Cracked Rear Frame on Giant AC- Mtbr.com
    Ammar
    Jul 2006

Cracked Rear Frame on Giant AC

Hey guys, i have cracked my rear frame once again on myu 2005 Giant AC. Does anybody know If I can get another rear frame, since I cracked one before also?
    Also, does anyone know if they are still making these frames, if not, what is my luck?

I AM I AM
    If you have already cracked two maybe you should be thinking of a new and different frame altogether (something more burly)?

I have seen second hand AC bikes still being sold (ebay etc) so no doubt it's possible to at least source a whole second hand frame.

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    yeah, i would really like something like a Faith frame, but I cant seem to find any frames anywhere. I did find a website with the frames, but it is for pick up only in there california store. Idk...

Ride lots...
    Giant won't work with you at all??They have a lifetime warranty on frames, right? My buddy cracked the drive side chainstay on his '05 AC in April and had to wait almost 2 months for the replacement, but he still got it.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As I recently found out, Giant only warrants the aluminum frames for 5 years. I broke my AC frame at 5 1/2 years. Giant is offering to sell me a Reignx for shop cost.

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    so u had to pay for the reigh, or they paid?

mtbr member
    I think thats pretty cool of Giant to give you a break on the Reign even though the warranty on the frame is expired.And you are right, Giant aluminum frames come with a 5 year warranty.
    Last of The Allaire Bastards

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yup. I'm paying for a ReignX frame. The Giant rep said there are not AC frames available anymore.

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    if you dont mind, can you share with us how much you got the frame for, and are they as tough as the Giant AC's, as far as freeride, and downhill is concerned?

Here is my plan:
    1.I have to first find a number to contact giant, b/c I cant seem to find one
    2.Then I will ask if they can give me a break on a Giant reign X, not the reing, b/c it doesnt look as strong.
    3.I will see if there is any chance that i can get a Faith frame.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarhio
    if you dont mind, can you share with us how much you got the frame for, and are they as tough as the Giant AC's, as far as freeride, and downhill is concerned?

Here is my plan:
    1.I have to first find a number to contact giant, b/c I cant seem to find one
    2.Then I will ask if they can give me a break on a Giant reign X, not the reing, b/c it doesnt look as strong.
    3.I will see if there is any chance that i can get a Faith frame.
    1. Giant's going to want you to work with your nearest Giant dealer. That's their (and many other mfgr's) process. Hopefully, a local shop has a good relationship with them. Definitely ask your shops how well they work with Giant in the past. I wouldn't just drop the frame off to the first dealer.
    2. If no AC's are available, you likely will be able to get a Reign or Reign X for an upsell charge.
    3. A faith is unlikely.

My advice is to get with your shop and see what they'll do to help you upgrade to the Reign X.

Cheers,
    EB

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    thnks ebxtreme, teah, reight now i'm aiming for an Reign X, cause i need something tht wont break. The frame sells for about 1k w/ the shock, so i'm guessing somewhere around $600-700 for the store cost. But, if i'm gonna be spending tht much money, i can opt for a nice transition dirtbag, or even a 2005 banshee chapparel

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarhio
    thnks ebxtreme, teah, reight now i'm aiming for an Reign X, cause i need something tht wont break. The frame sells for about 1k w/ the shock, so i'm guessing somewhere around $600-700 for the store cost. But, if i'm gonna be spending tht much money, i can opt for a nice transition dirtbag, or even a 2005 banshee chapparel
    Cool. Well, report back to us on what you hear. I've got a reign and a buddy has a Reign X and that bike is really sweet and can handle a bunch of abuse. I'd say he's ridden the Reign X 5 days in the bikepark this year (before he got his Knolly). I don't think you'd regret that bike at all.

We've got two transitions in our house and those bikes are ultra burly and ride great. I'm a big fan of the new and improved dirtbag (new linkers and longer stroke shock).

Cheers,
    EB

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    great, my bikes broken, and i'm broken too. i dislocated my shoulder gentelmen. check out my post in the DH/FR section

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bummer on the crash. Just up to Whistler and few of my riding buddies crashed big. The ReignX frame cost $650 USD.

Ammar
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mvray
    Bummer on the crash. Just up to Whistler and few of my riding buddies crashed big. The ReignX frame cost $650 USD.

yeah, it suked, nyway, if the reighn x framer is 650, i might as well get a jamis diablo frame for the same $

Ride lots...
    My buddy who just got his AC frame back from the cracked chainstay, just broke his AC frame again right in the middle of the seatpost.

We were looking at the manuals that came with it when he bought it and they say that the frame has a lifetime warranty for the original owner. I thought that is what Giant's warranty was. Where were you told they only warrantied for 5 years??

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mvray
    where plz ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    DSDuke - Mine broke in the same location. The 5 year warranty on aluminum and carbon fiber frames are found in the "Dual Suspension Owners Manual Supplement." Link follows

http://archive.giant-bicycles.com/im...ersion_1.2.pdf

Lolo - The two ways I know of to get a RegnX for that price are: 1. Break your frame and have your LBS work with the Giant rep for some goodwill help with an out of warranty frame, or; 2. Be an LBS employee.

Ride lots...
    The mechanic at our LBS called Giant today and front triangles are available and his replacement should be in next week.

Members who have read this thread: 0