mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Chainsuck on Anthem

Here lately I've been getting chainsuck really bad and it's damaging my chainstay I really dont know what to do it seems it happens most the time when im into a steep climb or decending. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

mtbr member
    Have a close look at your chain for damaged links or wear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Chain is in perfect condition although there is alot of slack i dont know if thats normal or what.

mtbr member
    If you don't have a chain wear indicator, you can measure 12 links (24 pins) with a scale rule. They should not exceed 12 1/8 inches in length. If your chain is ok, try putting your bike into the gear it sucks the chain and with your hand, pedal the crank backwards slowly looking for any irregularities. Alternatively you can ride it and try to stop pedaling immediately when the chain sucks so you can hop off and see whats happening. Check the condition of your crank rings for damaged teeth or burred chain pickups (little riveted guides on the inside of the chain ring). If you cant find the problem yourself I suggest biting the bullet and taking the bike to your LBS mechanic so he can sort it out for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Will do thanks alot

mtbr member
    have been having chain suck problems on the anthem since day one haven t been able to fix it for anything i ve since resorted to a thick piece of rubber and two zipties on the chain stay behind large chain ring to close in the gap so chain can t lodge there

Come on winter!
    I have always had the least chainsuck with FSA rings. They cured terrible chainsuck on my Trance with the stock RaceFace rings.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, so far I've been using a Shimano LX cranks and never have chainsuck
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

that is not normal and will not help your situation...

Quote Originally Posted by 1cleenAnthem3
    Chain is in perfect condition although there is alot of slack i dont know if thats normal or what.
    shift your chain into the largest rear cog and the largest front ring- if the chain is the correct length, the rear dearailler should be at a 45degree angle, like this "\". If not, remove a link or two and try again. I have an A3 with a 2x9 drivetrain with a relatively cheap Salsa 36t chainring, and have had no problems with chain suck. Also, what type of chain lube are you using- some seem to be worse than others for this problem.

Hey, wait a minute. This post is over a year old. Hopefully the o.p. has figured it out by now...

Members who have read this thread: 0