no longer hear the creaking, it's your seat post! Take it out, lightly grease the post, make sure the saddle is also tightened properly and you're good to go!

If it turns out to be your pivots or bearings you're in for a bit more work and/or cash. There's a good thread started by LyNx that can help you with this part.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fst4u
    Cric crack, yeah hd that to. From the which bearings, the pivot bearings? If so which ones. Alot of people say to change out the bearings to the enduro's. This may fix the problem. The trance is so smooth, it's worth it.

Im sure that the sounds are from the rockers bearings.if you change the bearings i think that you will forget the problem for a few months.yes it is a very good bike but cant handle my ride anymore.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I had a bad creaking problem on my Reign which turned out to be the seat rails. The bolt clamping the seat rails to the seatpost wasn't tightened enough. It's worth a shot to check it out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Original suspension bearings dislike creek crossings, rainy rides. Half of mine were stuck after 6 months of abuse.

That said, my trance suffered from the same creaking at high torque, I investigated the usual suspects but in the end it was tightening the rear axle way beyond reason that fixed it.

One quarter turn before it breaks is what it takes... :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    My 2017 trance was creaking and it was the jockey wheels on the mech/derailleur....

Members who have read this thread: 0