Bought a used trance 2 advance 1 - big mistake- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Bought a used trance 2 advance 1 - big mistake

Hey guys! Been riding for a few years now, been riding a talon 1 for a while, beat the hell out of it and decided to upgrade

found a great deal on what look to be a super clean 2017 giant trance advance 1, ridden one season. Owner was a really nice guy and all seems legit

well warm season is nearing the end for us, been riding the bike well, no falls, had it tuned up a few times over the summer, decided to clean the bike up.... and what do I find?

A crack, at least I think itís one, Iím pretty devastated because I bought it used and realized this is a risk we take with buying carbon bikes, looks like I def lost. Anyways, hereís the crack, right on the downtube below the seat, between the rear suspension

bummer

Anyone know Canada has any repair shops around southern Ontario?
    Bought a used trance 2 advance 1 - big mistake-9b20c047-785c-4be1-a52d-a908a7398ca8.jpeg

mtbr member
    don't draw any premature conclusions yet

that's most likely a scratch...

and even if it's a crack its not the end of the world. Just get the frame warranted, shouldn't be a problem even without a receipt since Giant offers lifetime warranty

I find it always amusing when people ask for an opinion yet don't provide any useful pictures.

If you cannot do it yourself ask someone to help you take 4 sharp pictures from at least two different angles (45į and 90į)

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Will be hard to get it warrantied considering I purchased the bike used.

I can take more pictures, but Iím pretty confident itís a crack, you can def catch it with your finger nail, and itís def a weak point on the frame (seat Post tube) near the bottom

just super disappointed considering me not being very hard on this bike and previous owner was def good to it too (was nearly brand new when I bought it) I should of stuck with aluminum.

mtbr member
    here is an interesting article on carbon frame repair. https://gearjunkie.com/carbon-fiber-bike-frame-repair
    and one on how to
    https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...frame-at-home/

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Bought a used trance 2 advance 1 - big mistake-e69d25b9-20e7-4a6c-8c24-699c0c2db4b7.jpg
    Bought a used trance 2 advance 1 - big mistake-111392be-ce37-4786-91e4-c66225fd28cf.jpg
    Bought a used trance 2 advance 1 - big mistake-ed0d05c6-334f-4855-8888-cbab403776d1.jpg
    Bought a used trance 2 advance 1 - big mistake-e7a7106a-77f9-4cdc-8924-4f60e96f0e38.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Pretty sure the life time warranty on the frame applies only to the original owner of the bike. Just out of interest did you have any issues with the dropper post being stuck in the carbon frame?

mtbr member
    Can you contact the original seller and have him get the frame warranted? Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Nope dropper Post always works as it should

And Iíve removed to clean and grease it before once

mtbr member
    If it is a crack, it doesn't look like a bad one. If it was mine I would try the original owner to see if he could get the warranty fix, if not I'd try the self repair, then ride it like I stole it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Itís super hard to tell if itís a crack

I rode the crap out of it today at a new trail opening at our local park

Had a couple people say it seems more like a scratch

You can def feel it, I removed the dropper and looked inside as best as I could see and could not see any cracks.

Itís hard to tell, going to try and contact original owner this week.

I know the service manager at the local lbs, going to see him as well.

mtbr member
    If it is a crack, look into replacing the fron triangle..... itís just a peace of plastic..... maybe you could get a real bike frame made out of metal....

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    If it is a crack, look into replacing the fron triangle..... itís just a peace of plastic..... maybe you could get a real bike frame made out of metal....
    Just a piece of plastic eh? 😂

Iíll stick to carbon still, regardless of this outcome.

mtbr member
    Regardless, I have broken a couple full suspension frames, if you can not get a warranty you can some times just replace the broken part. It is always cheaper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Wish I could, that potential cracked part is basically the whole frame, Iím not sure what a whole carbon trance advance frame is worth but Iím betting not cheap

If it is cracked and not warrantied im jumping the Santa Cruz bandwagon then.

And He was Not
    tap around it with a nickle and listen to the tone. Start about 2 inches away and slowly move towards crack. Cracked area should have a different tone when you get real close to it.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    Looks like a scratch (at an odd place) but if you're worried I'd just try to get the frame warranted. Just tell them that you are the original owner - who's gonna prove you otherwise?

Giant prouds themselves that they have the most advanced Carbon manufacturing plant in the world (thus the "Advanced" moniker), I'm fairly certain they'll help you out if it's indeed a crack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I did the tap test and although Iím not sure how accurate it is, I could not hear any sound difference, I also looked down the seat tube after removing the dropper and could not see any cracks, not sure if I could see down far enough tho

mtbr member
    What this guy said, try tapping around the area, if it's a crack you should notice a considerable tonal difference from the surrounding area. You can also carefully squeeze it to feel for actual structural weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    tap around it with a nickle and listen to the tone. Start about 2 inches away and slowly move towards crack. Cracked area should have a different tone when you get real close to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    What this guy said, try tapping around the area, if it's a crack you should notice a considerable tonal difference from the surrounding area. You can also carefully squeeze it to feel for actual structural weakness.
    I notice no sound difference, also tried squeezing and it felt quite strong still

Bikes going in weds

If everything checks out Iíll be getting a few upgrades as well

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Just as an FYI, there is carbon repair in SW Ont. I had a friend break a seat stay due to a stick getting into it and it was very nicely repaired. I believe the shop was out of Oakville. I could get the info from him if you need it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    There is a good possibility that it could be a hairline crack in the gel-coat. From my understanding cracks can occur because the gel-coat layer is not as flexible as the carbon layer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by thansen View Post
    There is a good possibility that it could be a hairline crack in the gel-coat. From my understanding cracks can occur because the gel-coat layer is not as flexible as the carbon layer.
    Well regardless I got great news

Got in touch with previous owner, and heís willing to take the bike to the original lbs and get it warrantied for me!

I will keep you guys updated on the frame

mtbr member
    Nice, you said he was a good guy, this proves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TranceGhost View Post
    Well regardless I got great news

Got in touch with previous owner, and heís willing to take the bike to the original lbs and get it warrantied for me!

I will keep you guys updated on the frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    UPDATE!

good news folks, giants sending me a 2019 advance 0 frame! Not sure if there is much difference, between the carbon frames

Iím super stoked regardless, also a bit bummed that my bike is going to be a wierd choice of colours (pretty sure they only replace the front triangle) so Iíll have a black yellow green triangle with a black and blue frame 😂

Sucks but im still happy how quickly itís being fixed

mtbr member
    UPDATE!

good news folks, giants sending me a 2019 advance 0 frame! Not sure if there is much difference, between the carbon frames

Iím super stoked regardless, also a bit bummed that my bike is going to be a wierd choice of colours (pretty sure they only replace the front triangle) so Iíll have a black yellow green triangle with a black and blue frame

Well that's good news. I bet they send a whole frame, but that's just my guess.

mtbr member
    Well, I'll have to say, whom ever you bought it from is a stand up person, happy you're getting sorted, who cares if it's miss-matched and you never know, it might actually look kinda cool

UPDATE!

Iím super stoked regardless, also a bit bummed that my bike is going to be a wierd choice of colours (pretty sure they only replace the front triangle) so Iíll have a black yellow green triangle with a black and blue frame 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Great news - keep us posted on the final outcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Will do!

Crossing fingers giant sends a full frame!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Final update

Bike is done! Got new pedals to match the colour of frame

Going to peel the stickers on wheels and hopefully see if I can find new trx stickers in blue? Get a new mud guard and should be good to go

Anyone know of any place to source wheel stickers?

Bought a used trance 2 advance 1 - big mistake-5000dc71-7bfd-4021-9eae-6770d036a1f0.jpg