Apparently, I have a problem- Mtbr.com
    Upgrade Addict

Apparently, I have a problem

I can't stop buying new parts for my '03 NRS 2... So I walk into REI today with my annual dividend check and my 20% off coupon... I'm thinking, I'll pick up a new jersey, some shorts, and maybe a new pump. I walk out with an '04 XT M760 crankset with integrated BB and new M760 cassette. Huh. Funny how that works.

I'll post a follow up to let you guys know how I like the new cranks on the NRS. Not that there was really anything wrong with the RaceFace Prodigy XC's...

I love Pisgah
    Welcome my son..to the land of the walking...um...cronic upgraders.

Heck, beats sitting on the couch watch others have fun...eh? Sounds good anyways...heheheh

Cool on the new stuff. Just got my $22 REI ck too...hmmmm...

\|/Home of the Braves\|/

Oh yeah, me too

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Welcome my son..to the land of the walking...um...cronic upgraders.

Heck, beats sitting on the couch watch others have fun...eh? Sounds good anyways...heheheh

Cool on the new stuff. Just got my $22 REI ck too...hmmmm...
    I think I'm buying a glove with mine!
    Seriously though, I've got a couple pair of closeout REI brand gloves and they just won't die. I really like 'em
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... REI Dividend

Rain suit and new bike carrier with mine. And then I stopped by the LBS and ordered a new Thomson seatpost (REI did not carry it). Will it never end???

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Actually no, it will never end. Have no idea why but seems that I purchase something bike related at least on a monthly basis.

VT, did you went the 30.9 Thomson way or will you keep the shim?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmre
    I can't stop buying new parts for my '03 NRS 2... So I walk into REI today with my annual dividend check and my 20% off coupon... I'm thinking, I'll pick up a new jersey, some shorts, and maybe a new pump. I walk out with an '04 XT M760 crankset with integrated BB and new M760 cassette. Huh. Funny how that works.

I'll post a follow up to let you guys know how I like the new cranks on the NRS. Not that there was really anything wrong with the RaceFace Prodigy XC's...
    I was thinking about the same crank upgrade. (on the same bike). Already bought the same cassette.
    Let us know how it works.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ordered the exact fit of 30.8 - checked Thomson's site and they make the size in 367 or 410 mm. The reasoning I used for getting the new post is that the current post/shim combination creaks- the original shim creaks real bad and the current shim I am using less so, but is still annoying. So to eliminate the shim I NEED a new seatpost in the correct diameter to fit the frame and since Thomson is the only one I could find in the right size.......

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Did you greased the shim and post prior to tightening? Mine has never creaked. But seriously considering the Thomson, I'm using a Salsa Shaft with the factory shim.

Are you going to use the 367?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Did you greased the shim and post prior to tightening? Mine has never creaked. But seriously considering the Thomson, I'm using a Salsa Shaft with the factory shim.

Are you going to use the 367?

Yeah, I tried greasing the shims and post which only keeps the creaking away for a few rides. The 367 is plenty long enough- at my ride height there will still be about 20 - 30 mm of post protruding below the seat mast.

Upgrade Addict

I love the new XT's

Quote Originally Posted by racer99
    I was thinking about the same crank upgrade. (on the same bike). Already bought the same cassette.
    Let us know how it works.
    I rode them for the first time this weekend. I put about 20 miles on them and couldn't be happier. The shifts are a ton smoother than the Race Face and the feel super strong. Kind of cool looking straight through the bottom bracket, too. LOVE 'EM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the info. TIme to order some more parts...

mtbr remember
    I've been drooling over those M760s for awhile now. Too bad all my $$ is going towards a Fox Talas first- got to get rid of that SID blackbox noodle crap. Too bad REI doesn't carry Fox either- oh well my check is only for $21.