Cassette Options for '19 Trance Advanced Pro 29 2 (NX stuff)- Mtbr.com
    monster member

Cassette Options for '19 Trance Advanced Pro 29 2 (NX stuff)

Hi folks,

Since the other '19 Trance 29er thread is HUGE, I thought I'd ask here...

I have the '2' which has the NX package. (On the carbon wheelset if that matters.)

When I purchased, I figured someone would make a kit or Shimano would make something to work for 12 speed or something for later upgrading the cassette. Now that Shimano released their 12-speed freehub with microdrive, I'm worried I made a big mistake.

What's the current situation with the hub on this bike as far as getting a better cassette on it? I'm happy with the shifting of the NX, but I want a lighter cassette with just as good shifting.

Relacing the wheel for a new good hub is expensive, and a new nice wheel is expensive, so I'd even be open to converting to 11 speed since the shifter is cheap and our trails here are choppy ups and downs so I'm always shifting 2-3 gears at a time anyway... don't really feel I need 12 cogs. 11-50 is good... I need the 50 and don't miss a 10.

And I don't really want to shade-tree-mechanic this hub and have an o-ring not fit or need extra cleaning.

Any thoughts? Not urgent... won't need a new cassette until next summer.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Something like this should work on your stock hub
    https://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-X...or-3-PAWL-Hubs
    You will need the end caps also.
    Then choose a lighter sram xd driver cassette, or there a few aftermarket cassettes.

mtbr member
    You can do two things:
    Get any DT Swiss 370 Pawl driver body (XD, MS) or get some parts and DT Swiss 350/240s ratchet body and have it converted to ratchet system in the process.
    You can get it for half the price from AliExpress by purchasing ZTTO branded freehub and ratchet rings instead, but it's actually more affordable to purchase entire freehub (ZTTO M1) and have parts shifted around to your freehub while keeping spare parts (axle, bearings), or just replacing rear hub with the ZTTO one.

JT1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I also have a 2019 pro 2. I likely bought it for the same reason you did: fabulous price for the frame and wheels and I figured that I'd replace the NX parts as they wore out.

As fate would have it, a friend upgraded his XX1 to AXS and gave me his XX1 shifter and derailleur. Yeah, lucky me!

So, I did as suggested here: bought a driver and endcaps. Total price of around $75. Installation took all of 15 minutes. I slapped on an X1 Eagle cassette and haven't looked back ... except when I crash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cassette Options for '19 Trance Advanced Pro 29 2 (NX stuff)-trance-drivetrain-close.jpg  

monster member
    Oh, okay. Thanks everyone! That's not bad afterall!
    Have fun!