mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Any clydes riding a Reign?

Just curious how you are getting along with the 3:1 leverage ratio and what psi you guys are running in the rear shock.

thanks,

-Sp

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm currently 209lbs, running @190psi w. 50psi SPV
    when I was 230lbs I ran @220psi w. 50psi SPV
    works well for "normal" AM-biking, a bit too soft for jumping and hucking though, but the maestro linkage really works, so even if the pressure is a bit low, it doesn't bob when seated

I like the rear suspension, doesn't blow through travel and small bump compliance is fairly good, quite responsive overall, maybe a 2:1 ratio would handle even better, but the reign is as good or better than any other bike i've tried.

Mtbr member
    May 2004
    SP,

Me= 215lbs

Swinger 3-way= 165 psi main, 100 or 50 psi in the SPV

Fox RP3= 235 psi

Neither shock has blown through it's travel, but I used more travel with Swinger 3-way.

-Pic

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot
    Just curious how you are getting along with the 3:1 leverage ratio and what psi you guys are running in the rear shock.

thanks,

-Sp
    198 running 160/55 with Swinger. No issues, with 3' to tran often & flat occasionally.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot
    Just curious how you are getting along with the 3:1
    what does mean the 3:1 ratio you are speaking about?
    thanks for your answer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It's the leverage ratio of the rear suspension 3 to 1 The Reign has 6 inches of rear wheel travel, and a shock stroke of 2 inches. So for every 3 inches of rear wheel travel, there is 1 inch of shock travel - a 3:1 ratio.

That is just a basic explanation, from the beginning of the travel to the end, the leverage ratio is constantly changing, depending on the suspension design, where the pivots are, link lengths, etc...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Just picked up one the WW R3's (21"), so we'll see what it has when I clip my hulking girth in at 275lbs + gear.

I was previously riding a 1999 C-dale Super V that has a slightly higher than 3:1 ratio, using a 4-way Air Swinger for the past 2.5 years, which handled it just fine. I used to run it with the psi just about + to my weight (275lbs). It looks like many folks are running psi that is 10% to 20% less than their weight. But that was also a single pivot and this isn't, so I'll have to see how behaves. On the C-dale and 4-Way, I preferred having the volume adjuster backed out all the way to make the travel more linear and I'm curious to see how the 3-Way compares, but wary because I would prefer the ability to adjust that.

I once spent a week with a VT1 and loved the 3-Way on it.

Got one for my son too and just got it built up far enough (all but the shifters, chain and derailleurs) for us to coast down the street with (and play around on a few driveway aprons - woohoo!) and it seems soak up the few small bumps we could find quite nicely.

We're both going to run a Manitou Minute 1:00 fork (I also had one of these on my Super-V) for a build more toward the XC side of the All-Mountain spectrum. Came out of WW with the Reign frame and Minute 1:00 fork right at $600. Too good to pass up!

Regards,
    Jeff

Members who have read this thread: 0