Chainguide on 2006 Reign Help Please!- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

Chainguide on 2006 Reign Help Please!

Trying to find a guide that will work as close to "out of the box" as possible. I did search and read through the threads on this subject on this forum, but am still confused. I want to run a chainguide with a two rings and a bash, because I'm dropping, and sucking my chain waaay to much (any at all is too much).

My shop, we were going to order the Blackspire dewlie, but then, reading the install instructions on their site It says if there is no ISCG mount on the frame, then you need an "E type" bottom bracket for bottom bracket mount, wtf??

I am currently running a Raceface Evolve DH Crankset with their X type bottom bracket and 3 ring setup. So we decided not to order and need to do more research. So this is me helping my shop research it!

I also went on E13 components website - they have a nice application table and it says their product will not work with Reign.

Can someone knowledgeable Please tell me what bottom bracket mounted guide system I can run that will fit properly - ideally 2 rings and a bash, with DH style guide without having to buy another bottom bracket or anything else? I'll go to single ring setup if necessary. If nothing else if only a stinger type guide fits properly, that's better than nothing right? EB?

Also, will the 08 Reign X frames come with ISCG and will Giant be offerring a frame that is in between a Reign X and a full on DH glory?

Thanks All!
    Last edited by daryl.king; 09-09-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Aug 2006
    Well since I just went through purchasing 2 of the wrong FD'ers and finally got it right on the third try, let me save you some hassle.

E-type: will not work due to interference with the lower linkage.

Top Swing: will not work due to the upper link interference.

This leaves you with one, and only one, option: Bottom Swing FD.

(bottom swing)

(top swing)

In exile
    They are not saying to switch the front derailleur. They are saying that you will have a plate between the bottom bracket cup and the bottom bracket shell. The E-type bottom bracket allows you to use the guide plate or an adapter. That is all they are saying.

Since you are running an X-type crank and BB setup, you need to just remove one of your drive side spacers from your bottom bracket. That does the same thing as having the E-type BB.

BTW - there is a thread in the DH board on Ridemonkey I remember seeing. I'll see if I can dig up a link. I am sure the Blackspire will work though. If nothing else, a Truvativ Shift guide should work.

In exile
    Here's one. Looks like with a little work the e13 will fit. How good is your shop?

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...in+guide+reign

In exile

In exile
    And more. I would really just go with the Truvativ Shift guide. I have a Box guide on a bike and it works very well, with a few mods. Setup on most of these requires a little mod work on most bikes anyway.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=12

Aug 2007

Thanks LG!

Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    They are not saying to switch the front derailleur. They are saying that you will have a plate between the bottom bracket cup and the bottom bracket shell. The E-type bottom bracket allows you to use the guide plate or an adapter. That is all they are saying.

Since you are running an X-type crank and BB setup, you need to just remove one of your drive side spacers from your bottom bracket. That does the same thing as having the E-type BB.

BTW - there is a thread in the DH board on Ridemonkey I remember seeing. I'll see if I can dig up a link. I am sure the Blackspire will work though. If nothing else, a Truvativ Shift guide should work.
    I crossposted this on the Turner forum, and Tscheezy and your answer is consistent. I thought I heard the Blackspire is better or has better rollers than the e13 DRS, but the DRS may have a better shape for the Reign, accordign to Tscheezy. I'll get both your into to my shop.

Thanks again man!

Just roll it......
    I've got the Blackspire stinger with a Truvativ Stylo crankset. No issues whatsoever with chainline and it's worked great.

Cheers,
    EB

Aug 2007
    but I wanted a DH style guide

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by daryl.king
    but I wanted a DH style guide
    Honestly, I've found they're not necessary.

The tension from the bottom roller does more than enough to keep the chain from jumping off the chainrings - even on the nasty brake bump sections in the park.

I've had a stinger or MRP LRP (same design really) on 4 bikes and they all but eliminate dropping a chain. If I felt I needed a dh guide, I would've got one long ago. Of course, if I was running a single ring, I'd likely go for a dh guide, but I run dual rings on all of my bikes - even my dh bike. 14 days in the park so far this season and I haven't dropped a chain once.

Cheers,
    EB

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Honestly, I've found they're not necessary.

The tension from the bottom roller does more than enough to keep the chain from jumping off the chainrings - even on the nasty brake bump sections in the park.

I've had a stinger or MRP LRP (same design really) on 4 bikes and they all but eliminate dropping a chain. If I felt I needed a dh guide, I would've got one long ago. Of course, if I was running a single ring, I'd likely go for a dh guide, but I run dual rings on all of my bikes - even my dh bike. 14 days in the park so far this season and I haven't dropped a chain once.

Cheers,
    EB
    Hey EB, does the stinger have any effect on chain slap? Extra drag? Do you run a long cage rd?
    TIA

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Hey EB, does the stinger have any effect on chain slap? Extra drag? Do you run a long cage rd?
    TIA
    Haggis,

It's cut down on chain slap a bit, but it's not dramatic. I run a medium cage on my Gran mal and a large on my reign, but that's just because that's what I had. When that blows up, I'll move to a medium on the reign as well.

Cheers,
    EB

Members who have read this thread: 0