Buying another trance - 2016 Trance 1 vs Trance 2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Buying another trance - 2016 Trance 1 vs Trance 2

I have 2013 Trance X 29er 1. I love the bike, but it doesn't handle as well as I'd like. It struggles to get around obstacles and tight switch backs ( especially when climbing).

I demo'd the new trance 27.5 1. It was awesome. At $4600, the price is steep. Here is my question. Is the $2000 more than trance 2 worth it? Can I get a 2 and upgrade it myself for less ?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I'd go for Advanced from 2015, probably cheaper too.
    For 3-4k you should be getting a carbon bike with x1, Pike or similar fork and good wheelset.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Wait 4 months and get the new revamped trance when it comes out

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the quick replies. Obs, do you have any info on revamped bike. I can't find any thing..

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbeckj View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. Obs, do you have any info on revamped bike. I can't find any thing..
    No info yet other than I've read in a few places that it for sure is getting refreshed this year. My guess would be boost, maybe more slack, probably less weight etc

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, the 2016 Trance 2 looks hard to beat (only downside might be the 2x10 drivetrain), and the increased price of the Trance 1 makes it a less-good choice IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Trance 1 is an awesome build. I would much rather have that build on an aluminum bike than spend the money for carbon and get a lesser build. The Trance 2 is at a nice price point, but there are some huge sacrifices with it, such as: Fox 32 vs. Fox 34 on the 1. I wouldn't want a 140mm travel bike with 32mm stanchions. If you're riding the bike like it's meant to be you'll really want the 34. The brakes on the 2 are seriously underwhelming. The wheels are heavy and narrow. Basically everything about the bike is pretty budget based and shouldn't really be on a "trail" bike. If you have the budget get the Trance 1 or even spend an additional $400 and get the Trance Advanced 1. In short, I'd say the $2000 difference between the 1 and 2 is definitely worth it. The wheelset alone is at least a $1000 difference.

I also agree with MarinCRO in post #2, if you can find a 2015 Advanced model on sale, I'd seriously consider that as nothing changed from 15-16 with the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2m2hs View Post
    The Trance 1 is an awesome build. I would much rather have that build on an aluminum bike than spend the money for carbon and get a lesser build. The Trance 2 is at a nice price point, but there are some huge sacrifices with it, such as: Fox 32 vs. Fox 34 on the 1. I wouldn't want a 140mm travel bike with 32mm stanchions. If you're riding the bike like it's meant to be you'll really want the 34. The brakes on the 2 are seriously underwhelming. The wheels are heavy and narrow. Basically everything about the bike is pretty budget based and shouldn't really be on a "trail" bike. If you have the budget get the Trance 1 or even spend an additional $400 and get the Trance Advanced 1. In short, I'd say the $2000 difference between the 1 and 2 is definitely worth it. The wheelset alone is at least a $1000 difference.

I also agree with MarinCRO in post #2, if you can find a 2015 Advanced model on sale, I'd seriously consider that as nothing changed from 15-16 with the frame.
    Ah, I hadn't seen the 2016 spec for the Trance 1. Yes, pretty nice parts mix. I have the 2015 Adv 1 which is pretty similar (nice X01 drivetrain), except I'm not super happy with the RS fork and shock, and the new Fox stuff on the 2016 looks promising.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My brother has the 16' trance 1 and that bike is sweet. Climbs very well and decends even better. He bought it 2nd hand with a month of use on it for 3k. I am due for an upgrade soon and will be getting the advance 1, as the build on it for the cost it 2nd to none.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    If you have the budget get the Trance 1 or even spend an additional $400 and get the Trance Advanced 1. In short, I'd say the $2000 difference between the 1 and 2 is definitely worth it. The wheelset alone is at least a $1000 difference.

x2...this is exactly what I was thinking. While 5,000 is not cheap by any means, it's got it in all the rights places.
    Giant Defy Composite - Road
    Giant Trance 27.5 - Dirt
    Giant ToughRoad SLR 1 (drop bar) - Both?

mtbr member
    ... spend an additional $400 and get the Trance Advanced 1.
    +1 on this. For 2015, I thought the sweet spot was the Trance 1. But for 2016, I think that's moved to the Advanced 1. Still, it's $5k. Competitively priced, but not cheap in absolute terms.

I had a 2014 Trance X 1 and liked it. But I had some of the same problems the OP mentioned. I found a crazy deal on a 2014 Trance 1 and love it. It could have a better fork for sure, but I'm not the fastest rider or anything. Mostly, I need a bike that can climb well and handle itself when the trail gets rough (but I slow down on rough trails too ). The 27.5 Trances are the best climbing bikes I've ridden and they handle really well. I've ridden better handling bikes in the same category (Bronson), but it wasn't a huge difference.

All that said, if you like 29ers, the new crop seems to be a huge step up. I spent part of a day on a Scott Genius and that thing was so nimble, I couldn't believe it. I did get ahead of myself on it and ended up hitting a tree, but it was fun until then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    +1 on this. For 2015, I thought the sweet spot was the Trance 1. But for 2016, I think that's moved to the Advanced 1. Still, it's $5k. Competitively priced, but not cheap in absolute terms.

I had a 2014 Trance X 1 and liked it. But I had some of the same problems the OP mentioned. I found a crazy deal on a 2014 Trance 1 and love it. It could have a better fork for sure, but I'm not the fastest rider or anything. Mostly, I need a bike that can climb well and handle itself when the trail gets rough (but I slow down on rough trails too ). The 27.5 Trances are the best climbing bikes I've ridden and they handle really well. I've ridden better handling bikes in the same category (Bronson), but it wasn't a huge difference.

All that said, if you like 29ers, the new crop seems to be a huge step up. I spent part of a day on a Scott Genius and that thing was so nimble, I couldn't believe it. I did get ahead of myself on it and ended up hitting a tree, but it was fun until then.
    Funny I just demo'd the Bronson 2 R today. I pushed on a trail and wiped out. Luckily the bike wasn't damaged, but can't say same for myself I thought it felt a bit sluggish around turns but I was impressed with climbing ability. With that said , I feel the new trance is a better all around bike. The rear suspension on the Bronson had less sag and seemed a little more efficient to pedal, but it felt heavy. I asked the dealer to weigh it when I got back to store...32lbs vs 28 for trance 1. The components don't seem as good as trance. Maybe the carbon wheels or less slack on the trance make it seem so easy to throw around.

I found a trance advanced 1 demo for $3500. Is it worth the risk? What should I look for when buying a demo ?

mtbr member
    I haven't tried the Bronson 2, this was a 2014 model I rode. Is the new one more slack? I have no idea.

One of the things I love about the Maestro suspension is how grippy it is for climbing. I often have it totally open when climbing gnarly stuff and it's like that suspension is always searching for grip.

I don't have a lot of knowledge on what you should look out for on the demo, but my first thought would be, if the frame is in good shape (no cracks or terrible stuff), and the components work, you're probably in good shape. I might look for true damage, like stripped threads and bolts, circular handlebar and seatpost scratches, evidence of no maintenance (rust, sticky actuation anywhere), a worn cassette. I'd care much less on grips, tires and cables.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbeckj View Post
    Funny I just demo'd the Bronson 2 R today. I pushed on a trail and wiped out. Luckily the bike wasn't damaged, but can't say same for myself I thought it felt a bit sluggish around turns but I was impressed with climbing ability. With that said , I feel the new trance is a better all around bike. The rear suspension on the Bronson had less sag and seemed a little more efficient to pedal, but it felt heavy. I asked the dealer to weigh it when I got back to store...32lbs vs 28 for trance 1. The components don't seem as good as trance. Maybe the carbon wheels or less slack on the trance make it seem so easy to throw around.

I found a trance advanced 1 demo for $3500. Is it worth the risk? What should I look for when buying a demo ?
    Does that demo bike come with full warranty?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Called the LBS...warranty but lots of use. They put new tires on it. I would probably be better off buying a used.

mtbr member

Buying another trance - 2016 Trance 1 vs Trance 2

If there's a warranty on it I would get that over a used. Replace the drivetrain and brake pads if necessary and should be good to go
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm a little nervous about the demo bike and want to try a Pivot Mach 6 and 4 (both carbon). I know the 4 might be a little too aggressive but they have 4.5 vs 4 travel on anthem, so hoping it will be a good ride . Pivot is doing a demo day on Sunday. I will make decision after ride. My Bronson injuries should be better by then..Wish me luck !

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I bought a trance 1 for these exact reasons and love the bike. Fox 34, guide brakes and carbon wheels. Totally worth it.