bent reignX frame... :???:- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

bent reignX frame... :???:

well then. i have managed to kill my reignX frame.
    during riding in les gets in the french alps, i noticed that one of the links started to "shave"
    the seat tube.
    the left link came in contact with the left side of the seat tube, something is very wrong with my frame, but i could not pin down what is bent.
    anyone else with a similar problem??
    i am attaching some pics so you can see what i am talking about.
    Adi
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    whooahh that looks bad ! Hard to tell from the pictures what's wrong, but I will gladely hear what was it once you solve it!

I was thinking about Reign X but I guess, that with my bag-of-potato style I should stick to Faith!
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    looks like the rockers are out of alignment... i'm guessing you bent 1 or more of them.. did you tighten all the links down?

mtbr member
    cross check th problem with your local giant dealer. Looks like mis-alignment from the photo. I believe it should be covered by th warranty

Jun 2007
    Bout time we see a Reign X with a problem!

I was worried Giant had been 100% flawless!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Wouldn't your link be broken here?
    broken_link.jpg

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I wonder if some bearings went south....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lolo
    broken_link.jpg
    whoa

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

non of the links are broken...

Quote Originally Posted by lolo
    broken_link.jpg

the links are not broken at any point, the whole thing just seems to be bent, not straight.
    i can not tell which of the parts is bent (maybe all of them).
    pictures were sent to giant by my LBS, now waiting for answer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My guess is that the stays are are bent. Looking at the pictures it looks like both are bent in right at the middle on the non-drive side. Did you go down on that side recently. I whacked the chain stay on my Stumpy last year, bent it right in and it threw off the whole rear end alignment. A new set of chain stays and the bike was like new again. A new rear triangle may do the same for your bike.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

I already rode that
    Couldve been just a frame that was misaligned. Seen the same sort of thing on different brands of bikes. The funniest thing is when you show it to the rep and they look at it and then say it looks perfectly fine. Talk about kissing company ass.

Let us know what Giant said was the problem.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

Just roll it......
    Dude,

This exact thing just happend to my buddy up in Whistler. His did it after 6 days up there in the park. It was the seatstay bearings that went t*ts up on him and he didn't notice it until there was a nasty rub on the seattube. I guarantee you it's the same thing. You'll need to get those bearings replaced. He's riding his still and it's working fine, but others should pay attention to this area on their frames.

EB

Yebo Numzaan
    Hey dude....That is exactly what happened to my bike (I am the dude ebxtreme is talking about). In fact that could even be my bike you took a picture of ?? I thought the actual swingarm was totally bent from some of the hard hitting Whistler riding...but when I looked at another reign on the shop floor, I saw that pivot is actually assymetrical (the right side is bowed outwards), so dont be alarmed by that.

When we took the bike apart at the shop, the bearing was just toast. When I first noticed that the rear end seemed really stiff, I found that that bearing attached to the seat stay on the drive chain side was about 1 twist loose, i tightened it, but the rear end was still stiff...obviously frmo all the rubbing going on on the seat stay. Only noticed that after one more run.

Giant didnt want to warranty anything...saying it was rider error for not checking the pivots. I had actually checked them at the end of the previous day.

The good news, is that it was easilly fixed with just a new bearing and the whole swing arm seems pretty much aligned. I am just left with that nasty scar on the seat post.

Whether it is mental or what...but the bike doesnt quite feel as plush / smooth as it used to. So maybe there is still something out of alignment? I need to compare the distance between the seat post and the swingarm right at that point of rubbing to see whether it is the same as another Reign.

At the time, i was the first person to have encountered this problem and Giant USA totally werent willing to even look at it, so perhaps we now have a case to go back to them?

Adios

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shpitzs
    the links are not broken at any point, the whole thing just seems to be bent, not straight.
    i can not tell which of the parts is bent (maybe all of them).
    pictures were sent to giant by my LBS, now waiting for answer.
    If that picture is of your bike, it really looks like the lower link is broken no? There is a gap where metal should be, and that would easily explain the suspension rubbing on the seat tube...

Yebo Numzaan
    I think that is an optical illusion...the link tucks in behind the chain stay there and there is clump of grass hiding it

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks for the reply.
    I did not really check the bearings, and my bike is already in the shop so i don't know if we had the same problem, although it sounds like we did.
    I don't live in the US, I am from Israel. so i don't think i can help you with giant USA, but i do think you need to demand a new front triangle from whoever you bought the bike from.
    that is what i going to do.
    i will update about how things are going.
    Adi

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops
    I think that is an optical illusion...the link tucks in behind the chain stay there and there is clump of grass hiding it
    Ah, yeah, it might just be mud/grass on the pivot.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    same thing happened to my buds X-I it was his upper pivot main bearing, when they blow, they allow the links to really flex over, causing the rubbing. check all your bearings
    2020 Santa Cruz Megatower

2019 Chromag Rootdown

2019 Specialized Stump-jumper EVO 29er

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Jul 2007
    Does anyone lube the pivot bearings or are they just as is where is... have not paid much attention to them. What are they made from? Bronze? Delrin?, bushings? becasue some lubes are muy no es bueno on certain materials and can lead to degredation.

-CR

Members who have read this thread: 0