Crack in Frame or Paint?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Crack in Frame or Paint?

I found this possible crack on my 2011 Giant Trance X Frame. I can not tell if crack is only in paint or actually in the aluminum. Giant said not to scratch paint off or warranty is void. So either I ride it more next year and wait for it to get worse, or strip frame and pay shipping to Giant with possibility crack is only in paint. Also, Giant dealer is claiming it may not be worth pursuing either way as Giant will most likely only give a few hundred $ credit for it. That seems like bull considering I am original owner and the frame in 2011 was $1800. Crack is at top tube and seat tube junction around the welds. So crack or not?Crack in Frame or Paint?-frame.jpg

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'd bet $$$ that is a frame/weld crack. Do you have a Giant dealer nearby? Try going through them... they really ought to replace with a current Trance frame. Granted - most of your parts won't transfer over, but they should cough up a new frame. Push them for it.

WillWorkForTrail
    Tough call, it always is with these pictures. Given the stress marks AROUND everything though, I'm going with crack in the frame. My advice? Ride it until it's undeniably a crack, then see what Giant wants to do for you, and go through a local dealer, it's much easier if they're reasonable folks than trying to deal with Giant directly - which Giant generally doesn't like to do. Be sure to follow this up, I'm curious to see what they do. If my current Anthem X 29 frame breaks, they'll basically be down to either sending me a 2018 (which only my fork and front wheel will fit) or doing something completely different. (my frame breaking is not a stretch - it would be the third time)

mtbr member
    OK, not sure why you'd have to ship the frame to Giant, you live in a major US city, surely there are Giant dealers there As to if it's a crack, well, Giant had a lot of issues back then with cracks in that spot, so most likely it is. Do you run your seatpost close to max insert line and what length? If you're running say a 400mm post right at the min insertion line, that would lead me to believe even more that it's a crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm guessing that's a crack getting started. My 2011 Trance X frame cracked in that exact same spot. I had plenty of seat post inserted beyond the minimum and was using a dropper post. The LBS contacted Giant and they warrantied the frame. Giant sent a 2012 Trance X frame. I hope they can sort it out for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have plenty of seat post in frame so that's not the issue. I only rode the bike for two summers, was purchased in fall of 13'. I probably have a total of 600 miles on the bike. Our trails here are pretty tame so no jumps or drops. Basically XC riding. I rode the heck out of my previous specialized stumpjumper with no issues. I'll post how things are handled when I find out.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/termsconditions

Seems pretty cut and dried. If it's "defects in material and workmanship" and you're the original owner then it should be a straightforward warranty claim.

I'm not sure where your Giant dealer is getting their info from that it's not worth pursuing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looks like Giant is sending new front triangle. Surprised they still had old frame. Hope this one lasts longer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Received new 2011 front triangle from dealer no cost to me. I am happy with the way Giant handled the situation. Thanks for all the replies.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by jjyoung View Post
    Received new 2011 front triangle from dealer no cost to me. I am happy with the way Giant handled the situation. Thanks for all the replies.
    Good to hear. Thanks for the follow up. Giant has always been up front dealing with me on warranty stuff, interesting to hear they had the old front triangle. That still sort of leaves me with my concern - when I broke my last frame (2013 Anthem 29er) they sent me a 2017 frame as a replacement. If they run out of those .....?

Enjoy your ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Awesome they got you a compatible frame! My 2008 trek cracked at the same spot (twice, second replacement cracked a little different). They offered a brand new frame that didn't fit any of my components or $450 towards a new bike. I was happy because my components were trash, but understandably most would have been pissed!

Rent this space for $
    Man, I've been seeing a whole lot of Giant frame cracks in the last few months, both internet and also locally. Lots of replaced frames. No dog in the hunt, just an observation and WTF?

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Man, I've been seeing a whole lot of Giant frame cracks in the last few months, both internet and also locally. Lots of replaced frames. No dog in the hunt, just an observation and WTF?
    Giant sells a lot of frames. A lot of bikes. A lot of people local to me buy Giant bikes because, relatively speaking, they're inexpensive for what you get. Then they take their new bikes to the local park, and want to hit the stuff all the cool kids are hitting ( lines with good sized drops, elevated skinnies, (gap) jumps ) and end up breaking stuff because they don't actually know what they're doing, plus a lot of them buy XC bikes and go do this stuff on them, and it simply isn't what they were made for, and no bike was MADE to withstand casing a jump. Anyhow, you'll also see a lot of fatigue cracks like the one above because other folks, (like me) buy Giant bikes because they're a good value, have a good warranty, and we don't have the means to buy a new $5000+ bike every year or two. So we buy a $2500 bike and ride it for 5+ years, and many of them, like me, ride hard, ride often, and the frames simply fatigue over time. At any rate, on my third frame, if Giant can't hook me up when this one breaks, I'll still have gotten my money worth.

mtbr member
    Hi,
    I'll just reuse this thread for a crack/paint chip question.

I ride a Giant Reign 2017 aluminium model and I noticed 2 crack's or paint chip on my frame. One is at the weld of the top/down tube and the other on the chainstay. I'm really not sure if that is a crack or paint chip? Anyone could help or has some experience with the specific frame cracking at these locations? Tnx
    Last edited by KrpaZG; 11-28-2018 at 10:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would not ride that without a shop looking at it. That's two sides of the same joint?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    I would not ride that without a shop looking at it. That's two sides of the same joint?
    No, one is on the weld of the top/down tube and the other one is on the chainstay. I'm going to get it checked out at my local Giant dealer. Just wanted to know if this is a common place the reign is cracking?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KrpaZG View Post
    No, one is on the weld of the top/down tube and the other one is on the chainstay. I'm going to get it checked out at my local Giant dealer. Just wanted to know if this is a common place the reign is cracking?

Just a update...

The frame is indeed cracked. RMA approved by giant. Waiting right now on a new frame.