ARG! my Reign squeaks!- Mtbr.com

Jun 2007

ARG! my Reign squeaks!

Something in the rear end of my 05 Reign 2 squeaks. Its not the cranks or bottom bracket, I know that much. It either a link in my rear suspension or the swinger 3 way thats doing it but I cant track it down. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't, and its annoying as all hell. Nothing ruins a nice ride like a constant string of little squeaks as I hit every bump. I thought id try dropping some chain lube on my suspension links or something to see if it helps, or if its the swinger, dab some oil on the shock itself. What oil should I use on the shock? and if its possible its the links, what should I do about that?

anyone else have this problem?

thanks

mtbr member
    Hey Finchypoo,

I recently got a 07 Reign 1.

Relatively new into MTB after about 3yrs break from it! Have you checked your disc brakes?

Hope it helps.

Jon

Jun 2007
    yea thats like the first thing I checked, its definitely not them. Its something that squeaks from bouncing the bike up and down, either by pedaling hard or bumps or just bouncing around.

thanks

mtbr member
    Ok. Looking back on your first post, have you checked you bearing on the joint?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Check your seat!

I live to bike
    after a couple years on an 05 Reign, it's time for some new pivot bearings. Get some Enduro Max bearings and you'll probably have less squeaking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    after a couple years on an 05 Reign, it's time for some new pivot bearings. Get some Enduro Max bearings and you'll probably have less squeaking.
    Here's the link. What service

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id55.html

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    Yep, what Jwiffle said. It's almost certainly the seatstay pivots bearings on your reign.

Get the enduro bearing set and put some new bearings in that sucker. If you're not comfortable doing that, get the set and have them installed by a good shop. It took me a couple of hours to replace all of the pivots, but that's mainly because the main pivot axle-thingy was a total beyotch to get out.

Cheers,
    EB

Aug 2006

Reign Squeek

Try removing your shock and lubing the bushings. I had an intermittant squeek and now my bottom shock bolt is seized in the frame. I have been riding it for a little over a year.

mtbr member
    Some good suggestions here and I'll 2nd most of them, but mainly the bearing replacement. You could be lucky and not have toasted bearings - but highly unlikely Loads of threads on this, basically check the stiffness of the rear and hold the front triangle and rear and rock them - you can easily see movement in the rocker if the bearings are toast.

Check out the bearing replacement guide, it's pretty straight forward and doable by yourself once you take your time http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=242343

Bushings for the shock could also be the culprit as well as the shock itself. Isolating if it's the shock is dead easy though so you should be able to rule that out - if the shock is the squeaker it sounds like it's coming from the shock, no where else. Determining if it's the bushings can be a bit harder, but normally some lube on them stops the squeaking if it's them and then you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

I AM I AM
    While you're at it may pay to check to see if the shock bushings are worn. Grab the seat tube and try to move it in an up / down motion, if there is any movement you should get new bushings. I had them replaced recently on my 18 month old trance (it was mainly the lower one).

Members who have read this thread: 0