Anthem X 29er 1-2-3 re-release date info ?- Mtbr.com
    errr...

Anthem X 29er 1-2-3 re-release date info ?

Anyone who might have some LBS info...that'd be great. 90% sure i'm buying an AX 3. Just when is the issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The answer is that no one really knows. I was down to have it delivered this week (week 39) but it's been pushed back to week 42. I've been on order since the start of August here in Australia.

My bike shop indicates that they're down for a couple more (above and beyond mine) in week 50. That seems to correlate with information from other guys here in Aus - including those that have had the bikes delivered, and then had to return them.

Of course, there's no actual information from Giant. It's getting kind of ridiculous really - no one has any idea what's happening. A week 50 delivery would equate to around a 20 week wait for myself.. 4.5 months = just plain stupid.

errr...
    After trying to get some information on a release range, i got a local Philly dealer to call his rep and he got back to me right away. The answer is, there is no information yet on releasing this bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Anthem X 29ers

I emailed my LBS (Boston) asking about pricing and availability and this is what he emailed me back:

"The new frames are starting to get transfered into the sales system as we speak. I would expect them to be available by the middle of October."

If that is true... I don't know but wanted to let you know.

Cheers

errr...

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by chelenegra
    I emailed my LBS (Boston) asking about pricing and availability and this is what he emailed me back:

"The new frames are starting to get transfered into the sales system as we speak. I would expect them to be available by the middle of October."

Cheers
    Sounds good! I'm down for an AX 29er3 Hard.

2011 AX 29er3
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us....3/7508/44090/

2011 Ax 29er2
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us....2/7508/44089/

2011 AX 29er1
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us....1/7508/44088/

2011 AX 29er frameset
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...et/7508/44748/

Last edited by chase1963; 10-05-2010 at 06:24 AM.

errr...
    Who knows what the difference is between the P-XC rims on the AX 2 vs. S-XC rims of the AX 3 ? Can't find it on Giant's site or, a Google search.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chelenegra

Cheers
    Hope it's true. Thanks for letting us know.

banjo plunker, wrench
    Our shop has had A2's and A3's on order since the show out in Utah...still NO word from our rep, Giant, or UPS! I would rather wait on the Trance X 29er of 2012 now (hopefully), I'll just keep riding SS till the Trance X 29er's make their way into our shop!
    any time spent riding a bicycle is re-cycled goodness....

errr...
    Ttt /\

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Replacement X1s are starting to ship here in Aus. Some have got them after being on a waiting list (i.e. not a recall), so there seems to be some stock trickling through.. god only knows if it will be enough :P

errr...
    That is positive news Jubas, thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bike companies usually work a year in advance. They usually have a rolling 5 year plan for changes. The frames for the first batch of AX29's were probably made 6-8 months ago. They got recalled so new ones have to be made...right when everything else needs to be finished and shipped. This sucks for us and even more for Giant. These bikes will be worth the wait. We have to sit tight and they will get here when they get here.

errr...
    /\ Sounds expensive. Hopefully Giant doesn't up the MSRP.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone know the weights of each???

Leg Shaver
    Are the decals removable on the 1 polished frame?
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

lookin' for a hill
    weight courtesy of Bikerumor was 27.05lbs. Now mind you the picture is of the large frame with the Ax 1 parts package, but on the Ax3 painted frame. so the Ax 1 polished kit probably weighs in the high 26's.
    The decals (unfortunately) are in the clear coat. They are that new, almost sublimated, super thin style decal so you would have to sand down the clear coat to raw, polish and recoat to get that bare look.

errr...
    I like that AX 29-3 frame with AX 29-1 specs. Thanks for the link. I smell these bikes getting closer.

errr...
    ttt

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anyone heard anything yet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My lbs says AX29er's will be in sometime in december.

errr...
    Quote Originally Posted by formulaone33
    My lbs says AX29er's will be in sometime in december.

East coast ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    They've started shipping in Australia although are still rare as hen's teeth. The X1 is the only model we're getting - some shops have them, some people have them (yay), and some people are looking at late December for delivery

Still no communication from Giant, so absolutely bugger all idea what the situation is..

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I live in northern VA and my LBS told me that the latest information the have is "Call Giant" which has been the case for the last few months. They did told that they are definitively getting demo bikes before they get any inventory.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubas
    They've started shipping in Australia although are still rare as hen's teeth. The X1 is the only model we're getting - some shops have them, some people have them (yay), and some people are looking at late December for delivery

Still no communication from Giant, so absolutely bugger all idea what the situation is..
    Man, do you check the forum before going to work

Carbon & Ti rule
    I had a look at the new Anthem 29er in Tauranga, New Zealand today & get to ride it tomorrow.
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

errr...
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    I had a look at the new Anthem 29er in Tauranga, New Zealand today & get to ride it tomorrow.
    Please post your thoughts on the bike after you ride it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dolande
    Man, do you check the forum before going to work
    I tend to start work early

For the others, these are my thoughts (cross-post from a different forum):

Right - first ride report.. 22kms out and back firetrail with about 100m of singletrack. Just a nice easy ride to get the feel of the bike. I'm still very much in the setup phase, and to be honest, i need to do a lot more

Bear in mind that I'm coming from a relatively basic 26 inch hardtail so I've doubly made the move to dual suspension and 29 inch wheels at the same time.

I can totally understand why people talk about the weight in the wheels and gaining momentum. It's certainly a significant difference coming from a 26er. I'm currently running stock - crossmarks 2.1 front and rear, tubes, running 30 psi pressure. I didn't realise how much of a difference it would make to be honest - I'm a little iffy on having a crossmark up front. I run it on the back on my 26er and it's nice, but I definitely need something with a tad more bite up front - will investigate accordingly. I'm also going to play around with PSIs a bit more, and potentially bring forward my order for a new wheelset.

Riding along flats/slight uphills were nice - once I got going. I'm going to need to learn to carry more momentum into uphill sections I think. Having said that, I cleared two sections on the track which had previously given me traction/front wheel lifting problems - not impossible, but hard to do - easily today. The back wheel just seems to stick to the ground. The front was incredibly easy to keep down (a benefit of moving to a more XC geometry too).

I rode about 100ms of singletrack without anything too technical. I'm going to need to learn to keep a bit more weight over the front wheel i think. It'll take some practice, but I don't think the tight stuff is going to be too much of an issue.

Downhills - lol. Just, lol. The bike feels so incredibly stable and quick to respond. A slight nudge, and I can change the line quickly. I totally get why people call 29ers steamrollers now. It also made water bars a whollllllle lot more interesting. I'm going to need a parachute on my next ride i think!

What also became clear is that i'm nowhere near setup right. I'm currently running my seatpost about 1.5cms higher than on my 26er (I initially started with the same height, but changed it mid ride to great effect). Having said that, my seat position is clearly out - I wasn't able to get that good circular rhythm going on the flat/slight incline/decline sections. My calf muscles were engaging significantly more than my quads/hamstrings. It's something I'm going to have to play around with.

I was focusing mostly on the shock in terms of suspension today. I had started at 150psi but increased it slightly to about 160psi. I'm around 90kgs all kitted up. Has anyone got a good fox suspension setup guide? I'm still a little uncertain on the propedal settings and will probably need guidance on the fork once I give it more attention.

Bar width i'm still a little unsure about. The added width was nice for stability, but it really is wide. I was completely wrong about the brake levers (see previous post) - they're great while actually riding. I might need to move my shifters out towards the grips a bit as I missed one or two shifts because of the gap. I'm not entirely convinced by the saddle either. I'm used to a slightly wider saddle with more flex. I'm going to give the new one a bit more time in the saddle (geddit?) before doing anything drastic. It's clearly not setup correctly either just yet.

Overall, the ride was fantastic - the bike is amazing. I had felt like i'd hit the limits of my old bike, so the new 29er feels like one i can grow into if you will. I'm looking forward to getting it setup properly and putting in some major distances.

The ONLY real negative thing about the bike happened mid-ride. Making my way up a hill, the sun shone on me at such an exact angle, that the bike's top-tube reflected directly into my eyes, temporarily blinding me. Quite the shock

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice to hear that they've started delivering some of the bikes.

Have any pics? Is there a visible change between the original models and the post recall frames?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I didn't receive one before the recall, but i think the change has been minimal (if any). I suspect that some of the welds on the top tube/seat tube join weren't done properly - either from an alignment or strength perspective.

errr...
    Thanks Jubas .Some pics would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sounds good Jubas, sounds like you're really going to enjoy this bike. Don't know if the RP23 differs from the FloatR, but when I rode a Trance I had to keep the PSI in the shock about body weight or a bit above for how I liked the bike to ride. Just play with the PSI until you get somewhere between 15-20% SAG and adjust the rebound so it's not so fast it bucks you right up and not so slow it takes forever to come back after a hit.

As to the bars, give them a bit of time to get accustomed to, I know I still regret that I used to ride such narrow bars now after trying wide ones and basically killed a real nice set cutting them down. I think anywhere above 25" is a good place to start, currently run 27" and love them, might like to try wider.

As to the clearing those climbs, I think I'd attribute that to the longer contact patch 29ers give over 26ers and not being slowed as easily by small rocks/obstacles. Give the wheels a try for a bit, you might just need to get accustomed to the overall weight penalty of everything being bigger. Do you have a scale you can throw them on to see what they weigh? Just FYI a set of Flows on Pro2s wheelset weighs about 1800g.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Afraid that I've not taken too many pictures - have been out riding way too much!

I've had quite a few more rides from that first review - i'm running the shock at higher psi - about 165psi now i think. I've also got the saddle further forward, which has solved some of my issues with getting a smooth flowing pedal action.

I'm still unsure on the bars. I did a 4 hour, 50km ride on Sunday and i was getting tingling on my hands/wrists from about the 3.5 hour mark. I'm not sure whether this is a result of the width of the bar, the sweep on the bar, or the fact that i'm just using foam grips. I'm still not 100% on it, so will give it a little longer until i make a decision. At some point i'll probably replace it with a carbon bar, but want to at least make sure that i'm not testing with carbon bars ($$$$$$!)

Next upgrade will certainly focus on the wheels. They're definitely harder to get up to speed than my previous 26er. At the moment i'm thinking stans arch rim with a TWE hub (local producer) running specialized s-works fast traks. Having said that, i'm a bit of a newbie to custom wheelsets, so am still very much doing my research.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    As to the bars, give them a bit of time to get accustomed to, I know I still regret that I used to ride such narrow bars now after trying wide ones and basically killed a real nice set cutting them down. I think anywhere above 25" is a good place to start, currently run 27" and love them, might like to try wider.

As to the clearing those climbs, I think I'd attribute that to the longer contact patch 29ers give over 26ers and not being slowed as easily by small rocks/obstacles. Give the wheels a try for a bit, you might just need to get accustomed to the overall weight penalty of everything being bigger. Do you have a scale you can throw them on to see what they weigh? Just FYI a set of Flows on Pro2s wheelset weighs about 1800g.
    Realised that I didn't actually answer half your questions! In terms of the bars you're using, what sort of sweep is there? I think that might be an issue for me given the long width of the bars - i.e. i would imagine the wider bars go, the more sweep they should incorporate? From memory i think my bars are a 5% bar, and i couldn't help but think an extra few degrees would help me considerably. I've also thought about looking at ergon grips but am sceptical :P

In terms of the wheelset, I've not weighed them personally, but another guy out here in Aus weighed them in at 1900gms or so (maybe 1930 - will try to track down the post). The big weight addition is obviously in the tires (crossmarks at 605gms according to Maxxis), and obviously the tubes.

In looking at an upgrade with arches/TWE/fast-traks, i'd be looking to lose roughly 1kg all up from the wheels. I'm a little on the heavier side (90kgs kitted up) so based on feedback, rims like the Crests etc might be too flimsy for me. But, as i say, the research continues.

Now don't get me wrong either, the wheelset on the anthem is great to start with - they're stiff (particularly up front with the QR15), but the tires suck for the riding i do. I use a crossmark on my the rear of my 26er so can get past that, but up front? nooooo confidence in turns at speed on loose over hard :P

Meat Clever
    Jubas,
    Sorry if you've already posted: your height and frame size?
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    The bars I'm using are the Easton EA50 flat bars, 685mm wide, 9 degree sweep. Yes, sweep will make a difference in how bars feel and I seem to like 9 degrees - not an alt bar, but brings your hands back into a slightly more natural position. Bar width is personal and supposed to go based on shoulder width, but clearly thats a load of horse $hit as I don't think we have guys rolling around here with 27"+ wide shoulders

To the Ergons, I truly love them and use them on all my bikes, won't ride a bike without them. Right now I use the GX1 and GX2 - no bar ends for the trail bike, bar ends for the road bike (rigid MTB).

Tyre wise, I used to run Crossmarks, but then I'd only run it in the rear and throw an Ignitor upfront. This is quite a popular combo it would seem from the amount it gets thrown out when people ask about combos that are fast, yet have enough grip.

Realised that I didn't actually answer half your questions! In terms of the bars you're using, what sort of sweep is there? I think that might be an issue for me given the long width of the bars - i.e. i would imagine the wider bars go, the more sweep they should incorporate? From memory i think my bars are a 5% bar, and i couldn't help but think an extra few degrees would help me considerably. I've also thought about looking at ergon grips but am sceptical :P

In terms of the wheelset, I've not weighed them personally, but another guy out here in Aus weighed them in at 1900gms or so (maybe 1930 - will try to track down the post). The big weight addition is obviously in the tires (crossmarks at 605gms according to Maxxis), and obviously the tubes.

In looking at an upgrade with arches/TWE/fast-traks, i'd be looking to lose roughly 1kg all up from the wheels. I'm a little on the heavier side (90kgs kitted up) so based on feedback, rims like the Crests etc might be too flimsy for me. But, as i say, the research continues.

Now don't get me wrong either, the wheelset on the anthem is great to start with - they're stiff (particularly up front with the QR15), but the tires suck for the riding i do. I use a crossmark on my the rear of my 26er so can get past that, but up front? nooooo confidence in turns at speed on loose over hard :P
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDummy
    Jubas,
    Sorry if you've already posted: your height and frame size?
    Sorry - had neglected to! I'm 6'1" and riding a large. I've dropped the stem down one spacer (you can just see in my picture) although i'm still playing with the setup. Afraid I don't have any of the other measurements (legs, torso, arms etc). If there's enough need i can track down a tape measure and guide

The bars I'm using are the Easton EA50 flat bars, 685mm wide, 9 degree sweep. Yes, sweep will make a difference in how bars feel and I seem to like 9 degrees - not an alt bar, but brings your hands back into a slightly more natural position. Bar width is personal and supposed to go based on shoulder width, but clearly thats a load of horse $hit as I don't think we have guys rolling around here with 27"+ wide shoulders

To the Ergons, I truly love them and use them on all my bikes, won't ride a bike without them. Right now I use the GX1 and GX2 - no bar ends for the trail bike, bar ends for the road bike (rigid MTB).

Tyre wise, I used to run Crossmarks, but then I'd only run it in the rear and throw an Ignitor upfront. This is quite a popular combo it would seem from the amount it gets thrown out when people ask about combos that are fast, yet have enough grip.
    Thanks for the info - i think that sweep figure sounds more reasonable for me. I don't want to go down the Bontrager 'big sweep' path (17 degrees or something crazy?) but i think i need to find a middle ground.

I think i'll give a bit more thought to the ergons as well - i think my lbs stocks them so i can at least have a feel beforehand. I really do love the feel of foam grips though (i'm not in it for the weight, trust me), but i might have to compromise. Tingling hands/wrists = nono.

I've also seen the ignitor as a common front option, but i'm wondering if i shouldn't just go down the path of the Fast Trak now instead. Decisions, decisions - it's a tough life!

mtbr member
    The tingling you're experiencing could be from bad setup, so definitely go over all of that and see if anything's out. Do you feel pressure on your hands? Your saddle looks quite level, but maybe the angle doesn't work for you. Maybe the angle you have the bars adjusted to doesn't suit and needs to be rotated up or down some. I can immediately feel if I have my saddle adjust too "nose down" as my shoulders start to ache after only minutes.

Can't help you on the tyres, I don't use anything from specialED, I'm more a Maxxis guy myself, although currently running quite aggressive XC A/T R/Rampage F to deal with our hurricane/rainy season. My fast/XC setup used to be as said, Crossmark R/Ignitor F, but that was over 2 years ago and there are loads of new tyres on the market now.

Sorry - had neglected to! I'm 6'1" and riding a large. I've dropped the stem down one spacer (you can just see in my picture) although i'm still playing with the setup. Afraid I don't have any of the other measurements (legs, torso, arms etc). If there's enough need i can track down a tape measure and guide

Thanks for the info - i think that sweep figure sounds more reasonable for me. I don't want to go down the Bontrager 'big sweep' path (17 degrees or something crazy?) but i think i need to find a middle ground.

I think i'll give a bit more thought to the ergons as well - i think my lbs stocks them so i can at least have a feel beforehand. I really do love the feel of foam grips though (i'm not in it for the weight, trust me), but i might have to compromise. Tingling hands/wrists = nono.

I've also seen the ignitor as a common front option, but i'm wondering if i shouldn't just go down the path of the Fast Trak now instead. Decisions, decisions - it's a tough life!

mtbr member
    Just keeping the dream alive, so TTT

In all reality though at this point in the year I'll more than likely hold out through the winter and keep looking on Craigslist for a full suspension 29er someone needs to let go.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike Turner
    Are the decals removable on the 1 polished frame?
    Annoyingly it doesnt look like it. They arent just stickers you can peal off anyway. Theres a clear coat over them all. I was hoping to be able to take everything bar the main giant logo off, haven't worked out how to do that yet.

mtbr member

Feeling a little guilty.

Bought a 2011 Trance X2 6 weeks ago. Great bike but for my area and racing I realised it just wasn't fast enough handling wise and I just couldn't get it to work for me despite multiple adjustments.

3 weeks ago started researching other bikes and settled on a Scalpel 26er or Epic 29er. Decided on the Epic and about to order but realised it would be a 2-3 month wait.

Started a quick research on the Anthem 29er 2 days ago. Decided it would probably work for me a day ago. Called my local dealer - he held one and I bought it today.

I feel a little guilty given the wait times everyone is talking about but befriending your local Giant concept store is handy.

For those waiting for their order - my brief 30 min ride today confirms that the hype/buildup whatever you want to call it is warranted. The bike is all class.

Weight on the Park shop digital scales - 12.13kg with XT pedals (medium - we only get the top model in Australia).
    Love isn't blind... its retarded.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It actually sounds like the AX29 has arrived here in Norway as well. Usually we aren't the first to get next years bikes, but Rune Hoydahls shop has got some. Unfortunately I'm a bit off geografically so won't be able to go check em out.
    As a sidenote; one of the Giant reps told me earlier this year that the bikes we get in Norway (and probably other european countries) are made in Netherlands and therefore not inflicted by the recall. Haven't been able to confirm it though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V-Tach
    I feel a little guilty given the wait times everyone is talking about but befriending your local Giant concept store is handy.
    Great answer, on top of that, all I have to do is move to Australia.

errr...
    ttt

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stock seems to be fairly readily available in Australia at the moment. There are still people waiting on waiting lists, but a fair few shops seem to have them on the floor.

I won't go into what i think about having shop floor for some shops while others are still waiting, but that's the latest update from Aus.

Remember that we're only getting the X1 too..

Mine continues to impress me

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    We now know they exist and are being ridden. Confirmed with pics even.

So what is the shipping lag time behind Australia? Anyone have an anticipated US arrival date yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just returned from my LBS they told me that the bikes ARE in the US but still need to clear customs. No word on when could that happen.

lookin' for a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by dolande
    Just returned from my LBS they told me that the bikes ARE in the US but still need to clear customs. No word on when could that happen.
    Not likely...

you can thank the CPSC for any delay between US and elsewhere arrival dates.

mtbr member
    I work in a shop that sells mainly giant and as far as I have been told, Giant is just waiting for the red tape to get lifted up and we will start seeing bikes very soon after that. We have a lot of these bikes on backorder at this point.

mtbr member
    I have a dream.

It consists of me riding an Anthem 29er before the new year.

errr...
    Since these bikes seem to be the - ( 0 )Y( 0 )

ttt

mtbr member
    Is there another delay on the AX29?

Looking to order and the rep informed the shop should expect jan or feb!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    They've been taking orders since early August on these so I would think they have a pretty good backlog to fill. That's 3 months worth of pre-orders that have to go out before any new deliveries are promised.

I don't know about their production schedules but it seems like the first batch may be sold out before it even gets to the stores. Plus I think they're having delays with the 3x10 drivetrain parts because Shimano can't even keep up with the demand for chainrings. I don't think you can get the 10spd chainrings anywhere yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by frontierwolf
    They've been taking orders since early August on these so I would think they have a pretty good backlog to fill. That's 3 months worth of pre-orders that have to go out before any new deliveries are promised.
    Pre-orders hasn't meant much in Australia for consumers. Pre-orders for bike shops (i.e. shops ordering from Giant) has had a much higher priority. As a result, some people have been on waiting lists for months, while some shops have floor stock. Really, really weird way to do it. My recommendation would be to find Giant's 'favourite' dealer in your city and order there..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Pre-orders for bike shops (i.e. shops ordering from Giant) has had a much higher priority.
    That's what I heard and why my local shop guy was talking to the rep about this bike before they could even order them. He told me the shops place large orders and take up all the stock and that sometimes hot Giant bikes sell out before they even see the floor.

On August 3rd I was told it would be here in October. The recall hit a few weeks after that so I'm hoping I'm still in the first batch to be delivered.

I'm really just looking out for the first bike that comes in to the US. Store, individual, whatever. There haven't been any updates from the Giant reps at all so everyone's just left wondering when they're coming in. If somebody posts that they saw one in a store or someone on a trail with one then at least we know they're on their way.
    Last edited by frontierwolf; 11-11-2010 at 09:38 AM.

lookin' for a hill
    This just in...

Depending on size and model the AX29ers will begin availability between week 45 and week 3 of the new year...

this is week 45!

... also just in, the mail...

The official CPSC recall of the original bikes. coincidence? I think not.

Giant is also offering a $100 store credit to each customer affected by the recall
    Last edited by nikwashere; 11-12-2010 at 04:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Another coincidence, yesterday my lbs guy sent me an email to finalize my wheel build. He also mentioned that "We are getting closer to seeing the bikes shipped from what I have heard today."

Good signs. Hope my size and model are available.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The new frames have arrived, I had the LBS replace mine yesterday.

errr...
    Just got a call from a LBS. They have six AX 29's coming in this Friday or Monday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Update from LBS:

"Bike is going to ship in the next few days. King is out of the blue hubs and looks like it will be at least 4 weeks before they will be ready. Do you want to wait on the blue hubs or go with black which I think I can get now?"

Sigh.

I've waited on the bike since August, do I sit patiently and keep waiting on the blue hubs or just go with the black? Called him and he said if I go with the black hubs I can be riding the bike next week.

mtbr member
    Update from LBS:

"Bike is going to ship in the next few days. King is out of the blue hubs and looks like it will be at least 4 weeks before they will be ready. Do you want to wait on the blue hubs or go with black which I think I can get now?"

Sigh.

I've waited on the bike since August, do I sit patiently and keep waiting on the blue hubs or just go with the black? Called him and he said if I go with the black hubs I can be riding the bike next week.

Blue hubs for sure.

errr...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Blue hubs for sure.
    +1 on blue!

mtbr member
    Definitely the bue hubs, but remember, CK isn't the only company that produces nice hubs in a variety of colours Hope, Hadley, i9

TranceX Rider
    i9 please?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Update from LBS:

Sigh.

Lol, you're kidding. That's rough luck mate - hang in there

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'll be waiting on the Blue Kings. I know that 6 months down the road I'd regret not waiting

My LBS guy builds a lot of I9 wheelsets at his shop but we talked about it a while ago and decided to go with the Kings for this build.

mtbr member
    We got 6 in today some of each model. If your lbs did preorders you will see them soon.

banjo plunker, wrench
    Our shop got in four Anthem X3's today, rode one tonight...well worth the wait! The spec on the X3's is spot-on for a $2300+ bike...Fox F29 RL, Fox RP2 w/lock-out, 10spd triple SLX shifters, Deore crankset, SLX Rear Der., wheels are the only thing that could be replaced if not satisfied, F and R Elixir 3's with 7" front, 6" rear. I changed only the tires...to Ardent 2.4's (plenty of room for 2.5's), Rear brake rotor to 7" to match front, Flat Giant bar replaced with Holzfeller white 40mm rise, and lastly took off the Fizik, and replaced with a WTB Pure V...

mtbr member
    SO, what was the verdict? Bit overkill with the Ardents on that sort of rig, but interesting to know they fit - with how much clearance for mud? Spec wise pretty damn decent for the $$.

Quote Originally Posted by swaneedawg
    Our shop got in four Anthem X3's today, rode one tonight...well worth the wait! The spec on the X3's is spot-on for a $2300+ bike...Fox F29 RL, Fox RP2 w/lock-out, 10spd triple SLX shifters, Deore crankset, SLX Rear Der., wheels are the only thing that could be replaced if not satisfied, F and R Elixir 3's with 7" front, 6" rear. I changed only the tires...to Ardent 2.4's (plenty of room for 2.5's), Rear brake rotor to 7" to match front, Flat Giant bar replaced with Holzfeller white 40mm rise, and lastly took off the Fizik, and replaced with a WTB Pure V...

banjo plunker, wrench
    SO, what was the verdict? Bit overkill with the Ardents on that sort of rig, but interesting to know they fit - with how much clearance for mud? Spec wise pretty damn decent for the $$.
    I will post some pics later on this evening, tires may seem a bit "overkill" but will sure protect the weak rims! The tires are also a great combo for the east coast mud, loamy terrain and sidewalls hold up well to the sharp rocks as well. Spec is great, 10spd components!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swaneedawg
    I will post some pics later on this evening, tires may seem a bit "overkill" but will sure protect the weak rims! The tires are also a great combo for the east coast mud, loamy terrain and sidewalls hold up well to the sharp rocks as well. Spec is great, 10spd components!
    What do you think of the stock wheels?

How do you like the hub engagement?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 743power
    We got 6 in today some of each model. If your lbs did preorders you will see them soon.
    Where are you?

mtbr member
    nj.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X 29er 1-2-3 re-release date info ?-photo.jpeg  

banjo plunker, wrench
    What do you think of the stock wheels?

How do you like the hub engagement?
    Wheels are basically the same rims that are on the Talon One, with better hubs...would rather Giant have spent more money on better rims, and less on the saddle. Did not care for the Fizik Tundra saddle. Changed the OEM saddle out for a WTB Pure V cro-moly.

Hubs are great spec, front 15mm no-brainer and is spot-on, rear seems okay so far, engagement is on par with Shimano, definately not a DT/Swiss or C.King, but good nonetheless!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 743power
    nj.
    Is that first bike a small??

errr...
    The top tube looks steep on that AX 1. I thought it might be a small too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Looks like a small, medium and large?

mtbr member

Handling

So how do these bikes handle compared to the much hyped G2 Geometry of the Gary Fisher & Trek 29ers ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think the Anthem X 29er actually feels much more agile than the Trek/GF's new Hifi/Rumblefish frames. I was following a friend of mine on his 26er(2007 Hifi Deluxe) through some twisty single track and had to work moderately hard on the Hifi Plus to keep up. He wasn't out running me but I definitely felt like I had to work to keep up with him.

A week later I was following that same friend through the same trail on an Anthem 29er and felt that the Anthem X3 29er was definitely more manuverable. I actually felt faster than my friend through the twisties.

However Trek/GF use a burlier frame for the Hifi so if you want to upgrade your fork to a 120 sometime in the future or use a Fox Talas 29er it might be a better platform. The riding position is also more upright on the Hifi versus the Anthem X 29er.

They're both good bikes but the Giant definitely comes with alot more standard equipment.

1. 15/mm T/A fork
    2. Tapered fork. Note that the 2010 Hifi Plus had a tapered headtube but did not use a tapered fork but a regular steerer tube with an insert. The 2011 Hifi Plus will come standard with a Reba SL fork the 2011 Anthem 29er comes standard with a Fox fork.
    3. Fox shock with boost valve.
    4. Shimano Dynasys 10 speed drive train.
    5. The Anthem 29er comes with a Fizik Tundra saddle. The saddle on the 2010 Hifi plus was appauling and it was the first thing that I replaced.
    6. The Anthem 29er, Tiltable seatpost with angle lines

I personally feel that the brakes on both bikes aren't up to par with what either bike can do so I would definitely suggesting upgrading to a brake with a four piston caliper.

mtbr member
    saw two at my LBS this week and feel in love...now I gotta get a job and some $$$...the X3 seems to be the best for the money or at least the best if you are gonna change a few things down the road like wheels, crank and shifters/rear derl.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Where in NJ!?!

banjo plunker, wrench
    Sorry about the delay in the pics of the new Anthem X3 29er in Medium...first of all I'm about 5'11" and the medium frame fits me like a glove. I have about a 32" inseam (standover height), and the bike just "feels" RIGHT! I've gotten a few rides on it now, and am wondering do..."I really need a 5" travel bike"???

As stated earlier in my posts I think the bike is spec'd pretty well for a sub $2400 29er full-suspension. Lock out at both ends, 3x10 drivetrain, press-fit bb, tapered steerer with geometry-corrected offset, and "tons" of tire clearance for both the chain and seatstays and front derailleur. With the larger tires on the stock wheelset...the bike weighs a respectable 30.10 lbs...I changed out the saddle, pedals, rear brake rotor, and tires/tubes, handlebar.

So here's a few pics of the total bike, rear tire clearance and drivetrain, suspension!

The 15mm thru-axle makes the front end noticeably stiffer than the previous 29er QR set-ups that I have had in the past. And the maestro suspension made this bike well worth the wait/weight! Now, I think I'll go out and ride it again, and again, and again!

mtbr member
    so here is my thought...posting so someone will do it b4 I have the money to...
    START WITH:

X3

CHANGE:
    Crank XO 2x10 BLUE
    Shifters XO BLUE
    XO rear der;. in BLUE

MAVIC ST Wheels
    FORMULA THE ONE BRAKES
    GIANT SL Stem
    any carbon bars....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cale399
    START WITH:

X3

CHANGE:
    Crank XO 2x10 BLUE
    Shifters XO BLUE
    XO rear der;. in BLUE

MAVIC ST Wheels
    FORMULA THE ONE BRAKES
    GIANT SL Stem
    any carbon bars....

Was thinking mostly the same thing except the wheels

White Crests with blue nipples

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cale399
    START WITH:

X3

CHANGE:
    Crank XO 2x10 BLUE
    Shifters XO BLUE
    XO rear der;. in BLUE

MAVIC ST Wheels
    FORMULA THE ONE BRAKES
    GIANT SL Stem
    any carbon bars....
    Similar to what I have coming,

X3

Change:
    Crank to SLX
    Headset to Chris King Inset BLUE
    Seatpost to Thomson Masterpiece
    Handlebar to Easton EC 70 Flat
    Stem to Easton EA 90

Stans ZTR Crest rims
    DT Comp Drive/Supercomp Spokes
    Chris King Hubs BLUE

Still waiting on the Blue Hubs and I can't ride the ones it came with because I'm getting a shop credit for 'em. Thought about changing the drivetrain, but XT would only save me about 50-60 grams vs the SLX stuff. Plus I like the look.

It's a toss up for me on the brakes. The Elixr's look to be pretty decent but I'm undecided on if there's any bang for the buck with an upgrade there. I'll see what it weighs with the changes I'm making. I have a number in mind and if switching the brakes would make it for me I'll be doing it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I really liked mine but bought a large and should have gotten a medium. Now i have to sell it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Anybody get frame weights before the completes were rebuilt with the new frames?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Does anyone have a weight on the AX2? I'm going to maybe get that one and go a little bit crazy with it, but am curious what the weight is on it first. BTW, the competitor for the "other" bike I'm considering is an Anthem Advanced SL1.

*edit...I should have said the AX2 in large. BTW, since I have the cash to blow (settlement from assault while riding), I'm going with:

Strip frame 90% (leave rear shock and fork)

XX drivetrain
    Thomson seatpost and stem
    Monkeylite bar?
    Either American Classic tubeless wheels or Industry Nine tubeless
    Specialized Captain front and Fast Track rear

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone care to comment on the handling of this bike in the tight singletrack? Those chainstays seem long, but I know its just one number on the total geometry of a bike.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    https://www.bikerumor.com/2010/10/07...t-and-details/

That preview has a weight for the X1. I think I read somewhere that the frame is just under 6lbs.

In other news, the existence of my bike has been visually confirmed.

Last edited by frontierwolf; 11-24-2010 at 09:39 PM.

mtbr member
    My LBS got in their preorders of Anthem X's last week.

I'm proud to say that I am the first to buy one in my area. They let me take one out to our local trails and ride a couple laps and I was sold. This is the most responsive 29er I've ridden. Excellent handling and for the money, the stock setup is very impressive compared to this years competition.

For reference, I bought the Anthem X 3. Though I didn't have them weigh it front of me, my LBS had weighed it prior and said it was right at 29lbs stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Loggahead

For reference, I bought the Anthem X 3. Though I didn't have them weigh it front of me, my LBS had weighed it prior and said it was right at 29lbs stock.
    What size did you get?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzman
    What size did you get?
    I got a medium. Medium 29ers in general are my ticket. I'm 5'11", 145lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by george7117
    Anyone care to comment on the handling of this bike in the tight singletrack? Those chainstays seem long, but I know its just one number on the total geometry of a bike.

Any thoughts?
    I have 30 trail miles on my X3. Our local course is overall considered medium difficulty singletrack. The handling on this bike is incredible. From what I'm used to, this is the best handling 29er I've ever ridden. I was riding an 08 Fisher 29er hardtail that is in for warranty and am awaiting the 2011 Rig frame as its replacement.

I do a little bit of local racing and the first time out on this bike, I increased my time by 30 seconds. Im riding the X3 stock. Obviously, the first upgrade I will be looking for is a wheelset. I have a set of AC MTB 29ers on my hardtail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    While the AX3 is still the bike I am leaning towards the Spearfish is still an option as is not buying a bike this year.

1.5 lighter out of the box.
    2X10 drive train. (might be important to some, to me it is)
    Same Price.

Guess we will have to wait and see about the suspension on the Spearfish, but that could be said about Giant adapting theirs to the 29er platform.

Really amazing though that the ax1 is just over 1.5lbs lighter it comes at a much steeper price.

As a multiple bike buyer every year I am thinking about sitting this year out the prices just don't add. up.

To get the same spec of the ax1 on the ax129er its will cost an addition $875.

People are getting duped.
    Last edited by heythorp; 11-26-2010 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was looking at the Spearfish as well. I think the real Anthem vs Spearfish debate is going to come down to the suspension design. The Spearfish is a single pivot which is a bit of a turn off for me at this point, plus the Fox TA over the Reba w/QR really appeals to me. The frames should be within .5 lb of each other on the scale.

As far as the full build goes I would rather have the X3 SLX drivetrain than the X-7/X-9 combo. The Spearfish wheels are probably it's biggest component advantage over the X3 and there's probably close to 1lb of the weight difference right there depending on if Salsa weighed the bike with tubes or not. I wouldn't be keeping either wheelset, so Salsa put more of their spec money to a place that wouldn't benefit me.

I would definitely build up a Spearfish rather than going with the Complete Bike. I agree on the price of the X1 being high but they will sell. Some people are going to buy the X1 just because they like the polished look or because they're looking for "XT spec." When the X3's are all gone ppl will buy the X1 just because that's what's left in the store.

What I really wonder is if Giant is making these frames for Salsa?

mtbr member
    Giant X1 29er wheelset weight is 1900grams. I doubt the Spearfish wheels weigh anywhere neat 1500g which would make them a pound lighter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Giant X1 29er wheelset weight is 1900grams. I doubt the Spearfish wheels weigh anywhere neat 1500g which would make them a pound lighter.
    I wasn't talking about the X1 wheelset. I'm thinking the X3 wheelset is probably around 2000+ grams and the Salsa set around 1800g And I'm thinking the Salsa overall weight is without tubes since they're using arch rims. 2000-1800 + 2x150 gram tubes would give you around 500g difference in wheel/tire/tube setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well Brown Santa showed up at the shop with my frame today. Can't wait to get it built up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike29
    Well Brown Santa showed up at the shop with my frame today. Can't wait to get it built up.
    Have them weigh that bad boy before they build it. Enquiring minds want to know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Weight

At a Giant Bike Store they weighted a medium Anthem X 29er 1 on a digital scale. I read 26.05 lbs.

banjo plunker, wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by mmpotash
    At a Giant Bike Store they weighted a medium Anthem X 29er 1 on a digital scale. I read 26.05 lbs.
    The medium Anthem X2 29er with plastic OEM pedals weighs in at 28.02 on our Park digital scales...not bad at all
    Last edited by swaneedawg; 12-14-2010 at 07:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah Superfly
    Have them weigh that bad boy before they build it. Enquiring minds want to know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Size?

Thanks. thats a nice weight for FS

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Oh my bad it's an XL

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    [QUOTE=Bike29]Oh my bad it's an XL[/QUOTE

Wow! If that weight includes seatpost collar and rear shock it's almost 1/2 lb lighter than a Spearfish and less than 1/2lb heavier than a Tallboy or a SF100. In other words crazy light for an aluminum FS 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Oh my bad it's an XL

Wow. XL at 5.51.

Anything on the frame? Seat clamp?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What exactly changed with the original recalled frames vs the new ones? Visually I'm not seeing much of a difference. I'm just curious what has taken place to rectify the issues.

Kudos to Giant for the good support they've been giving. It makes me feel THAT much better about buying my first Giant road bike just 3 weeks ago. I was up in the air between a Trek and this Defy 1 but I'm glad I made my choice with Giant.

Is there a way to email Giant? I can't seem to find anything on the site. (US)

Also - I used to see with some other manufacturers videos of actual stress tests on the frames, where you could see them hooked up to machines for hours on end as they put the frames through their paces. Is there anything like this from Giant? I'm curious to see (if possible) just how extensive their stress tests are when testing in-house.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've been keeping up with this and I haven't seen a real reason given anywhere. It seems like the top tube seatpost junction was mentioned but I haven't seen/heard of an example of a broken Anthem X 29er. The people who have seen both pre and post recall frames have reported little to no noticeable difference in the appearance of the frames. It could be as simple as they realized a tube spec was off, or the way a weld was made was insufficient on the initial runs and could lead to breakage. There was no public outcry for a recall like they had/have with Fisher, Niner, or the Reign lower link.

These bikes were initially recalled by Giant back in August before many had been sold. The official CSPC recall came much later (November) and was probably a formality at that point to make sure official notification was sent out. I really doubt the recall was initiated by breakages in the field. I think it's most likely that Giant noticed something in their internal testing and decided to do a pre-emptive recall due to the limited numbers out on the street.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've been keeping up with this and I haven't seen a real reason given anywhere. It seems like the top tube seatpost junction was mentioned but I haven't seen/heard of an example of a broken Anthem X 29er. The people who have seen both pre and post recall frames have reported little to no noticeable difference in the appearance of the frames. It could be as simple as they realized a tube spec was off, or the way a weld was made was insufficient on the initial runs and could lead to breakage. There was no public outcry for a recall like they had/have with Fisher, Niner, or the Reign lower link.

These bikes were initially recalled by Giant back in August before many had been sold. The official CSPC recall came much later (November) and was probably a formality at that point to make sure official notification was sent out. I really doubt the recall was initiated by breakages in the field. I think it's most likely that Giant noticed something in their internal testing and decided to do a pre-emptive recall due to the limited numbers out on the street.
    That's what I thought too... because the recall specifically said no injuries or anything else was reported, so I assume they had caught it "in house" as some units were trickling out. They also mentioned that there were 370 or so of these frames being recalled. Granted, it's a 2011 so only a few early birds may have gotten the bikes, but I thought that felt kind of small for a company the size of Giant. I wonder how many 2010 Anthem X's they sold for comparative reasons...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Update: Giant explained it today right here http://www.bikerumor.com/2010/12/01/...lding-bicycle/

From Article: Andrew Justkaitis, Giant’s press liason and the guy holding the bike for us above, filled in the blanks regarding the recent recall:

BIKERUMOR: What was the fix… Stronger weld? Slight redesign?
    AJ: Changed the wall thickness on the toptube—it wasn’t the weld that was failing.

BIKERUMOR: Can you simply re-weld the recalled frames and return them, or do you have to trash those frames and send new ones?
    AJ: It wasn’t the weld that failed. All recalled frames are destroyed/recycled.

BIKERUMOR: It didn’t seem like very many frames were affected…was it only from a certain batch, or was that all that had managed to get out the door before you caught the issue?
    AJ: First batch= less than 300

According to our local rep and dealer, the new (post-recall) frames are already shipping out. They’ll have the thicker wall thickness on the toptube, which apparently solved the problem. Presumably, the weight shown in the photo won’t change but a few grams with the stronger top tube.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice. Glad to hear the inside scoop on it.

I wonder how the Anthem X 29er compares to the X 26er, in terms of top tube thickness with the metal.

On the other hand, it's good to know the welds were withholding as well as they were and that hey weren't the issue. That's what (oddly) always has me nervous in terms of frame construction - whether the welds can hold.

Kudos to Giant for acknowledging an issue before it became a problem - even at the expense of $$ and some frustrated (but faithful) Giant riders.

mtbr member
    Just a heads up for another example of bike weight. They measured my new Anthem 29er x3 with the fat demo pedals installed. size L was exactly 29 pounds 8 ounces. So probably real close to 29 without pedals.
    Last edited by 56cbr600rr; 12-05-2010 at 11:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 56cbr600rr
    Just a heads up for another example of bike weight. They measured my new Anthem 29er x3 with the fat demo pedals installed. size L was exactly 19 pounds 8 ounces. So probably real close to 19 without pedals.
    Didn't you miss 10lb's off there!
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member

New question here.

Question now is, will they come to their senses, stop being weight weenies and make a proper link for the ReignXs and make those owners happy before they jump ship?

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted
    Nice. Glad to hear the inside scoop on it................................................ .............Kudos to Giant for acknowledging an issue before it became a problem - even at the expense of $$ and some frustrated (but faithful) Giant riders.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    Didn't you miss 10lb's off there!
    Yeah he did I was there he was prob up late and missed the number....BUT it was 29 lbs and 8 oz ie 29.5 lbs with WalMart pedals...he's picking it up today...

lookin' for a hill
    ok, so we know the frame is light. how about someone rip the rubber off those puppies and give us a weight on the wheelset...

mtbr member
    The X1 model wheelset is 1900 grams.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Okay. One of my dirty friends bought mine out from under me (LBS ordered a large X2 for me, but I hadn't decided if I was 100% on board yet, so my fault). Like stated, it was a large Anthem 29er X2 (the black one). This bike, in large, with no pedals, BUT with all the reflectors, weighed in at 27lbs 8oz on the Park Tool digital scale the shop has. I was there and was the one who weighed it. This solidified my decision to get the bike for sure. The next one, which is MINE MINE MINE will be here in about 2-2.5 weeks!

mtbr member
    I'm sorry but ROFLMAO Shoulda at least put down some cash as a hold on it As they say.... You Snooze, You Loose!

Quote Originally Posted by dartingd
    Okay. One of my dirty friends bought mine out from under me (LBS ordered a large X2 for me, but I hadn't decided if I was 100% on board yet, so my fault). Like stated, it was a large Anthem 29er X2 (the black one). This bike, in large, with no pedals, BUT with all the reflectors, weighed in at 27lbs 8oz on the Park Tool digital scale the shop has. I was there and was the one who weighed it. This solidified my decision to get the bike for sure. The next one, which is MINE MINE MINE will be here in about 2-2.5 weeks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm sorry but ROFLMAO Shoulda at least put down some cash as a hold on it As they say.... You Snooze, You Loose!
    nah...it's cool...he's gonna let me test ride it before i 100% go in for mine...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Am perplexed and need assistance from the Mtn bike crowd. Been racing Tri's and road for 10 years and going to enjoy mtn. biking. Not a young guy anymore, so looking at Full Suspension and narrowed choices to 29er, be it an Anthem X1 (ps.... LBS had a large X1 that weighed 17.3 lbs out of the box) or Specialized Epic Carbon Comp. I like the XT components on the Giant and Maestro system, yet like the pedigree of the Specialized and 2x10 components, along with weight loss vs. Giant (approx. 1.1 lbs) is intriguing. Not sure I want a carbon bike slapping rocks in Northern GA?

Appreciate the input~

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by seattle43
    Am perplexed and need assistance from the Mtn bike crowd. Been racing Tri's and road for 10 years and going to enjoy mtn. biking. Not a young guy anymore, so looking at Full Suspension and narrowed choices to 29er, be it an Anthem X1 (ps.... LBS had a large X1 that weighed 17.3 lbs out of the box) or Specialized Epic Carbon Comp. I like the XT components on the Giant and Maestro system, yet like the pedigree of the Specialized and 2x10 components, along with weight loss vs. Giant (approx. 1.1 lbs) is intriguing. Not sure I want a carbon bike slapping rocks in Northern GA?

Appreciate the input~
    Where are you located? I'm in Northern GA as well. BTW, I'm assuming you're saying 27.3 lbs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Weight corrected

Yes, 27.3 lbs. Live in Alph, GA

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I wouldn't worry too much about the weight difference. The Giant's look to have heavy seatpost, seat, and bar which are probably places you might want to customize for fit anyway.

There is a major difference in the suspension designs. The best bet is to do a real test ride and see which you like the best. I test rode the Epic 29 and a Pivot 429 and just liked the short link designs better. Plus I wasn't big on some shock feedback I was feeling from the brain on the Epic.

The real key is which bike feels right to you out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Here's a pic of my Anthem X3 Medium. It is currently weighing in at 27lb 5oz. It was 29lb on the nose bone stock. As pictured, I have upgraded to a Stans wheelset, WTB Pure SLT saddle, and have Eggbeater SLs.

For some more stats, I took the stock S-XC2 wheelset to my LBS and had them weighed. 2170g with no skewers or rotors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Size for X3?

Great pic and info on the bike...what size?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ^^^he put medium...thanks for the wheelset weight btw...good info to have!

mtbr member
    Anyone has the X1 wheelset?

They're supposed to weigh 1900g but I was wondering how good are the hubs and how stiff they are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have the X1 here in Canberra - have been riding for a while now…
    Wheelset is 1910g by my scales.
    Feels stiff - I can't tell the difference between the 29er and my old 26 Anthem1 as far as the wheels go. Hubs are good - front is no brand and rear is DT Swiss 350 with a satisfying purr on the star ratchett…all happy here except it has been raining for the last two weeks and trails are too soggy to ride :-( Don't want to trash the hard work of the trail pixies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very happy with my Anthem X29, first ride today @ Daisy Hill Brisbane Aus.
    Rides, rolls & feels like a 26inch bike, I like the way it sits, steers through single track very well, much better than the Gary Fisher Paragon I have had for the last 3 years, and all the drama's I have had with it (3 frame changes due to cracking).
    Ive had lots of bikes, Specialized epic, Yeti 575, Intense spider.
    Can't say enough about this bike, purchased the bike for $3k best money I have ever spent, up graded the saddle, seat post, bars, grips & tyres,
    If your looking for a 29inch dualy grab one of these quick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My Anthem X 29er2 came today !!! It's been fully stripped down to the frame, fork, and shock. My Sram X0 should be here next week, and I don't have the cash saved quite yet for the C29ssmax wheelset. I stripped the wheels that came with the bike (because I'm selling them if I can find a buyer, lol) and they weighed 2090 grams. Sounds like the hub upgrade on the X1 saves a bit of weight. Almost half a pound!
    Last edited by dartingd; 12-13-2010 at 06:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm going to race this bike...Not 100% sure yet on whether I'm going riser or flat bar. Any ideas? I went with the Anthem because my XTC 29er1 gave me back problems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well my frame came in 2 weeks ago and I finally got the wheels in today. I still need to drop the fork down to 100mm. That should lower the front end. First ride at sunrise tomorrow.

Sorry for the crappy pic, I will try to get some on the trail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X 29er 1-2-3 re-release date info ?-157003_814186955821_17005568_43836169_4257873_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Size

I'm 6'4 ( 195cm ) and I want to get one of these bikes, what size should I get?
    What size are you tall guys riding?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well my frame came in 2 weeks ago and I finally got the wheels in today. I still need to drop the fork down to 100mm. That should lower the front end. First ride at sunrise tomorrow.

Sorry for the crappy pic, I will try to get some on the trail
    What did those Havens weigh in at? The American Classic 29er Tubeless that is advertised at 1600 grams weighed in for us at 1645 without skewers or valve stems. Respectable imho. BTW, I have my bike built now. I'll post the build and weight in a second. I would recommend an XL if you're 6'4". Now for my bike!

Large Anthem X 29er 2
    Stock Stem
    Truvativ Noir Team carbon handlebar
    Oury grips
    Thomson Seatpost (uncut, but will be cut soon)
    Fizik Aliante XM saddle (Kium rails/carbon shell...weighed more than the stock post/rails by 50 grams btw)
    Full Sram X0 2x10 minus disc brakes and chain
    Formula "The One" disc brakes with 7" formula rotors front AND rear
    Stock Giant Wheelset off my XTC 29er 1 (Selling the ones off the anthem since they're new/unridden) with Specialized Captain Control "2-Bliss" (not the s-works, though)
    no pedals yet, but going with crank bros. egg beater 3 (nicest before the titaniums)
    KMC chain (gold bling )
    No bottle cage yet, but going with the gloss red blackburn one.

All this weighed in at 26lbs. 2oz. I really feel this is respectable given I can save close to 2lbs. with a nice wheelset and the s-works version of the specialized tires (I'll race fast track in rear and control up front). BTW, the tires I'm running are 2.0. Not a fan of larger tires for some reason. They ride very well imho though. Hope these weights helped someone!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

pics

I wanted to post my new bike!!! Just thought there should be more pics of this bike on this thread!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X 29er 1-2-3 re-release date info ?-picture-406.jpg  

Anthem X 29er 1-2-3 re-release date info ?-picture-407.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sorry I didn't weigh the wheels before I put them on. I will, however, say they are the strongest, most confidence inspiring wheels I have ever had. I am getting ready to buy another new bike, I will probably get another set of havens.

lookin' for a hill
    What's the size and tuning options of the shock and what's the leverage ratio for the AX29 frame?

update: 6.5 x 1.5, 1:2.4, bike specific tune.
    Last edited by nikwashere; 01-04-2011 at 08:34 PM.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What the crap, I think my local Giant dealer may be pulling a fast one. I was in the other day and weighed a large X1 on their Park scale. With test ride pedals and reflectors the scale showed 26.1 lbs. I also put a large rumblefish (not sure what model but it cost a little over 2.9k) and it weighed 30.1 lbs. Is it common practice for shops to adjust their scale downward? I sense shenanigans. I was pretty much leaning towards this bike over a Specialized Carbon Comp because it's weight appeared comparable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Maybe they changed the tyres - Crossmarks supplied are not the lightest rubber around. My med X1 weighed in at 26.4lbs before I went tubeless - light tyres could drop another pound almost…
    But I don't think they really have to try to sell them - they are flying out of the door here.
    Last edited by tegski; 01-04-2011 at 10:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    So I've got a X2 size XL. Have sold the original wheels and moved on to some Easton EA90 XCs. Down to 27lbs with Time ATACs WTB Devo saddle and a Ritchey WCS stem. Would like to go to a 2x10 set up. Does anyone know if the SRAM XX crankset in the 156q factor will clear the chainstays? I think it should but any info would help.

Can anyone share what tires are lighter than the Crossmarks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anthem X 29er 1-2-3 re-release date info ?-dsc01135.jpg  

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tegski
    Maybe they changed the tyres - Crossmarks supplied are not the lightest rubber around. My med X1 weighed in at 26.4lbs before I went tubeless - light tyres could drop another pound almost…
    But I don't think they really have to try to sell them - they are flying out of the door here.
    I'll go back and check a little closer. The owner said it was completely stock, but he may be clueless. Apparently bikes aren't selling quickly 'round here and he was willing to knock off a few hundred dollars; I hadn't even asked about a discount. The other issue for me is size, I'm just a hair under 6' 2" and am not sure if I'd prefer an XL. They had the other models, both were in large sizes. Kinda weird.
    Last edited by TCW; 01-05-2011 at 01:43 PM.

lookin' for a hill
    AX 29er 2 Large Full bike weight: 27.34
    Frame with headset cups and Shimano pressfit BB: 5.78
    Scale: Feedback Sports Alpine

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Mine's done. For now.

It's been over 4 months since I put my first money down on this bike. Waited on the recall, waited on the hubs, and finally everything comes together in time for ice storms in the south.

Upgrades from standard X3;

Thomson Masterpiece Post
    EDGE Composites Low rise handlebar
    FiZik Arione Saddle
    Chris King Inset Headset Blue
    Shimano SLX Crankset
    Shimano XTR Pedals (2011)
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 Front (Tubeless ready)
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.23 Rear (Tubeless ready)
    Chris King Hubs Blue
    Stan's ZTR Crest Rims
    Front & Non Drive Rear DT Supercomps
    Rear Drive DT Comps

The wheels were under 1700 grams.

The total bike came in at 26.1lbs with pedals

Still have the SLX drivetrain and the Elixr 3's. The SLX stuff seems fine to me for now. I'm tempted to put some XO brakes on there but I'll wait and see how the Threes do.

I'm pretty happy with the way the bike turned out.

To PNWrider above, the Schwalbe RRon and RRalph were around 580 and 560 grams which is a bit lighter than the Crossmarks.

errr...
    F-wolf:

Looks really really good! Very well thought out. The blue saddle, blue King hubs... those bars. Wow. What grips are those ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Those are the giant grips. I read somewhere (maybe MBA?) that they work pretty well so I'm going to keep them for a while.

TranceX Rider
    Sick ride, wolf! I'm in love now with the 29'er! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TCW
    What the crap, I think my local Giant dealer may be pulling a fast one. I was in the other day and weighed a large X1 on their Park scale. With test ride pedals and reflectors the scale showed 26.1 lbs. I also put a large rumblefish (not sure what model but it cost a little over 2.9k) and it weighed 30.1 lbs. Is it common practice for shops to adjust their scale downward? I sense shenanigans. I was pretty much leaning towards this bike over a Specialized Carbon Comp because it's weight appeared comparable.
    I just picked up my Anthem X1 on Saturday. Put my pedals (crank bros 2ti) on at the shop to do a quick fit. Had them weigh it on their scale and it wsa 26.1. Wondering the same thing, the first thing I did when I got home was put it on the scale. Confirmed. Matched the 26.1 lbs exactly. I'm hoping for around 25 flat when I'm done with some upgrades. We'll see how long the funds last!

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chainringX2
    I just picked up my Anthem X1 on Saturday. Put my pedals (crank bros 2ti) on at the shop to do a quick fit. Had them weigh it on their scale and it wsa 26.1. Wondering the same thing, the first thing I did when I got home was put it on the scale. Confirmed. Matched the 26.1 lbs exactly. I'm hoping for around 25 flat when I'm done with some upgrades. We'll see how long the funds last!
    Good to hear the weight is legit and not LBS fudging. I'll have test ride it and the Specialized and see what feels best. Thanks for the info btw.
    Last edited by TCW; 01-20-2011 at 06:17 PM.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Can someone please post the BB height of a Large Anthem X 29er. Nothing on the Giant website. Thansk!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTL
    Can someone please post the BB height of a Large Anthem X 29er. Nothing on the Giant website. Thansk!
    12.5".

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    12.5".
    Thanks, do you notice a lot of pedal strikes on the Anthem X 29er?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DTL
    Thanks, do you notice a lot of pedal strikes on the Anthem X 29er?
    Before answering I just have to say that due to weather I've only had one real ride on this bike and it was my first extended time with a 29er. This bike deserves a full review after I have it out 10 or so times.

I've had a few strikes on mine. It's not completely dialed in yet so I may still be sitting a bit low in the travel but I did notice a few. One other caveat is that my other bike is a rigid 26" bike converted to 650b. It has around 13.25" at the BB so I probably haven't adjusted to the lower bb height yet.

Going from a twitchy rigid 650b I'll also have to adjust to the handling a bit. I noticed myself going wider on some curves. I chalk that up to riding style because this is my first 29er. It didn't feel like it was the bike, but really like I should have turned sooner or had too much speed going into the corner. Conversely the tires track so well that you can take the curves harder if you see them coming and start digging earlier. There's a little tradeoff.

Another thing I have to get used to again is seated pedaling. My rigid is also a SS so I'm used to standing for the hills. If you sit and spin on the Anthem there's loads of traction and no bob. I need to firm the suspension up to stand on the Anthem. It does have a lockout on the front for extended climbing and I ran it with the propedal in the - position.

My LBS set up the susp when I was fitted and I don't even know what pressure is in there. I do know the front sag is correct, the rear may need a few more lbs but I didn't hit full travel on my last ride. I didn't do any drops but that trail was rooty enough to have those strikes so the potential to use all the travel was there.

I do think the bike is great. It's light, it flies, it rides like a magic carpet. It seems odd to me that it's harder to pull up the front wheel but easier to hop than any bike I've been on. My last FS was a 4" short linkage race bike and the Anthem 29er is light years ahead of it.

There's an adjustment period with any new bike/format and I get the feeling that after a few more rides I'll have it dialed in perfectly and have years of flow ahead of me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I took mine out for the first time last Saturday. The guy I went with decided to take me to a trail I've never been to and of all the trails I've ridden around here (Colorado), it's hands down the most technical. So, a great way to test suspension.... I noticed right away that I wasn't even close to optimal suspension set up. I went off about a 2' drop and bottomed out the rear shock. Later when going down a really steep rock slab with a slight drop at the end, I bottomed out the front. I will say that I was banging my pedals a lot. I'm coming from a Giant Trance in which that was never a problem. However, I never used to hit my pedals on that bike. I was even smacking my chain ring a few times. I will say this though.... I ended up ripping a whole in the sidewall of the rear tire and ripped a hole in the side of my shoe... The guy I was with was on a 7" travel bike and he said he was smacking his pedals all day too. With that I'm not sure what to think without more riding. I will say I rode on some mellow trails last night and was flying. Thing corners awesome

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Before answering I just have to say that due to weather I've only had one real ride on this bike and it was my first extended time with a 29er. This bike deserves a full review after I have it out 10 or so times.

I've had a few strikes on mine. It's not completely dialed in yet so I may still be sitting a bit low in the travel but I did notice a few. One other caveat is that my other bike is a rigid 26" bike converted to 650b. It has around 13.25" at the BB so I probably haven't adjusted to the lower bb height yet.

Going from a twitchy rigid 650b I'll also have to adjust to the handling a bit. I noticed myself going wider on some curves. I chalk that up to riding style because this is my first 29er. It didn't feel like it was the bike, but really like I should have turned sooner or had too much speed going into the corner. Conversely the tires track so well that you can take the curves harder if you see them coming and start digging earlier. There's a little tradeoff.

Another thing I have to get used to again is seated pedaling. My rigid is also a SS so I'm used to standing for the hills. If you sit and spin on the Anthem there's loads of traction and no bob. I need to firm the suspension up to stand on the Anthem. It does have a lockout on the front for extended climbing and I ran it with the propedal in the - position.

My LBS set up the susp when I was fitted and I don't even know what pressure is in there. I do know the front sag is correct, the rear may need a few more lbs but I didn't hit full travel on my last ride. I didn't do any drops but that trail was rooty enough to have those strikes so the potential to use all the travel was there.

I do think the bike is great. It's light, it flies, it rides like a magic carpet. It seems odd to me that it's harder to pull up the front wheel but easier to hop than any bike I've been on. My last FS was a 4" short linkage race bike and the Anthem 29er is light years ahead of it.

There's an adjustment period with any new bike/format and I get the feeling that after a few more rides I'll have it dialed in perfectly and have years of flow ahead of me.

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Pedal Strikes

I went from a 26" Intense Tracer to the Anthem X 29er 1. There are definitely more pedal strikes with the Giant but it isn't a big deal. Otherwise it is a great bike!

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Any ideas how much air pressure the rear shock would require on an X 1 for my weight: 210 lbs.?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've had a few more rides on the bike now and I like it more each time I'm on it. I keep pushing my speed more and more to see what it can do.

I still haven't touched my rear setup. It's riding good.

It's alot more confident leaning into curves that have the occasional roots in them. I don't feel like I'm going to slide on the off-camber stuff.

I'm pretty well adjusted to the BB height now. My last ride was around 3.5 hours on rooty trails and I had maybe 1 pedal strike. I've adjusted to the wheel size and handling is back to feeling like a 26" wheeled bike.

Standing on the occasional 25% bank incline doesn't really induce alot of bobbing. I think if you're really going at it with constant torq the suspension firms up. If you're on a slightly inclined section standing up to sprint you might have some bob.

This thing is a truly great riding machine.

Members who have read this thread: 0