Any Ideas How to Fix Giant's Oversight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Any Ideas How to Fix Giant's Oversight?

I bought a 2016 Anthem SX a couple months back.

I love how the bike works, but Giant sucks at paying attention to details.

It comes with their dropper post. The cable runs internally, exits on the bottom side of the down tube, wraps around the bottom bracket, then goes vertically up through the back of the seat tube. I already put 3 layers of duct tape on the bottom bracket to keep the cable rub off the frame, but the way the cable runs, if I keep it where it is, it settles into the side of the linkage.

It's already worn a good size divot into the linkage. I took it back to the shop and we sent a picture to Giant. Their solution was to tell me to keep riding it and let them know if it brakes. Also, I could "re-route the cable through the bottom bracket".

First of all... NOT impressed that their frame has two holes in it to run a cable that they're suggesting I just abandon and re-route. Secondly, I took the crank off and realized pretty quickly that since it's a press-fit BB and with the way the tubes are formed, there's just not enough space to route it internally even if I was okay with that option. I'm a bit stuck at this point, since I don't want to zip tie the cable to anywhere it's not secure.

Giant has been emailed again. We'll see if they step up and do something about it.

Until then; has anybody else had to deal with the dropper routing on a 2016 or similar? Any novel ideas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My 2014 anthem carbon routed fully internally. Maybe the alloy frame is different?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post
    My 2014 anthem carbon routed fully internally. Maybe the alloy frame is different?
    same with my 2015.

You talking about the front derailer cable in this picture?

mtbr member
    Yep...Same location. On mine, they BOTH run in the same area, stacked on top of each other basically. I went 1x up front from day one and got rid of the front der. cable. Unfortunately, the cable stop that remains isn't sized to properly take the dropper cable and I'm not too keen on spreading it apart. I still don't think that would get the cable far enough away from the linkage either.

mtbr member
    Why don't you flip the post cartridge and run it internally throughout the frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    It doesn't look like it can be routed internally around the press-fit BB, but it does work, I've set several up this way. The holes you currently have it routed through works best for the front derailleur. The other option you could try would be running a longer run of housing so that it had more of a loop around the underside of the bottom bracket. Good luck with it!

Your Best Friend
    Jdbaum3 is correct. It routes just fine inside the frame and around the PFBB.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Even on the new frame? Good to know if so... I guess i'll try it. I'm hesitant because it looks like it will certainly rub the frame along the corner junction of the down tube and seat tube. Oh well.... they told me to run it that way, I guess if the frame develops any issues after pounding on it for a couple years I'll claim warranty.

Your Best Friend
    The housing doesn't move. It won't rub the frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Perhaps before railing against the manufacturer it would be wise to know what you are talking about. Bikes are shipped to retailers in boxes where final assembly and setup is done. The seat post is not attached at the factory. As has been pointed out by others who actually are working from experience and have the facts, the internally routed seat post housing can be routed around the bottom bracket and is hidden from just below the head tube - by design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill88 View Post
    Perhaps before railing against the manufacturer it would be wise to know what you are talking about. Bikes are shipped to retailers in boxes where final assembly and setup is done. The seat post is not attached at the factory. As has been pointed out by others who actually are working from experience and have the facts, the internally routed seat post housing can be routed around the bottom bracket and is hidden from just below the head tube - by design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Perhaps consider that there is in fact a hole on the back side of the seat tube.....which means either Giant DID route it this way, or they for some reason intended that it be routed this way. (as indicated by their response) ....I've accepted the advice of others and I will CONTINUE to denounce Giant's layout on my particular frame.

I got what I needed from the knowledgeable people located here already.

The biking community does this weird thing where they chastise people for calling manufacturers out if they feel there is an issue. I don't get it. I'm not asking anybody to jump on my bandwagon, just creating a civil discussion of the issue at hand.

I think I'm being reasonable, you may not. But at the end of the day, this is my perception and perception is reality for me. I'd rather people be informed than not. Maybe if somebody else sees this they can re-route their new 2016 and plug the hole before they ever grind a divot into their linkage and have to ride the thing wondering if/when it will finally crack and fail.

Your Best Friend
    You are the only person to be having this problem. That says something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    You are the only person to be having this problem. That says something.
    What it says is that I'm the only person who has:

-purchased a 2016
    -received it from Giant with the routing in question
    -realized the routing has caused a physical deformity in the linkage
    -and posted on mtbr about it

That's all it says. If you're unwilling to accept that all of these things are true; well....you're wrong.

If you're unwilling to accept that those things are a problem, that's up to you.

To me, it is. Giant packaged and sent out a bike that has a problem as received. If it's my responsibility to undo their original routing from day one and move it somewhere else, fine, but that's the kind of thing that needs to be disclosed to people who might consider a bike from a manufacturer.

Maybe you guys aren't getting this.

I now understand where the cable needs to be!!! That does not, however, change the fact that that's not where Giant put it from the factory. And it most certainly does not change the fact that the routing they DID chose has proven to be problematic.

Your Best Friend
    I will point out to you that your bike is built by your local bike shop. It is their responsibility to make sure it is assembled correctly and functions as well. Keep blaming Giant though.

mtbr member
    For Christ's sake man... I realize that the bike shop should have caught it, but they didn't. And I should have caught it, but I didn't. And then I did. And that's what this post is about.

Some would say the bike shop should have caught it and changed it. Some would say Giant should have had the foresight to figure it out before giving it the stamp of approval. You're in the former group, I'm in the ladder.

The odd thing is... I wasn't all that upset with Giant about this when I started the thread. I still maintain that they screwed up letting it out like this, but I know that when and if the linkage breaks, they'll replace it. I just hope it's not when I'm 20 miles out on a trail alone. What does have me pretty fired up now is that there's so much resistance from people on the internet defending Giant. I guess I just consider myself to be a realist. Giant doesn't pay me, I pay them, which means I'm fully entitled to my opinion on what does or doesn't suck about their bike. For the record, what doesn't suck is the suspension and that's why I gave up my Santa Cruz which had all of these little ticky tack details 100% ironed out. But whatever, I digress...

mtbr member
    These things certainly happen. There's no such thing as flawless especially when it comes to human run systems, in this case Giant's and the LBS' quality assuranse system. Glad that you caught it and try to rectify it the soonest. It is your every right as a consumer to find answers when you think there's a problem. You paid good money for this and not the other way around.

Your Best Friend
    Fyi the linkage and rear triangle are NOT part of Giants lifetime frame warranty. Get it sorted out sooner rather than later.

mtbr member
    Well that's just lovely. I guess I hope it either never breaks or it breaks really quickly somewhere convenient so they hopefully help me out. Can OEM frame parts like the link be purchased off the shelf just to have?

Your Best Friend
    Talk to your LBS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I also have a new 2016 Giant Anthem 1 that has a cable run issue! My LBS installed a Giant dropper post for me and did a nice job of the install.
    After a few rides, I noticed the outer cable that comes from the dropper comes out of the frame and around the BB and back into the frame. Due to the bend radius of the outer cable it pushes against the swinging arm area slowly wearing off the paint, rubbing at the weld and the outer dropper cable.
    I have asked around for advice but the only solution I receive is: Use Jagwire of get rid of the dropper post! Not happy Giant!!!! 😩

Your Best Friend
    Push the housing deeper into the frame at either end.